Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 H4 30th anaversity model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed water pump and all idles ect. Put the belt on and I have a problem getting the drivers side intake cam lined up properly. When I start out all the line are where they should be. I rotate the crank 2 times and check all the markings and all are good except the drivers side intake can then seems to be off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
RWT

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 H4 30th anaversity model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were off. I am going to give it a rest. I have had it apart too many times.
RWT

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
here's a trick.
when the belt is loose you can set the pulley just a little bit past the timing mark, and when the belt has tension applied, it will be pulled back "in time" and line up on the mark.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
also, find the tooth count for your engine online, good triple check.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
1. camera angles could be a tad off
2. the tensioner may not be pulled and operating
3. if the belt hasn't been rotated yet then the tension isn't fully dispersed
4. move that crank counterclockwise a millimeter and the cam is going to close the distance even more.
5. combine all of that and it may mitigate what is currently less than a half a tooth difference (#1 notwithstanding)

It may be fine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my older 93 DOHC Dodge Stealth I had to move the crank timing mark back by 2 (as indicated by the factory manual). Then once the belts and all were reinstalled and you pulled the auto-tensioner, it then pulled everything right into line as expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts