Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stripped out the bracket hole that the timing belt tensioner mounts to in my 02 OB. My question is how difficult is it to remove and replace the bracket? Would it be easier though possibly a little more expensive to just buy a thread repair kit? I believe the kit is $60 and the bracket can be ordered online for around $45. I would prefer to replace the bracket of course but honestly am new to automotive work and I have been relying on YouTube for guides. I cannot find any videos on the bracket for an OB. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,554 Posts
In most cases, a thread-repair kit (Helicoil) will result in threads which are stronger than original. However, one must know how to properly install the steel threads.

In your case "new to automotive work" I would STRONGLY suggest you consider a new bracket. Perhaps you can find a used one from a junk engine.

Of course, just for fun, you could try to install fresh threads... but be prepared to get a new bracket if it does not work out.
The ONLY way to learn how to do something is to DO IT!!

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
254 Posts
The bracket is very easy to change. I now use a transmission bolt on my tensioners. The transmission bolt is longer and actually uses every thread on the tensioner bracket, it sticks out the other side a little. Since it is using every thread, it would take way over the torque spec to strip the threads (regular bolt used about 3/4 of the threads). Also a transmission bolt is higher grade then a tensioner bolt and will never break.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i, 6M
149 Posts
Go grab the bracket from a wrecking yard.

Bracket is held in place by 2 (or 3?) bolts, easy-peasy to swap out. Pretty generic part across Gen 2 - Gen 4 (2010-2011 only). I used a Gen 2 part to do the same repair to my 2011 and, while it looked slightly different than the original, it fit and functioned exactly the same.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,126 Posts
If you get an old-style bracket, you can also use an old-style tensioner which is considered more reliable.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,046 Posts
MSRP $37.57. Your local dealer almost certainly has it on the shelf.

3 bolts, and it comes off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts