Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confusion about Forester model years timing belt or timing chain. Some CL ads say chain not belt, but some claim timing belt was changed, with receipts to prove.

All are saying 2.5 engine.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
^^^

/thread

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
just look at cars101.com and yeah you can't trust craigslist adds 100% ever....not even the year is always correctly listed, so just go into with the idea you need to verify if you're looking for a very specific year or fact like timing chain.

"replaced" timing belts are't worth much IMO because the belts rarely break anyway - it's the pulleys, namely the one lower sprocket, that fails and takes the belt with it. granted belts can fail but stats don't indicate any compelling reason to concern yourself with only changing a timing belt on those engines. if i bought a car with a replaced timing belt i'd be replacing the pulleys and tensioner and in the rare event they were replaced i'd be making sure they're Aisin or Subaru parts.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,706 Posts
^^^ yep, better to get a car being 'dumped' because it's up against a timing belt service, bargain the price down, then do the service properly yourself.

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my first tries, long ago, I thought nothing of changing only the belt (toyota, pardon my language). On the second change, same car, thought to check the pulleys. Yikes!. From then on it has been WP, pulleys and belt. On those, usually the oil pump seals as well.

Yes, on those CL cars, or any where "my mechanic" did the work, I usually want to pass and go the Texan way.

I had some friends of mine (ex wifes, actually) that had an Outback and "our mechanic". Always complained about what was going wrong, but never caught on. After a head gasket job, knocking a few weeks later, an engine swap, then a seize . . . well, I guess faith can be blind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts