Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L H4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am doing my first timing belt swap on my sister's junk (she considers it junk, I obviously do not) 2.2L Impreza. I know this is an "Outback" forum, but since I plan on doing this on my Outback soon - I think practice counts. Anyway - I'm hoping you very knowledgeable Subbie folks out there will provide me with a sanity check before I release the tensioner and spin my crankshaft a couple of times and reassemble. Does it look like I'm on in terms of timing marks and belt placement? I think I'm good on the passenger cam and crank, but I am nervous I'm off a tooth on my driver's cam. It seems like the mark on my belt on the DS cam doesn't align with a groove on the pulley, so it could go either way and I'm worried I went the wrong way.

For those curious, this car had the toothed idler bust, and I'm sure timing skipped at least a tooth or two but it somehow managed not to break the belt or get too far off that I'm hoping there's no valve damage, and if it runs, I may get to inherit this car for my time.

Thanks in advance! Pics of my timing marks setup:

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
That's more or less how mine looked. Did you pull the release pin on the tensioner yet? The driver's side looked like its a little off until the tensioner engaged, which pulled the markings exactly in line.

On a 2.5L outback engine, the crank sprocket is lined up using a shallow square indentation below the appropriate tooth. It's hard to see if there is one in the photo. I think there are several markings on the sprocket for different things (or what additional ones a 2.2 has). But that white mark in your pic looks to be for nothing else but the timing belt, so I'd say you're good.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
looks right to me. liability statement to follow:

it's hard to see the mark on the drivers side one in question, but looks fine as far as the picture shows.

it doesn't have to be exact - actually the marks on the engine look dead on - don't they? the mark on the timing cover is slightly to the left of the mark on the belt and so is the mark on the sprocket...so those two are in alignment and those two are the ones that matter most. you can literally ignore the timing belt marks if you line up the crank and cam sprockets properly. the belt marks are only an aid and a check - after the first revolution of the motor they no longer line up again anyway and that usually confuses people...well they line up every 54,544 revolutions or somethign (i made that up).

the mark on the belt doesn't actually matter - but it will still always be right - if you moved it a tooth either way it would be "more" off than it is when installed correctly so to speak. due to the nature of the teeth you can't be a "little" off, it's either correct or it's not.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
it looks right on to me.

depending on the year of the impreza, bent valves may not even be a concern. 95 - 96 are non-interference. 98 -01 are interference .

but a few teeth off is probably no worry.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L H4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It's a '99, so unfortunately, is an interference motor - but yeah, I really don't think it got that far off. Sure ran terribly, though (when at all).

I have not released the tensioner yet (because I didn't want to go through the headache of recompression and reinstallation if I needed to move the belt a tooth over), but I will pull it when I get off work today and spin through a couple revolutions of the motor and see how it feels.

I knew about the timing marks virtually never lining up again (at least, not in xxx,xxx number of revolutions) - I think I have read posts on here of people freaking out about that before and, yeah, I get why that's a non-issue. :)

Seriously, thank you for your responses. This is such a great forum. I'll be sure to follow-up and let everyone know if it runs a little better when put back together.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
from wht I read in the past, it's over 40 revs to line them up again.

don't recall which engine that was though.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Four revolutions of the crank equals one revolution of the cam. Pull the pin on the tensioner, spin the crank by hand four times and check the marks. They should be dead on.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L H4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. I pulled the pin last night, let it settle, and spun it around manually and everything looked like it was still in alignment, and I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary (other than the normal cylinder compression and all that jazz). I started reassembling everything (cover, radiator, etc etc) and we're planning on firing up tonight. Will post how it goes! Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L H4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well - it runs, and runs better, but still not quite spot on. It stalls out and won't maintain idle, but it definitely sounds a lot better (than it did with a busted idler). Off to the next diagnostic task... but at least I'm comfortable it isn't a timing belt related issue any more. That was certainly "a" problem, but apparently not "the" problem - so back to the drawing-board.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
i don't think this is right. it is 2 crank to 1 cam rotation.
That's certainly possible. It's been a while since I did the timing belt on mine. :)

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L H4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update - I've got great news! The car runs absolutely fine. Turns out I didn't have the lower driver's side clip of the air box over the throttle body quite on, so that caused the stall issue. Fixed this morning, car is running like a champ.

Thanks for those that were willing to double-check my work in the thickest part of this project! Here's to another 100k!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Turns out I didn't have the lower driver's side clip of the air box over the throttle body quite on, so that caused the stall issue. Fixed this morning, car is running like a champ.
Hi,
I wrote a post about my 2005 Outback 2.5 couple days ago. I had a timing belt changed by my mechanic and after that I am experiencing similar problem (I think) to the one OP had. Rough idle and stalling. Anybody thinks it might be same thing. If so where would I look for it?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi,
I wrote a post about my 2005 Outback 2.5 couple days ago. I had a timing belt changed by my mechanic and after that I am experiencing similar problem (I think) to the one OP had. Rough idle and stalling. Anybody thinks it might be same thing. If so where would I look for it?
Thanks for any help
Just throwing this out there, as an ex-mechanic -- if it runs worse after the work was done, take it back! Coming back to us six months later saying "it's just not right..." doesn't leave me much to work with. Within a week? Yes, please. Give me the opportunity to fix it and make it right.

As a customer, do you want to pay for the whole job again in 20,000 miles when you've had enough of poor drivability due to possibly being a tooth off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
looks right to me. liability statement to follow:

it's hard to see the mark on the drivers side one in question, but looks fine as far as the picture shows.

it doesn't have to be exact - actually the marks on the engine look dead on - don't they? the mark on the timing cover is slightly to the left of the mark on the belt and so is the mark on the sprocket...so those two are in alignment and those two are the ones that matter most. you can literally ignore the timing belt marks if you line up the crank and cam sprockets properly. the belt marks are only an aid and a check - after the first revolution of the motor they no longer line up again anyway and that usually confuses people...well they line up every 54,544 revolutions or somethign (i made that up).

the mark on the belt doesn't actually matter - but it will still always be right - if you moved it a tooth either way it would be "more" off than it is when installed correctly so to speak. due to the nature of the teeth you can't be a "little" off, it's either correct or it's not.
Theres a YouTube video where a guy says to turn the crankshaft and give the belt a few full rotations to check your timing.... he made a sucker out of me, I've been cranking this thing for a while.. 🤣

1 - 15 of 15 Posts