Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru LMT Sedan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just did a timing belt, all three rollers, tensioner, and water pump.
I followed a guide from one of the Subaru forums and it was pretty straight forward until.. The belt itself wouldn't go on for the life of me, had to take one of the bottom rollers out to install, then put a roller on. problem is when I pulled the pin out from new tensioner it didn't retract or anything. I was able to insert the pin back in with no problems..

What am I doing wrong here? It seems the timing belt already had good tension when I had it on, but tensioner should still pop out some when you pull the pin correct? Engine idles fine but stumbles when trying to give it gas. The three marks were lined up before I pulled the pin, but like I said that didn't seem to do anything..
thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
that sounds normal.

often there's enough pressure that the hydraulic mechanism doesn't really move until the engine is turned over and all the pulleys set, leaving the proper slack between each pulley...if you can imagine the belt having a variable tension between each pulley...once that all equalizes the tensioner then does it's thing. you can artificially get it to happen by moving stuff with your hands - pushing down on the belt right around the tensioner for instance will bring the drivers side cam counter clockwise just a bit and give slack for the tensioner to take up.

basically on EJ engines - never install the lower smooth idler until the belt is in place. even then some of them are very tight and i am now in the habit of installing the really tight ones by wrapping it around the lower sprocket (toothed pulley) and bolting it in place with the belt around it.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru LMT Sedan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's exactly what i had to do. i had the belt all installed and left the toothed tensioner the last. Pressed it against the belt and put the bolt in.

So what do you think is the cause for rough running engine? I haven't done anything else but the timing belt job. I was a little sceptical on timing marks as my cams had white and red spots, so i just placed the line on the belt in the middle of the two..

When i turned the engine 2 or three rotation these marks could not line back up, is that normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
it's off one tooth or you used the wrong marks.

the crank sprocket often confuses people because it does have like 2 marks on it...a triangle and a dot so to speak. make absolutely certain you're using the correct mark and that it's dead on at the crank and both cams.

When i turned the engine 2 or three rotation these marks could not line back up, is that normal?
that doesn't matter, they only line up every 2,543 rotations (i made that up), the marks are only for installation, after that they don't line up again once it's rotated just because of basic geometry of the sprockets, teeth, etc.

as long as the cam marks are both lined up when the crank mark is lined up the belt marks don't matter.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you mentioned white and red spots and putting the mark bewteen the two on the cams...in your PM to me. you want to use the stamped mark in the cam not red or white marks.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited, 2.5L, 1991 3000GT, 1998 BMW 323IS
4 Posts
Thank you, that's exactly what i had to do. i had the belt all installed and left the toothed tensioner the last. Pressed it against the belt and put the bolt in.

So what do you think is the cause for rough running engine? I haven't done anything else but the timing belt job. I was a little sceptical on timing marks as my cams had white and red spots, so i just placed the line on the belt in the middle of the two..

Thanks!
Slobo

I had to use the spoke on the cam pulleys that had an arrow on it, the other lines on the cam pulleys were about 70 deg. off. The arrows on the spoke of the pulley lined up with marks on the engine on the right pulley and on the left pulley it was the rear timing belt cover. I hope you can see through that little peep hole at the right pulley.

good luck.:)

·
Registered
2001 Subaru LMT Sedan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thank you guys!! I got the line on the sprockets lined up to the engine marks, the left side was a little bit of the guessing game as it had no concrete line to set to.
When i installed the belt, the crank sprocket was perfectly aligned with the line on the belt. The driver side and passenger side line on the timing belt was a bit to the right of the cam marking, but i figure this is ok. The car runs perfect! thank you thank you!!

It's amazing how a simple thing can throw you off, and have the car run like crap.

Those white and red marks are crap, the triangle mark on the crankshaft idlering is for timing adjustment, the Square one is for timing belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts