Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to take the car in for a timing belt replacement and would like to have it done right so the engine doesn't need to be opened for as long as possible. I am looking at the Gates Complete Racing Timing Belt Kit (EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts). I have heard that it is good to use an STI water pump for increased flow. It sounds like this kit should have the STI water pump since it is listed for the STI as well. Other than the kit(pulleys, tensioner, belt and water pump) I just need the cam and crank seals, correct?

Also, what should I expect to pay for valve clearance inspection?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Yes, looks good. Water pump gasket, thermostat, and sealant are about all that's maybe missing.

water pump gasket, best gotten from Subaru unless they have the same high quality steel stamped gasket from Subaru, the aftermarket gaskets are flimsy cardboard like stuff. thermostat probably too.

If you're having the valves adjusted you might simply replace the valve cover gaskets while it's apart. They have to come off anyway to adjust the valves and are prone to leak with age/miles. They're only a few dollars and it is zero labor to replace them if you're adjusting valves, so good to time the two particularly since valve cover gaskets don't often make 200,000 miles anyway.

tighten the backing plate screws of the oil pump - some folks also put locktite on any of them that are loose.

Yours is a turbo? All XT's are turbo's, is that true?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Yes, XT = turbo.

I would skip the seals. Not necissary, but get a quote and you decided.

I won't do the racing belt. The regular gates one is fine. Unless you're racing...

Water pump is 50/50, but it sounds like you want to keep the car for the long haul, so probably worth it. I can't comment on the STI pump, although I personally would keep it stock. If you want more cooling, get a bigger radiator.

Amazon has good prices on the kits...

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I hadn't heard about the backing plate screws. I went ahead and ordered the gates racing kit since I will need it here by next Thursday. My 3 month engine warranty expires next Friday and the car is close to 115k so I don't want to chance it blowing up the day after the warranty expires as everything seems to do.

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just dropped the car off this morning. I asked about checking valve clearance and they said it would be 3 hours to check and 10 hours to adjust. I'm skipping it for now since it isn't in the area they are tearing into already. Is this something that I could diagnose by logging? I would rather spend that money on a tactrix cable than them taking a look. The timing belt kit was $300 and estimated labor with thermostat and seals is $450 so I'm not too deep at this point.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
OH MY WORD - 10 hours to adjust, WOW. I haven't done a turbo motor yet but they must not be any fun.

Most Subaru engines rarely have valve issues and they don't show up until 150k - 200k - but being a turbo I'd lean towards doing the valve clearance sooner rather than later, i've heard of them having issues with burnt valves earlier, though i wouldn't call it "common" as i'm unsure.

For example - late 90's EJ25's have horrid shim/bucket valves which are nearly unmaintainable by the DIY type and often ignored since those vehicles aren't worth the high costs to do so...and failure is rare.

If you do it - plan on doing the valve cover and spark plug gaskets (if equipped) at the same time. They are fairly prone to leak and it's zero labor to replace them since they have to come off anyway for the valve adjustment.

Good maintenance, like you're the original owner, and not much heavy use (racing, high revs, high performance towing) would suggest you've got time.
Fuel and intake cleaners, if they help (which it is often suggested they do), might keep the carbon build up down on the valves.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Let us know what the actual final tally is, and where the work is being done. Could help someone out.

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, all rollers I supplied $300
Main seal, cam seals, alternator belt, thermostat and coolant $83
Labor $382

Total $765...not as bad as it could be.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Excellent price! Where was the work done?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts