Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yes, everyone could RTFM. But have you seen that thing? Thought it might be nice to start a thread with quick tips to get people started after you get your vehicle.

Here's a link to the Getting Started Guide.

For the hands free lift gate, make sure you simply put your hand (or elbow) in front of the emblem and hold it still for a moment. If you wave, it won't open so as to prevent accidental activation if you're simply walking by. So the key is to hold your hand still! Works really well once I got that tip at the dealership.

I'll track down the video for setting the garage door opener and post that next.

Post any other tips/tricks/info that would be helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I spent an hour doing this. No fault of the car but rather my opener. Finally got it working but had to redo it on all My cars and outdoor keypad in the process. :-(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh bummer. It was easy for mine. I remember struggling a ton with it in my 2003 Audi A4 due to rolling codes, so I was shocked that just a couple clicks and I was done.

I still can't figure out how to change the weather info. Well, I could find a preset list of cities, but ...uh... I don't live anywhere near any of those listed. Surely we could add a location!??! The closest options were Denver and Chicago. There's a lot of country between those two cities. If anyone can find a way to add a new city, please let me know!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find any place to enter a zip code or pick a new city or anything. I don't have Navigation. So I hope that doesn't mean I am stuck with the preset list. Because then it's completely useless info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FINALLY! Figured out the weather thing. That was so not intuitive at all. I kept looking in all of the Settings options.

From the home screen select Apps. Select SXM Travel Link. Click on the weather tab. Click Select State/ Province, select from the available cities. I think you also need to change it on the Weather Alert tab and Parking tab (which is pretty useless here... not a metropolitan area where it is hard to park...).

Sheesh that was harder than it needed to be to find. Wish you could simply hard press on the weather widget and change location. I'm sure it's easier for the people who paid for the navigation system, as I would hope it would auto update based on your physical location.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Compass clock zone tips!

* If you have the dimming rear view mirror with the compass you need to set the “zone” you are in to get correct directional readings. mine was set to zone 8, and I needed to reset to 5 for California. Instructions are in the manual.

(The navigation system has its own compass, which also displays in a number of places “outside” of the Nav system, but its “north” is automatically set using the GPS.)

* You also need to set your geographic zone for the clock and DST. Mine came set to EST. Not sure why this is not auto set from the GPS for folks with the Nav system.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
For 'pushbutton start' Subaru, DO NOT store the key near the vehicle... The vehicle will not fully shut down the electrical system and battery may drain.

Another tip: The button on the rear hatch can be 'programmed' to unlock the vehicle using a series of button-pushes. It is a good idea to figure out how this works BEFORE you lock your key in the car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For 'pushbutton start' Subaru, DO NOT store the key near the vehicle... The vehicle will not fully shut down the electrical system and battery may drain.
Interesting. Does anybody know what "near" means here? How about approx 25ft, With the garage in between car & key?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Another tip: The button on the rear hatch can be 'programmed' to unlock the vehicle using a series of button-pushes. It is a good idea to figure out how this works BEFORE you lock your key in the car.
Interesting again, I am starting to like this thread. :)(y) Just bookmarked it ....

Does this work for all trims? And is it explained in the manual?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting again, I am starting to like this thread. :)(y) Just bookmarked it ....

Does this work for all trims? And is it explained in the manual?
I've seen it mentioned in this site somewhere (probably Gen5). It's a process. I think someone explained it better than the manual since a lot of people were confused. But yes, good reminder to so this. If anyone finds a link to that post, please copy a link in here!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I'm surprised it's possible to lock your key in the car. When I got home from the dealership, I had my key fob in my pocket and the extra one was in my purse on the back seat. I tried locking it without removing my purse (because I forgot about it, I never carry one except I needed my checkbook to pay for the car...). And when I touched the lock portion of the door handle it gave a different beep than the regular lock one. Finally realized it was because the doors didn't lock. I assumed that's because it didn't want me leaving that second fob in the car, and was probably confused by one fob outside and one inside the car, perhaps.

Maybe it will let you lock it with the key inside if you use the lock button on the inside of the door??

·
Registered
59 Posts
FINALLY! Figured out the weather thing. That was so not intuitive at all. I kept looking in all of the Settings options.

From the home screen select Apps. Select SXM Travel Link. Click on the weather tab. Click Select State/ Province, select from the available cities. I think you also need to change it on the Weather Alert tab and Parking tab (which is pretty useless here... not a metropolitan area where it is hard to park...).

Sheesh that was harder than it needed to be to find. Wish you could simply hard press on the weather widget and change location. I'm sure it's easier for the people who paid for the navigation system, as I would hope it would auto update based on your physical location.
I was hoping it was a list of traffic spots but it's only a radio broadcast like you would hear on AM radio.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you have the auto dimming side mirrors, they tilt down when selecting reverse so you can see the curbs better then they go back to normal in drive or park.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm surprised it's possible to lock your key in the car. When I got home from the dealership, I had my key fob in my pocket and the extra one was in my purse on the back seat. I tried locking it without removing my purse (because I forgot about it, I never carry one except I needed my checkbook to pay for the car...). And when I touched the lock portion of the door handle it gave a different beep than the regular lock one. Finally realized it was because the doors didn't lock. I assumed that's because it didn't want me leaving that second fob in the car, and was probably confused by one fob outside and one inside the car, perhaps.

Maybe it will let you lock it with the key inside if you use the lock button on the inside of the door??
Below is the video from the Gen 5 on how to set up the rear hatch pin code access.

Subaru Pin Code Access

·
Registered
77 Posts
On The wireless key fob, the Subaru logo is actually a button! It opens the doors. I had to figure that out by reading the manual!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Below is the video from the Gen 5 on how to set up the rear hatch pin code access.

Subaru Pin Code Access
holy cow. After a life of trying NOT to lock my keys in my car (done it on occasion) - I loved on my 2013 that it was impossible because of the push button start. Now when I do it - it beeps at me and says "hey idiot - Im not locking your doors as you requested because your key is still in the car".

Wow - call me old fashioned, but that video shows an EXTREMELY complicated process, just so you can 1. lock the keys in the car by choice, and 2. disable the key from starting the engine. Why would I ever want to do those things? They mention hiking/kayaking/etc. nope. If I cant at least carry my key fob, Im doing it wrong. That is just asking for a AAA visit, which wont be accessable when hiking and kayaking with no cell signal. haha

And you know what THIS eventually leads to with setting the passcodes for opening your doors... It leads to my car saying,
"It has been 3 weeks and it is time for you to change your passcode for higher security, please check your email for your passcode change authorization". (waits for email that never comes)... tries passcode again... "your passcode is incorrect, and have used your 5 attempts to unlock your vehicle, now you have lost access to unlock your car. Please contact Subaru for resetting access to your car. :LOL::ROFLMAO::cry::mad:

(ok Im kidding, but, I am happy carrying my key fob with me if I am using my car, thank you very much. haha)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts