Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore into the timing belt while taking off one of the heads.

I found the lowest idler pulley, the one with teeth, had thrown grease all over the bearing face.

The entire timing mechanism was replaced about 10k ago and, as you can see from the photos, it all looks new.

I went ahead and got an OEM from Subaru today but wanted to know thoughts about this bearing/idler gear. IS the idler pulley bad?

Thanks for advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
535 Posts
Toothed idler

Yes,

It looks like that toothed idler is bad. Did you hear any high frequency noise (or any noise) associated with the bearing? I would definitely change the pulley.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No noise....I though I caught it early. It still spins quietly. No other grease behind the pulleys.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
535 Posts
No noise....I though I caught it early. It still spins quietly. No other grease behind the pulleys.
I guess you caught it early. Who is the manufacturer of the toothed idler? Was it the same Japanese manufacturer as OEM (Gates used to source it from the same supplier few years back), or, a Chinese manufacturer?

When you replace it please make sure to compress the tensioner SLOWLY so that you will not damage the hydraulics.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was from a Gates Kit and it says NGK Made in Japan. Looks like a good quality bearing. NGK is a good company.

The one I got from Subaru is also NGK but it looks a little different.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
I guess you caught it early. Who is the manufacturer of the toothed idler? Was it the same Japanese manufacturer as OEM (Gates used to source it from the same supplier few years back), or, a Chinese manufacturer?

When you replace it please make sure to compress the tensioner SLOWLY so that you will not damage the hydraulics.
Also vertically. A C clamp in a vise works great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that as well as a 12ton press.

What is the requirement to do it vertically? Why would horizontally not be sufficient?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
You need to let the air escape through the top. Otherwise you can mix air in the oil and you risk forcing oil out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts