Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback wagon 3.0 VDC
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to buy a used one or have some sort of idea how to hold back the torque converter while pulling a 3.0 engine out of a 03 Outback.

edit: with subaru tool ST498277200 ?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,235 Posts
Tips need removing 03 L.L. Bean transmission

I'll be soon purchasing a used or JDM automatic trans for my 03 Bean. I'm sure this topic has been covered only 50 times here on the forum, but I want it fresh. What tips could you give for removing the transmission from the bottom? I've removed the engine before and installed one, but never the transmission alone.

I'm concerned with seating the torque converter correctly only to have it wiggle out of place while I'm installing the new trans. I don't want to buy a transmission jack, and I was thinking about modifying my 3 ton Pittsburgh jack. What do you all think? Any tidbits will be appreciated.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
It's fewer bits and pieces and fluids and bolts than an engine - so to that end they're much easier.
But it's much harder working under the car in the average home garage, so you loose that advantage.

If you have a lift - snake chain down through the engine bay to help carry the weight.
Yes i've done it by simply balancing it on a floor jack before - but it's cumbersome and wants to roll off...not safe if you're under the car with it.

Get it high off the ground so you can get it up and over the crossmember, off any jack you're using the assist, and slide it out from under the vehicle and have room to work.

PM sent.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,235 Posts
It's fewer bits and pieces and fluids and bolts than an engine - so to that end they're much easier.
But it's much harder working under the car in the average home garage, so you loose that advantage.

If you have a lift - snake chain down through the engine bay to help carry the weight.
Yes i've done it by simply balancing it on a floor jack before - but it's cumbersome and wants to roll off...not safe if you're under the car with it.

Get it high off the ground so you can get it up and over the crossmember, off any jack you're using the assist, and slide it out from under the vehicle and have room to work.

PM sent.
I'm assuming I have a bunch of exhaust that has to come off too. All sounds reassuring though, thanks.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
yes exhaust is quite annoying, it'll surely be all rusty - have angle grinder/dremel and goggles ready.
Lots of debris, dirt, and rust fall in your eyes working underneath, have goggles.

Drain the fluid first so you can easily use the drain plug, otherwise it spills out the driveshaft area when the driveshaft is removed and the trans is angled up.

Remove exhaust, cv axles, driveshaft, linkage, ATF hoses, disconnect harness, tilt engine back a little, and out it comes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yes exhaust is quite annoying, it'll surely be all rusty - have angle grinder/dremel and goggles ready.
Lots of debris, dirt, and rust fall in your eyes working underneath, have goggles.

Drain the fluid first so you can easily use the drain plug, otherwise it spills out the driveshaft area when the driveshaft is removed and the trans is angled up.

Remove exhaust, cv axles, driveshaft, linkage, ATF hoses, disconnect harness, tilt engine back a little, and out it comes.
I was hoping I'd not have to move the engine at all, so I guess when I tilt it, I'm just going to unbolt it and lift the front of it ever so slightly with the engine lift..?
Good point on removing the fluid, I'll drain whatever i can from the plug.
I have an 03 L.L. Bean, the transmission I found is from an 01 L.L. Bean. I've been in slightly controversial discussions here on the forum about what is interchangeable plug and play.. I'm all in with thinking this transmission will be the same thing 01 vs 03 Bean..

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,451 Posts
The '04 transmissions have a different valve body and duty solenoid for the center diff. You should be fine with an 03 LL Bean. What is the trans code?

You can use blocks of wood between the engine and the body to try to keep the engine level.

If you can figure out a way to get a ratcheting tie down strap to hold it to the jack that will help.

Remove the exhaust all as one piece. No need to disassemble. You might want to disassemble to easy installation.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i've used blocks under the engine and a jack, don't have to use the lift for the engine positioning.

@CNYDave says 2003 or 2004 is reversed wiring for the rear transfer solenoid - search his posts on the topics.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
compatible transmissions plug n play

i've used blocks under the engine and a jack, don't have to use the lift for the engine positioning.

@CNYDave says 2003 or 2004 is reversed wiring for the rear transfer solenoid - search his posts on the topics.
I remember reading about that a while ago. I think with the 04 you get issues, but 01 through 03 good to go. Is this @eagleeye ? you change your user name?

Anyway. This transmission is coming sooner than later. I've already made the deal just waiting for the guy to pull it and call me. My immediate concerns are how much fluid to put in it. I know when you do a drain right from the transmission you let out 4.5 courts, but I have no idea what it takes to fill a whole system... Wondering if I should just drain what's in it when I get it, then add 4.5 quarts and check from there. I don't even remember the proper way to check trans fluid honestly, I mean, with the car running, car off fluid warm, or car off fluid cold...

I'll be busy. I am going to create a jack stand with some 3/4 ply and some bolts. Ratchet strap sounds like a must have. I'll take a photo of both the transmissions when I get them out and post it. I'm sure that'll be helpful to many. I'll add comments if I see anything different between the two.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
seating the coverter and guiding the transmission

The '04 transmissions have a different valve body and duty solenoid for the center diff. You should be fine with an 03 LL Bean. What is the trans code?

You can use blocks of wood between the engine and the body to try to keep the engine level.

If you can figure out a way to get a ratcheting tie down strap to hold it to the jack that will help.

Remove the exhaust all as one piece. No need to disassemble. You might want to disassemble to easy installation.
I'm thinking if I can get the jack perfectly level with the transmission on it during the transmission coming out and when going in, I should not have to move the engine around... My BIGGEST worry of this whole job is the torque converter inching out while I'm trying to raise the transmission up to the engine during installation. I plan to push and twist back and forth left and right the torque converter in an overzealous way to be totally sure I'm seated.. I learned from experience it can be deceiving, you'll think it's seated, but there is still a hair to go..

I think @idosubaru told me a while ago you should have a little space between the flex plate and converter when the converter is seated all the way, and the torque bolts should pull the two together a little bit when you bolt everything back up.

I'm not debating though, if you think I should unbolt the engine and use wood to keep it from tilting back, then I'll do that if that's what works best. Ya know, if I need that play with the engine to get things to line up..

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

PM sent.
Ahh ok, Idosubaru didn't know that was you. Here we are again.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
With a JDM trans they may have changed the transfer solenoid and valve before 2004.
I can not think of an easy way to check without pulling the tail section.

If the trans is on pretty much anything you'll have to get the car quite high up to get it out. I used a pittsburgh transmission jack from horrid freight (800lb low lift) and had the front end up on jackstands with 2 2x10's underneath in the front jackstands, and 1 2x10 under each rear jackstand.

I've done GM turbo 400 automatics with boards bricks and a toyota jack, glad I bought the trans jack!

The engine will want to tilt- I used a metal bar from the radiator support (found a bolt to use) to something on the intake to keep it from tilting too far.

The Y pipe is bloody heavy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
With a JDM trans they may have changed the transfer solenoid and valve before 2004.

If the trans is on pretty much anything you'll have to get the car quite high up to get it out. I used a pittsburgh transmission jack from horrid freight (800lb low lift) and had the front end up on jackstands with 2 2x10's underneath in the front jackstands, and 1 2x10 under each rear jackstand.

I've done GM turbo 400 automatics with boards bricks and a toyota jack, glad I bought the trans jack!

The engine will want to tilt- I used a metal bar from the radiator support (found a bolt to use) to something on the intake to keep it from tilting too far.

I gotta call the dealer. Thanks, I'll probably let ya all know when I'm doing the job in case I get stuck somewhere. Hopefully someone can help. Hopefully I'm not stuck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi,
I never worked on the H6, but 4-cylinders have an access hole underneath the throttle body (TB). As you turn the crank bolt (7/8") on the front of the engine, you'll see slits in the flex plate. I have an old motorcycle (?) axle tool that fits well, but others have used long screwdrivers, etc. to hold it in place.

FWIW, I remove the TB and use a ez-out socket on those 12mm TC flex plate bolts as they are a PITA to access- unless you have good tools.....stripping one would be a nightmare.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
Would like to buy a used one or have some sort of idea how to hold back the torque converter while pulling a 3.0 engine out of a 03 Outback.

I merged your question about the tool to a tips EZ30D 4EAT trans thread that started about the same time,

and I hope you got a VDC trans in both cars, ...we had a long long discussion thread recently about what it would take to surgically get the 2 types compatible in a VDC car.

edit: I updated Lverano's thread title, and some how lost the subaru part number that was included in your thread title. (so please put that back in edit: got it off a cache)

a few times in the past tools like that have been discussed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I called Subaru and had them do a search on my VIN and the VIN of the donor car I'll be getting the replacement transmission from, turns out the donor is an 02. Of course there were two different part numbers generated for their billion dollar remanufactured transmissions they have for sale. So I can say I know there is something different between the LL Bean 02, yes 02 transmission, and the LL Bean 03 transmission, but what? And most importantly, does it matter, and will the 02 be compatible with my 03?? The transmission I found is excellent and a bargain, but if it won't work then I'm hurting... not sure what I can do to confirm this...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I merged your question about the tool to a tips EZ30D 4EAT trans thread that started about the same time,

and I hope you got a VDC trans in both cars, ...we had a long long discussion thread recently about what it would take to surgically get the 2 types compatible in a VDC car.

edit: I updated Lverano's thread title, and some how lost the subaru part number that was included in your thread title. (so please put that back in edit: got it off a cache)

a few times in the past tools like that have been discussed.
So you are a moderator @eagleeye ? , that's what it looks like... good you can correct all my messes. :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts
I called Subaru and had them do a search on my VIN and the VIN of the donor car I'll be getting the replacement transmission from, turns out the donor is an 02. Of course there were two different part numbers generated for their billion dollar remanufactured transmissions they have for sale. So I can say I know there is something different between the LL Bean 02, yes 02 transmission, and the LL Bean 03 transmission, but what? And most importantly, does it matter, and will the 02 be compatible with my 03?? The transmission I found is excellent and a bargain, but if it won't work then I'm hurting... not sure what I can do to confirm this...
that guy @AlainB from Montreal ran into issues with his Canadian limited H6 (= the bean without the bean labels), and buying a JDM trans for it,

the trans he got was VTD equipped, and his 2001 car is not.

so it took some work to get it in.

(and they gave him some really weirdo one in the first place,...so the 2nd JDM one is the one that works)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So you are a moderator @eagleeye ? , that's what it looks like... good you can correct all my messes. :)

there ain't no correcting the mess with the transmission seal that you had before,

only to learn from it.

I guess that started here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...d-help-installing-new-pics-2.html#post3697657

____

and did you sell the JDM engine / stand you had for sale recently?
No, I am keeping it! Can't let it go. Why in the world does NOONE know if an 02 Bean and 03 Bean trans work compatible..... like a resounding yes or no... ugh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts