Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the timing belt at 102k on my wife's 2002 outback, along with the water pump, three timing belt pulleys and the tensioner. I think that I got everything right and was very careful, but it seems to be making this "churring" noise. I am pretty sure it didn't make it before. I started it without coolant for about 5 seconds and thought the churring was the water pump. i put 1.5 gal of coolant in and it is still making the noise. At this point i have run it for about 3 minutes. any ideas on what it is? here is a video of it. 2002 outback "churring" - YouTube thanks. -don-

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
probably air being sucked into the Power Steering pump. Look in the reservoir for bubbles/foam.

if you put new drive belts on, one may be dragging on the adjustment bolt head - some folks have found that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like maybe the power steering pump or alternator won't be with us for a real long time, but oh well. put that belt on and tightened it enough, so that it squealed like crazy, then tightened it enough that it quit squealing and everything is all good now!

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
looks like maybe the power steering pump or alternator won't be with us for a real long time, but oh well. put that belt on and tightened it enough, so that it squealed like crazy, then tightened it enough that it quit squealing and everything is all good now!
the proper tension should about 1/3" (8-9mm) deflection with 22 lbs of force halfway between the crank and A/C or alt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
urabn yeti
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing