Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The timing belt on my 1995 was replaced in 2002 when there was 57,585
miles on the car. It now has 125,400.

It is leaking coolant & I was told it is likely the water pump but it was recommended if they are going to replace the water pump that the timing belt should be done too.

Is there life left in the timing belt?

What do you think? I love this car & it really has not had any issues, but I don't want to put more money into then needed, since it is 18 years old.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Due to the nature of where the pump is they will have to take the belt off to do the pump, as it's driven by the cam belt, I'd say a a minimum while there in there you should do the belt and unfortunately all the pulleys, it's a rather large expense, but you will be good to go for another 60k,

Plus also get them to check and replace any dud seals while they are in there and reseal the oil pump and replace the oil pump o ring on the back. These items are just insurance but can cause headaches further down the track as the timing gear will need to be accessed again to deal with these.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
It is leaking coolant & I was told it is likely the water pump
stop right there. "likely" isn't good enough. there's also a bypass hose, radiator hose, and thermostat gasket right there which commonly leak, those need to be checked first as they'd cost $20 to repair. don't skip likely $20 repairs and jump into a $500+ repair.

can you take pictures and post them of the leak? it's under the car, front drivers side where the hose goes "into" the engine, that's the water pump it's essentially clamped too.

good news. it might be 18 years old but that is one of Subaru's best motors they've ever made. If you don't run it out of oil or coolant they can easily make 300,000 miles. I have one in one of my daily drivesr with 190k on it now and fully expect 300k if the body can make it. takes some maintenance to get there but it's fairly basic and we can help you with that.

Is there life left in the timing belt?
short answer is no, at the very least buy a $20 belt:
Subaru 2 2 Liter 1994 1995 1996 Legacy Impreza TB254 T254 Timing Belt CarQuest | eBay

the long answer is Subaru EJ timing belts (your car) are very robust and rarely fail. but yours is a 60,000 mile belt and you're already past that. and also - if you're leaking coolant - coolant and oil degrades belt materials quickly and it will break if any coolant got on the belt. so it has a few strikes against it and should be replaced. if it hasn't gotten wet it's 75% likely to make it a long time...most folks don't want to be in the 25% though, taht's no fun just to save $25.

the better bet is to get a complete timing belt kit - they're only like $90 and include all new pulleys. you can buy them with a new water pump if needed as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts