Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have thier vehicle tinted? I just had mine done Monday (35% all around with a sun strip in front) and it is still really hazy and splotchy from the chemicals still drying underneath the tint. The shop says this is normal, and I know that eventually it will be all cleared.

I am parking it in the sun as much as possible, but considering the cold weather and all, I am wondering if anything else can be done to speed along drying process?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
You have to wait it out. It can take up to a month I believe to get all the 'wrinkles' out and such. It should be fine. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
A 'haze' is normal for light tints, especially in certain sunlight. My tint job is fabulous, but in certain light conditions the windows look foggy. Maybe the tint is somewhat polarized? Some angles give it that look. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. It has been gradually getting better. Need some more sun!

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy L
8 Posts
Yeh, all you can do is wait it out, mine took 3-4 weeks to completly dry up, when I did mine in January which was cold here. I have 13% All around Including a SunStrip.
Eric-

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow...13% is pretty dark, isn't it?

Anyway, when I bought my OBS used it had already been tinted so I'm not sure what % it was, but I would like to have more light behind me when backing up at night. Are there brighter reverse lights that I can buy? No, I don't want to add additional lights; I just want to replace the stock bulb with something else. However, I also don't want to burn down my car, so I want to make sure I put something that the wiring can handle, etc. Anyone have any info?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
73 Posts
Warrantied

Is the tint you have warrantied or not? I would take it back to the installer if the bubbled do not work themselves out in 2 months.

Also, there is special widow clean you must use on tinted windows. Do not use regular windex or automotive glass cleaner that contains amonnia, you will hurt the tint.

Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner and Eagle one 20/20 work great for tinted windows.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
window tint

I got mine tinted for all windows but windsheild 35% as per Oregon state law. Note: since mine is an outback it's still classified as a car. Foresters however can go darker on the rear windows since they are classified as an suv.

·
Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
56 Posts
The drying of window tinting depends on the amount of heat one can expose the film to, what the film is constructed of and obvious climatic conditions!

You can help it along by using the rear demister for the BG, parking the car into the sun as much as possible and by having the heater on whilst driving.

It's only on some uncommon films that are sputter-coated (I'll get into that later on another topic) that really have a difficulty of evaporating the water out between the glass and film.
With these you may expect a slight cloudiness and what we call blushing of the adhesive in the short term but it should go.

Also depends on how much water was left behind during the process of squeegeeing out.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
154 Posts
Have things changed?

On my last Subaru, the guides that kept the frame-less window in alignment (as they roll down) played havoc with the window tint on the front side windows. Is this still the case? :confused:

·
Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
56 Posts
Re: Have things changed?

colorider said:
On my last Subaru, the guides that kept the frame-less window in alignment (as they roll down) played havoc with the window tint on the front side windows. Is this still the case? :confused:
Those guides are a Subaru trait and pose no problems at all to window film providing the initial setup is properly adhered to the bottom of the glass.
I can tell by your problem you experienced that it was a poor "professional " installation effort. (Believe me after 29 years of doing this silly biz ;) ) and having tinted heaps of all Subies.

The installer you had did not remove the door trims (to save his time and tried to get away with it) and by his "tucking and sliding" the films' horizontal edge, he has not secured the bottom to the glass properly. Now he doesn't know this at the time because he can't see that very important edge as it is concealed under the felt.

More than likely, he has "dog-eared" it and later on when you have gone to operate the window, the pad which fits pretty tight, has snagged it and presto.......you've got a lifter.

The only way to fix it is to pull the door trim, remove all the old film and adhesive and this time afix the bottom edge correctly.

Take it back and have it done under warranty.

Hope this explains it for you in much better detail but don't blame the poor innocent Suby pad as it is the goose who fitted it. Score out of 10..... a 2 for him having some idea.

Later,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
154 Posts
Re: Re: Have things changed?

tinter said:

Those guides are a Subaru trait and pose no problems at all to window film providing the initial setup is properly adhered to the bottom of the glass.
I can tell by your problem you experienced that it was a poor "professional " installation effort. (Believe me after 29 years of doing this silly biz ;) ) and having tinted heaps of all Subies.

The installer you had did not remove the door trims (to save his time and tried to get away with it) and by his "tucking and sliding" the films' horizontal edge, he has not secured the bottom to the glass properly. Now he doesn't know this at the time because he can't see that very important edge as it is concealed under the felt.

More than likely, he has "dog-eared" it and later on when you have gone to operate the window, the pad which fits pretty tight, has snagged it and presto.......you've got a lifter.

The only way to fix it is to pull the door trim, remove all the old film and adhesive and this time afix the bottom edge correctly.

Take it back and have it done under warranty.

Hope this explains it for you in much better detail but don't blame the poor innocent Suby pad as it is the goose who fitted it. Score out of 10..... a 2 for him having some idea.

Later,
Rob.
This was not the situation I encountered - and it has happened on multiple "frame-less" window vehicles that I have owned. The problem is the rollers that help guide/align the window are in constant contact with the film and eventually you will see the rub area on the window film when in the up position. If you drive a lot in dusty conditions, the situation is made worse.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
56 Posts
Ahhh I see now what you mean...this is entirely different.

In adverse conditions, these Subaru pads can get engrained with grit, dust and dirt that lodges against the felt pad and scratches the glass as the window goes up or down.
Subaru use to replace a lot of these windows (even without film on them) under warranty. Well at least they did here downunder due to complaints.
It is most unusual that the 2 corresponding internal pads are contaminated.
Rob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts