Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 04 base outback with the 2.5. It has 208k miles, in 2014 with 137k the owner had the timing belt replaced. After that replacement and now 70k later should i replace the timing belt again? Or am i good to go still, car was serviced often and seems to be in good shape. I inspected the belt, no cracks, arrows line up well, slight shinny texture but teeth look good.

Thanks

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
564 Posts
Recommended interval is 105k miles. So you should be fine.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,834 Posts
It is not the belt itself that fails the most - it is the bearings in one of the pulleys. Get the timing marks lined up, very slowly push down on the tensioner pully and stick a pin in the hole to keep it there, and then spin the various pulys to feel any roughness in them. If you can feel any roughness, replace them, the belt, and the tensioner (Aisin or genuine Subary only), as well as maybe the water pump and the front crankshaft seal.

·
Registered
2002 Outback
654 Posts
Right. If an idler pulley bearing seizes or falls apart, it can damage the timing belt or make it jump cogs and crash! ; valves hit pistons...

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,039 Posts
I would be planning to do a timing belt kit replacement in the near future.

The USA scheduled replacement interval is 10 years or 105,000 miles BUT it is only 60,000 miles in the rest of the world. A timing belt kit takes a bit of time and costs some money but it also gives peace of mind.

Seagrass

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,834 Posts
Use a kit from Aisin or Subaru - NOT Gates or any other that is mostly Chinese parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts