Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Option 24, popular package 2
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone applied any kind of tint or coating to the front windshield of their Outback with Eyesight? I wanted to get a non-shaded ceramic film applied to all windows (all windows but the windshield will have a darker shade), really like the 99% UV reductive and 45% heat reduction(live in SoCal).

Would like to know if you've ran into any issues with how EyeSight works. The non-shaded ceramic film is supposed to be 100% clear with no distortion of visibility.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
136 Posts
I had the two front side windows tinted. I was told they were not allowed to tint the front window because of the eyesight. This was about a year ago, so info may have changed, but at that time it was not allowed to tint.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Option 24, popular package 2
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the two front side windows tinted. I was told they were not allowed to tint the front window because of the eyesight. This was about a year ago, so info may have changed, but at that time it was not allowed to tint.
Thanks for the reply. The windshield was not going to have any shade/darkness/tint, but just a coating to block UV rays and reduce heat transfer, I'm hoping it wont have an issue, I'm gonna see if the installer will provide some guarantee that if it does mess with things he will remove it film and refund the costs.(He said he was sure that it wont cause an issue.)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
The windshield was not going to have any shade/darkness/tint, but just a coating to block UV rays and reduce heat transfer ...
The stock windshield already blocks 100% UVA and UVB, and blocks 55% of "solar heat" (presumably IR). See: Subaru Window Light Transmittance, previously posted on this forum.

Reactions: Joliva1619

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about the front driver and passenger windows? Want to do 50% tints but have to do 70% for inspection legal in nyc. 70% might as well be nothing.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
What about the front driver and passenger windows? Want to do 50% tints but have to do 70% for inspection legal in nyc. 70% might as well be nothing.
70% is actually not visible pretty much. I had my windshield tinted with Air Blue 80 when we lived in Nevada and nobody can tell that it's tinted. Air Blue 80 might be your best bet if you want something though - it's around 80% light transmittance, 45% heat rejection, and of course 99%+ UV rejection. It's not exactly real tint, but it's better than nothing!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Pearl White
24 Posts
The stock windshield already blocks 100% UVA and UVB, and blocks 55% of "solar heat" (presumably IR). See: Subaru Window Light Transmittance, previously posted on this forum.
Thanks for the info, that's really good to know. However, it still feels pretty hot and I do notice a difference between my 2018 Outback and my other car where I have tinted 55% on all windows and 70% on the windshield. The other car feels noticeably cooler to get into on a hot day, and I don't feel the UV burn on my forearm when I'm driving while it's sunny.

I guess I just have to decide if it's worth $400 to make the car's interior cooler.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5
3 Posts
I had the tint installed to all of my windows. I do not have eyesight in 2015 though my wife's Forester does. She has no problems but has a lightest film installed on the front windshield as do i. I will agree that the car is much cooler in the summer heat. Many of my friends what to do the same but cost is a drawback.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had the tint installed to all of my windows. I do not have eyesight in 2015 though my wife's Forester does. She has no problems but has a lightest film installed on the front windshield as do i. I will agree that the car is much cooler in the summer heat. Many of my friends what to do the same but cost is a drawback.
Cheers.
Do you recall what brand of tint you have on the windshield(s)? If it's Air Blue 80, or one of the 3M Crystalline tints with high visual light transmission, and also high heat blocking, then those are almost invisible tints and would not (as you point out) impede the functioning of the Eyesight camera system. But darker tints, that block more visible light, would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What's the stock tint on the rear windows? Wondering if it makes sense to get the rear ones tinted too with 3m 70% crystalline if it already has one? Heat rejection?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So glad I found this thread. Just had my front side windows and sunroof with 3M crystalline -- for purposes of darkening them to the max I could legally (35%) and to keep out heat (the car is black, so in summer it will be an oven). As I left, the guys suggested that I come back later and have the front windshield done in the highest transmission crystalline. I reminded them of the Eyesight and they claimed that it would not affect it, as they had another Subaru done recently.

So has anyone had their Eyesight-enabled windshields "tinted" without impact?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this thread. Just had my front side windows and sunroof with 3M crystalline -- for purposes of darkening them to the max I could legally (35%) and to keep out heat (the car is black, so in summer it will be an oven). As I left, the guys suggested that I come back later and have the front windshield done in the highest transmission crystalline. I reminded them of the Eyesight and they claimed that it would not affect it, as they had another Subaru done recently.

So has anyone had their Eyesight-enabled windshields "tinted" without impact?
I have a 2016 Forester that I purposely did not order with eyesight because I wanted to do the tint bar accross the top of my windshield. But last week i ordered the new 2019 Ascent and now eyesight comes standard (insert rolling eyes here) so now I'm curious to know if anyone has tinted the windshield that has eyesight... maybe I'll be the first to experiment with it. I've herd don't do it but I also herd if you do, you just turn it off every time you get it in. But I don't see how it's any different from it being dark out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts