Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
_rgk here again. The RTV did not work, so I took the advice of leftfield and used JB Weld. I didn't have my dremel on hand, so I used a file, a wire brush, and some sandpaper to clean the crack. Before doing so, I made sure to scrape off any and all RTV sealant using a razor blade. I did not make a v-notch.

It was a bit cold here (40 high, 25 low), so I had no issue with the stuff being runny, but I made sure to let it cure for 48 hours before firing up the engine. 200 miles later I have no leak.

Like leftfield, I also finger-tightened the pressure sensor and used a wrench for the last 1/4 turn. However, I did not use any thread sealant, and am not getting any seepage. As it turns out, the sensor does not have to be screwed in very tight.

Thanks very much to leftfield for his detailed instructions! The oil smell was really bugging me for a while.
2007 Subaru Forester: I cracked my right head by tightening down the oil pressure switch. Before reading this thread, I put a good dab of Ultra Black high-temp RTV sealant on the exterior of the head where the crack is visible, as well as the threads of the pressure switch, then threaded it back in.

The Ultra Black is curing, and I'm taking another car out of town, so I'll see after the weekend whether this will be enough to prevent the oil from leaking. My guess is that it won't, at which point I'll clean off the RTV, dremel the crack, and try the JB Weld per the original poster's instructions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,590 Posts
I'm glad this is holding up long term for you - this thread has altered my opinion on the use of such methods.

Sometimes you just have to be a hack.
This should be our official motto on this forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have managed to successfully repair these cracked oil sender leaks. Have a look at the pictures and you can contact me for more details on how to perform this repair
-------
Experiencing the same issue as OP here.
Is this a service you provide or kit you make available??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil pressure sender leak repair insert

We have managed to successfully repair these cracked oil sender leaks. Have a look at the pictures and you can contact me for more details on how to perform this repair
Hi, I would like to have more details about to how to repair a crack that I did replacing the oil pressure sensor in a 2007 Outback as your pics shows. thks.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,844 Posts
No replies for a long time...
Looking at the pics, my guess is they have found or made a tapered thread fitting that goes down to a smaller size and it is quite long so it can reach the undamaged part of the threaded hole, then that fitting merely has the same size threads at the top as the original hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil pressure sender leak repair insert

Just broke my sending unit as well what do you have for a repair kit so I dont have to replace head? I can send pics but I have a pic of same thing the side of it completely busted off...

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,070 Posts
Looks like a threaded 1:1 adapter to me. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store. It's NPT threads, so, you'll need that information. Looks like they just threaded the fitting down into the head, then the sensor into the fitting.

Something similar to this:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Looks like a threaded 1:1 adapter to me. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store. It's NPT threads, so, you'll need that information. Looks like they just threaded the fitting down into the head, then the sensor into the fitting.

Something similar to this:
View attachment 473911
The key would be its ability to thread in past the cracked part.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Just broke my sending unit as well what do you have for a repair kit so I dont have to replace head? I can send pics but I have a pic of same thing the side of it completely busted off...
You will need to get it out somehow.

Did it break trying to remove it, or was sideways force applied and it snapped off?

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
342 Posts
You might try a left hand drill bit as it will turn the broken piece in the off direction. Be careful about getting metal chips down the hole, fill it with Vaseline.

When yo install the new one, after putting 3 or 4 wraps of Teflon pipe tape on the threads, just thread it in until snug. Don't over tighten it. Don't bury the threads, you'll see threads left after its snug.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Manual
2 Posts
Hi, I would like to have more details about to how to repair a crack that I did replacing the oil pressure sensor in a 2007 Outback as your pics shows. thks.
I did the same thing in May and used the JB Weld method detailed by _rgk and leftfield. It worked well and seems to be holding up too, I have put ~5000km on the car since then and had no leaks. I plan to replace the entire head when i do the head gasket at some point (I have the classic external gasket weep).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts