Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase 08 LLB model w the 3.0 6cyl motor, seems to be some conflicting opinions on the replacement of the chain and when. Can I please get some advise on when or if the chain needs to be replaced? Thanks very much, really looking forward to being a Subaru owner soon.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
You should only replace it if you can hear it making bad sounds. This almost never happens- it is designed to last the life of the engine and the overwhelming majority of H6 owners never have an issue with it.

I would personally consider replacing it anyway during a general overhaul if the car had 300,000-400,000 miles, but the point is you have a long maintenance-free way to go first.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Chains wear and stretch a little - the guides wear etc. A timing chain car with 150-180,000 miles on it which you want to have 100% zero worry regarding the old timing gear and you plan on driving the car for a long time is worth the effort.

However most people who have cars in the 150-180K range have reached the point where the vehicles age and the cost of all the other old stuff like shocks and bushings etc they just decide to drive it till something major fails at which point they go find a new car.

So really it all depends on how long you plan on keeping it the condition of the car otherwise and how much money your willing to spend on it to make the car just that more reliable etc. I we had not sold our old land cruiser I would have done the timing chain and gear at 180K with the intention of us having it another 10+ years.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The H6 engine is designed to never have to replace the chain or guides when the engine is properly maintained and using quality oils.

Water pump on these engines is the same. Never replace them.

I put 178k miles on the OE engine, pulled it, installed it into another Outback and it is quiet. Nothing but synthetic oil and replaced within 4500 mile intervals. Royal Purple.

Speaking of which, SubFish, if your reading this, how's the engine treating you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot guys for the replies. After looking at alot of Subaru outbacks we have narrowed to two and both have the 3.0 6cyl engine and one is the LLB model loaded so we are looking forward to the Subaru experience. My son has a WRX and loves it and have had friends w them that have been real happy. We have been Acura/Honda owners w great track record but the Subie just fits the bill better and probably should have had one for years but... Anyways, glad to be a new member to the forum and thanks again for replies. "Enjoy life today"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts