Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a waterpump replacement and when I go to remove the timing belt I notice that the notches don't all line up. When the 2 cam pulleys are on the mark the crank is off by a few degrees. The car ran fine but recently started overheating at highway speeds. Several coolant flushes later it looks like the waterpump was weak. Any way... should I correct the crank or leave it how it was?? 20200116_160018.jpg 20200116_160025.jpg 20200116_160029.jpg 20200116_160037.jpg

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '12 OB 3.6 (Deceased MVA), '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
143 Posts
What vehicle? What year, what engine?

This looks like a Gen4 2010-2014 2.5.

That Crank also needs to be lined up too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are exactly right. 2012 outback 2.5L. That crank is how I found it with the belt on. Wouldn't I really notice it being off like that or might it still run decent?

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '12 OB 3.6 (Deceased MVA), '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
143 Posts
It depends. Just line that crank back up and you should be fine. I found this YT video VERY helpful Gen4 EJ253 SOHC TImingBelt Job . Also, read through ALL of the comments on the YT video, you will learn so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends. Just line that crank back up and you should be fine. I found this YT video VERY helpful Gen4 EJ253 SOHC TImingBelt Job . Also, read through ALL of the comments on the YT video, you will learn so much.
...and that is the best video I've found. I've been referring to it throughout the process. Only thing missing is the part about putting the little key in the tensioner... unless I missed it. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,614 Posts
I hope you got an Aisin pump and good belt kit and not a no name from Gates or similar. I have an 04 STI in the shop now and someone went cheap on the timing kit and water pump. Even had a paper gasket on it. The water pump bearing failed, belt slipped off the lower pulleys and cut through the timing covers, center and left. The timing cover is the only thing that kept the belt on the pulleys. The timing also jumped due to a failed tensioner. Fortunately the engine was running, although rough, when it came in and will run better when I'm done.

You get what you pay for is a reality.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
I hope you got an Aisin pump and good belt kit and not a no name from Gates or similar. I have an 04 STI in the shop now and someone went cheap on the timing kit and water pump. Even had a paper gasket on it. The water pump bearing failed, belt slipped off the lower pulleys and cut through the timing covers, center and left. The timing cover is the only thing that kept the belt on the pulleys. The timing also jumped due to a failed tensioner. Fortunately the engine was running, although rough, when it came in and will run better when I'm done.

You get what you pay for is a reality.
Yikes!

I recently put a timing belt kit on a friend of mines WRX. Aisin of course. I was surprised to see that the kit included a duplicate double bearing idler instead of the single bearing idler they typically come with at the lower left point of the crank. He only had ~60k miles on the car but I convinced him to do the timing belt anyways and we're glad we did. The cogged idler was smoked and making lots of nasty noise.

You definitely get what you pay for! Sometimes being cheap costs you more in the end.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,405 Posts
3 teeth at the cam, IIRC, is the limit before engine damage. Luckily you found it before getting worse. Line-up the crank and continue with the belt install.

I'd also prepare for the possibility of head gasket failure. Discounting other factors (clogged radiator, leaking cap, etc), a bad head gasket is high on the list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts