Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- back in Spetember I had inquired about what to look for etc etc. Well I bought a 96 OB with 100k on it now has 105k and it appears to have jumped time.

Cranks but won't start, I got in/out of 10 times yesterday xmas shopping it ran flawless along with the first snow fall of the year. Was very impressed with AWD.

I know these are interferance engines...SO an experience with this? Is it forgiving to a point like jumping only one or two teeth..or is it once it is out of time may as well kiss the valve train goodbye?

I am considering a local subaru friendly shop ( they have a dozen subarus on the lot at all times) have a look at it. I called them giving a hypethetical situation wehre the engine is shot- they said 2500 for used( recommended path)3500 for remanned...both prices are out the door.

If I go used they will put new waterpump on it, timing belt and I am going to ask them to replace the head gaskets while it is out.

I paid 4600 for this car...two owner, orignally from texas so body/ interior are in great shape. I certainly wouldn't mind putting the money into and just keeping it. Original plan was to own this for a year or two and upgrade to an h6 3.0.

Thanks for an input-
john

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you're lucky, a new timing belt is all you'll need, and it will run like new. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Those prices with labor are "average". You could get the work done for less somehwhere else if you shop around, but what guarantee of quality/experience?

You might want to start searching the web for used engines (and your yellow pages) just so you get an accurate price estimate. Prices will vary widely. I've been quoted as low as $500 for my 4.2L Rover motor, and as high as $5000. It sure pays to shop around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Random- thanks.

The shop that will do the engine swap if necessary is very reputible and been in business for 30 years or more. A very good friend and old school mechanic is going to replace the belt tomorrow ( he has done several sub belts, he is not equipped to perfomr the engine sap, he doens't want to either) and see if it will run. If not it goes to the other shop.

I have gotten some very fair prices so far for used-1500 for 71k mile engine. I have found several high mileage engines, 200k for substantially less money.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lizard- what are the belt guards? Are they for the external accessory belts?

Any pics of what these look like?

Thanks-
john

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
The accessory belts are out in the open, as with just about any car.

But behind them, out of sight, are the timing belts wrapping around the crank and cams and water pump. These are enclosed in a black plastic boxy cover that comes apart in several pieces.

The covers are there to protect the belts by keeping their environment free of interference by anything from the outside - a more elaborate version of a bike chain guard to keep your pants cuffs out of the chain and sprocket.

So, it may be possible that someone has been under those covers, and may not have re-assembled them corrrectly. Or maybe they thought, no one will miss this one piece at the bottom that you can't see when you look under the hood... and if that's the case and some snow could get packed between the belt and one of the sprockets, the snow could force the belt to jump teeth, or even stretch the belt to the point of failure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lizard-

Thanks I wasn't sure if the gaurds you spoke of were for the accessories or timing belt. You made it very clear.

I'll know today what the diagnosis is, I'll report later.

john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
ponjohn
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing