Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the driver and front passenger windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows.?....if so what shade of tint was used ?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Has anyone had the driver and front passenger windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows.?....if so what shade of tint was used ?
I had mine tinted but was told it was illegal here in WA to match so the front are slightly lighter. I'm not sure the percentage though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes. My tint guy did 20% in the front I think. It is just a touch darker on the front than the rear on the inside, but from the outside it looks the same. There is also a small color difference as one is a film and one is a treatment to the glass. Worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I tinted the front windows (I think it was 50 or 75% film) a bit but not to match/as dark as rear windows. It would be illegal (here in FL). I suggest you check your local State law, what (and how dark) is legal! Don't forget, the higher % the lighter the film is. 75% film means that 75% of light goes through!
I should have pointed out that I added it to the OEM existing tinted front windows that were a bit lighter than the OEM rear tinted windows.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i did 30% for the front two windows in my '12 outback.

i had 20% on the windows of my '05 forester and i was a bit nervous living in southern california.

30% is pretty light and is illegal here.

i will try to get pics for you today.

30% is a bit lighter than the factory tint, i think.

joel

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hate how all these tint question threads turn in to legal warnings. The question is a simple one. I'm also curious what tint brand/type most closely matches the factory tint.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I had the windows tinted on my 300, I went with (quite illegal) 10% tint all around. Never got any fuss in Montana, WA, ID, WY, CO, TX, etc. I had to sign a waiver at the tint shop, but it was worth it.

Go to a shop, they'll be able to give you an estimate and accurately tell you what the rear tint is rated at.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I hate how all these tint question threads turn in to legal warnings. The question is a simple one. I'm also curious what tint brand/type most closely matches the factory tint.
Why shouldn't they though? People get tickets all the time and for some its not worth it. Members are just informing each other, tough if you don't like the conversation.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
foxrider68:
I have been through this in several different States that I lived in and, again, each State has different laws when it comes to tinting. Some States allow tinting and the tint shop has to put the sticker on the door frame. Tinting shops are licensed to do their job and they know, what is allowed and what is not! If you want stuff darker, they will tell you and it is up to you to decide. In many States it's a "fix" ticket - like broken rear tail light - and you don't get a citation. In some States, you do get a citation - you just cannot generalize this issue - it's a State law - not a Federal law!
So the question is not what factory tinting is - they sell cars with tinted windows that are in compliance with laws in all States! However, each State have their own laws as to the percentage how much tinting is legal on front windows and rear and back windows.
Tinted windows cut down on heat inside the vehicles (in the Sun Belt States) and therefore, cut down on usage of air conditioning and therefore save gas and money. That is also why many cars come with tinted windows from the factory. Those that don't can have the tinted film legally applied! Not sure how you can claim that it is illegal....

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
jonlong724
I suggest you check locally with any reputable tint shop, what is legal. Alternatively, stop at any police or sheriff station and check with them. The best is to Google it for your State and you will have it black and white from your State's DMV. If there is room for darker windows, do what I have done. I have added 75% tint on front windows and I was still within limits for my State (FL). The front and rear windows "appear" to be the same although the front ones are a bit lighter - within the law!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
One more thing - that I know for sure! If your State allows certain percentage of tinting and you have that State's license plates, you CANNOT get a citation for this tinting in another State; I forgot the Court Docket number (it was in the California Court some time ago) but it is considered burder on interstate traffic. The case in California was that Arizona allows darker windows and someone (with Arizona plates) got citation for it by Calif. Highway Patrol. The Court overturned it because of the earlier ruling, as mentioned earlier! RIP

·
Registered
982 Posts
foxrider68:
I have been through this in several different States that I lived in and, again, each State has different laws when it comes to tinting. Some States allow tinting and the tint shop has to put the sticker on the door frame. Tinting shops are licensed to do their job and they know, what is allowed and what is not! If you want stuff darker, they will tell you and it is up to you to decide. In many States it's a "fix" ticket - like broken rear tail light - and you don't get a citation. In some States, you do get a citation - you just cannot generalize this issue - it's a State law - not a Federal law!
So the question is not what factory tinting is - they sell cars with tinted windows that are in compliance with laws in all States! However, each State have their own laws as to the percentage how much tinting is legal on front windows and rear and back windows.
Tinted windows cut down on heat inside the vehicles (in the Sun Belt States) and therefore, cut down on usage of air conditioning and therefore save gas and money. That is also why many cars come with tinted windows from the factory. Those that don't can have the tinted film legally applied! Not sure how you can claim that it is illegal....
Good info but I don't get why you felt the need to point it out to me. I just let my shop do what was legal and that was the end of it. Earlier I was only joking around with the breaking the law comment.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
this is why foxrider68: -- I did not know that you were "joking"... sorry about that....

Breaking the law, breaking the law....:twisted:

·
Registered
415 Posts
So what % are the back windows? 30 or 25%? I am would like mine to match as much as possible so would love feedback from someone who has successfully gotten theirs to do so. Posting a picture would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've posted this same info in a few tint threads. If you guys would search the forums you would find the answers to the questions you're asking...

The back windows are ~19%. When we had our fronts tinted to match the guy measured and gave us the choice of 18% or 20%. We went with 20% and they look identical.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
N8thesk8
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing