Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95' Legacy Outback
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many timing belt kits and prices out there, I can't make my mind up on who to go with. A little background, 95' legacy ob 2.2 230K, my waterpump went up, and it's time for a new timing belt. Seems like every kit is diferent, this has the belt and pulleys no waterpump and so on. With 230k this thing reallty don't owe me a dime, kinda contemplating just put a TB, waterpump and a new tensioner on it, who know's if it's going to make another TB change. It's really not that hard to do, the worse thing about this job is in Subaru's infinite wisdom they make the timing belt covers and backing plates out of plastic with steel threaded inserts, making them almost impossible to get the screws out, without snapping the insert out. I have more time than money, a garage and lots of tools and this forum. Any thoughts on which kit? Thanks.
Charlie

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
follow his link above, the importexperts are my favorite and some friends of mine - between us we have done hundreds of Subaru's.

replace all the pulleys and the belt too. 230k miles is no big deal for a 95 EJ22. if you don't overheat it or run it out of oil I could almost put money on it making 300,000 miles without an issue, of course prior maintenance and history come into play and you'll need plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets...but if you can maintain the car the motor will not be the reason you get rid of it, those era EJ22's are absolutely awesome engines. i would "expect" 300,000 out of that engine, it's one of Subaru's best ever in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
104 Posts
I have also used several kits from theimportexperts and it's always quality parts.

·
Registered
95' Legacy Outback
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the e-bay kit, hopefully everything goes back together well. Thanks.

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
With so many timing belt kits and prices out there, I can't make my mind up on who to go with.

Any thoughts on which kit? Thanks. Charlie
I didn't use a 'kit' when I did my latest TB, waterpump changeout, BUT what I will SUGGEST is to also get all of the idler pulleys and change them out with your kit.
Flow Subaru here in good old Winston-Salem, NC didn't change mine out (idler pulleys). Low and behold one of the pulleys grenaded (while the wife & I were on an extended vacation weekend), sans end of 'extended weekend'.

Just a heads up,
Later, T.J.

·
Registered
95' Legacy Outback
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well strike one, looks like they sent the wrong kit, waterpump is completely different and the tensioner pulley, just contacted them thru e-bay, hopefully they'll make it right.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
I ordered a TB kit from gates on amazon. Hopefully the parts work well for me. If the quality is poor or a part fails later on I will post it. My other subie will be due next year and I will give these guys a try. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts