Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up on timing belt replacment kits for my car
06 outback 2.5i . Im at 88 k now so have alittle time.
I have been looking on ebay for the kit .
Ive noticed that a lot of the kits say there for
06 Spec Note:Eng. Code "EJ25
or Spec Note:VIN code"G", Eng. Code "EJ25

I looked up my VIN and I have a B insead of a G
Seems there are very few kits that fit the VIN B .

Does anyone know the difference between the G engine and the B engine.

Mike K
South Jersey

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a min and looked up my own question.
Position 4 is Line type, ie. what product line. B is Legacy, G is Impreza, S is Forester

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I wonder if that's variable valve timing differences which came out around 2005..not sure that gets a different belt though...usually impreza and legacy all have the EJ25 and get the same engine parts - but occassionally that changes in cross over years like around 1999 and 2010...maybe 2005-ish for VVT?

You could search subaru's website called opposed forces and it'll show what all different timing belts are available and which years/models they cross reference too.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
RockAuto has the complete Gates Timing belt kit with water pump + ac/ps belts + sparkplugs/wires for a good price. Also there is typical a 5% discount code found on the web for them as well.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a comlpete gates kit on ebay for 249.00
Is that a good price.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I paid $243 and free shipping from Amazon. For my turbo 05 XT

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
Prices from Rockauto

GATES K050344 Belt $ 10.61
GATES K040332 Belt $ 11.30
GATES 38030 Idler Pulley $ 28.79
GATES TCKWP307A Timing Belt Component Kit $ 192.79
NGK 55004 Spark Plug Wire $ 41.79

Add 4 NGKJ Iridium spark plugs and you will have everything need until the next belt change.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I can't answer your original question, but since I just did my timiing belt this last weekend, I can assure you that the Gates kit is complete and of the highest quality (as opposed to the Dayco kit.) The tensioners/pulleys are all there, as well as a few new bolts, washers, and gaskets. The belt itself seems to be JDM. I did the water pump and oil pump when I was in there as well, just as extra insurance. If you do an oil pump, make sure the gasket comes with the kit. And make sure to pick up a new thermostat, as well as upper and lower radiator hoses since you'll have them off anyways. With the new hoses, pick up new clamps because the old ones are IMPOSSIBLE to get back on if you don't have access to a lift.

Last, but most important, there is a special tool to keep the cams in place so they don't turn while you re-route the new belt. I'm not sure where I found mine or what it's called, but it makes the job a HECK of a lot easier. So does a beer-bribed buddy ;)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
FYI:
The XT (turbo) motors are DOHC (2 cams per head) and the cam locking tool is useful.
The NA 2.5i motors are SOHC (only 1 cam) and don't need the tool.
Also there is different kits for each motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts