Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing timing belts on my 2001 OB wagon, with 156K miles on it.
Old belt is off and all has gone well up to this point, BUT:
While aliginging the new timing belt marks and marks on engine I inadvertently turned the left cam past it's mark and it did a "revolution" throwing the whole engine out of sync. I've wrenched for sometime , I'm 66, but I'm unsure as to how many more times I would need to turn the left cam clockwise to get it back in sync with the rest of the engine. And for that fact how do I tell if the crank, right cam, and left cam are all in sync?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
+1 for above.

My belt had 3 marks (white lines) running across the top from from to rear to help line up the belt with the cams and marks on the engine so that I'd know when teeth were synched with the cams (wouldn't want to be even one off). It also had an arrow showing the direction the belt should run - clockwise when facing engine - from passenger side to driver's side. Just get all of those puppies lined up and you should be good to go.

BTW, I'm 51 and needed plenty of ibuprofen when I was done, so have fun. ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the awareness you've shared, back to the wrenching tomorrow.
Yep I do love the challenge but you're right, crawling around on a cold hard concrete floor isn't as much fun as it used to be and the arthitis in the hands is a challenge, but it keeps the mind active.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
popeye2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing