Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install a front wheel bearing on a 2003 Outback. The bearing came already packed with grease, but the grease is clear; is this cosmoline, or wheel bearing grease? The one person at Timken who can tell me, is out today, and I need to turn this job around by Sunday.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
that is what Timken says is Grease,
All mine, I spray that crap out with brake cleaner, followed by compressed air and some rags, then I repack em with high temp high pressure high dollar grease.

-I don't iike the small amount timken packs them with and don't trust the grease is enough.

never mix greases.

The amount they put on is a small teaspoon, I pack em good...and have never had a future bearing issue.

did the same on my SVX

(Timken is in buisiness to make money they want to sell sell sell, so what makes me think they actually care if it is the proper quality/quantity of grease.
My dad has been working on cars professionally for 55+ years and his opinion was that is not enough grease.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,223 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - I guess I've got another decision to make.

When you install these, do you press the entire bearing into the spindle, then press the hub to spindle, or remove the two inner races, then press the outer race to the spindle? Or does it matter?

eagleeye - I've got the head stripped down, springs are out, waiting for valve stem seals and cam seals to arrive at O'Reilly. Cleaned it as best I can, just about to take it to the car wash and blast it with the wand. What a mess - wish the budget had allowed for a cleaning at a machine shop. No tent needed - 81 deg here right now.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are a couple DIY type threads for 2000-2004

don't know how good they are,... rust and corrosion kind of gets in the way of this kind of work,...adding a whole lot of swearing to a driveway job.
Well, I've already got the spindle out, and the old race pressed out, got a new hub along with the bearing. So, a lot of the frustration is already come and gone.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I did a bunch of these lately. I press in the new bearing into the knuckle using the outer race only. Then install the taper bearings and then press the hub into the bearings. I have seen some press the outer bearing onto the hub first (after measuring the location on the old one) press the bare outer race into the knuckle then press the hub/bearing into the inner bearing.

I used the Harbor Freight FWD bearing tool kit and an impact, makes quick work of it. I also have access to a 20Ton press for difficult ones.

I cleaned the bearings with brake cleaner and repacked with Lucas #2 Red and Tacky, especially the Right Rear on my Forester (the one that seems to fail most often).

On a side note Koyo bearings from Subaru have a similar weight grease packed in them

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
I bought a non genuine bearing, was greased inside so I installed it like that. 80000km later bearing was making noises again. Found that the bearing inner had welded itself to the hub. Had to replace both again. This time with a genuine bearing and greased it good. Seems ok now.

(mod note= 50,000 miles)

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a non genuine bearing, was greased inside so I installed it like that. 80000km later bearing was making noises again. Found that the bearing inner had welded itself to the hub. Had to replace both again. This time with a genuine bearing and greased it good. Seems ok now.
So, could have been the grease, could have been the bearing - what brand was the non genuine bearing?

I cleaned the bearings with brake cleaner and repacked with Lucas #2 Red and Tacky, especially the Right Rear on my Forester (the one that seems to fail most often).

On a side note Koyo bearings from Subaru have a similar weight grease packed in them
The Timken bearing that I bought is actually a Koyo bearing in a Timken box.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not sure, I'm pretty sure that the grease in it was packing grease only and there didn't seem to be much of it thinking back, parts guy at the dealer is a good bloke, genuine guy and is always happy to chase up info from the service department for me, and when talking about my bearing experience he recommended that their service department when replacing bearing they always clean them out and repack with hi temp bearing grease.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,558 Posts
You did it the right way.

Bearings can be used in many applications, and the manufacturer cannot anticipate all situatins. Automotive use in wheel bearings is but one use, and there they are exposed to weather, road spray, perhaps an occasional dunking, shock, temperature extremes (both ambient and from heat generated by nearby brakes), etc. Automotive wheel bearing grease is optimized for this usage.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
Ain't cosmoline. It's brown / dark orange.
I was talking to a mechanic recently and he called the oil coating on new parts cosmoline.
maybe not like the exact military grade cosmoline jelly juice, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

but more like the state of being definition of what it does = inhibit / prohibit rust on new parts.
(and get all over anything it touches, and hard to wipe clean off bare hands).

we were discussing it over a new subaru subframe, it had lots of something like SAE 20 oil coating it from the factory.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'll never run a dry bearing on the front ever again. Funny thing with the rears, it's a sealed bearing and confirmed with the parts guy that they are indeed pregreased.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,268 Posts
I was talking to a mechanic recently and he called the oil coating on new parts cosmoline.
maybe not like the exact military grade cosmoline jelly juice, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

but more like the state of being definition of what it does = inhibit / prohibit rust on new parts.
(and get all over anything it touches, and hard to wipe clean off bare hands).

we were discussing it over a new subaru subframe, it had lots of something like SAE 20 oil coating it from the factory.
I'm only familiar with it from trying to clean Mosin Nagants after they've come out of a crate.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This style is pregreased and may be difficult to try and grease:

This style can be easily disassembled, cleaned and repacked with a good wheel bearing grease:

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,960 Posts
I replaced my fronts with bearings from the dealer.
The grease was the whitish type. Dealer confirmed they were pre-greased.

Lasted the rest of the 200k life the car had in it just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts