Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm not very familiar with off-road tire specs. I always just used the stock tires on trails previously. But I feel like maybe I have just been lucky.

Looking to replace the stock tires on my outback onyx with some wildpeaks. In order to save some cash I was just going to replace the 4 tires for now and keep the spare with the stock tire and replace that later.

Comparing the 235/60 r18 vs 225/60 r18 sizes. Does the 235 (6ply) offer that much extra protection than the 4ply 225 tire? If I stick with the stock size then I don't really have to worry about the spare being the stock tire. If I install the 235 tires and run into a scenario where I need the spare then will that ruin the drivetrain?

Considering I have only ever used the stock tires I am kind of thinking the 225 4ply would be fine. I have done a lot of noob off-roading using the stock tires and not really thinking about it until recently. Like I said I don't have any experience with off-road/AT tires.

Also wondering if the 235 on the spare still fits in the spare tire compartment. If only while aired down that is ok because I have an air pump.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
330 Posts
Hello all,

I'm not very familiar with off-road tire specs. I always just used the stock tires on trails previously. But I feel like maybe I have just been lucky.

Looking to replace the stock tires on my outback onyx with some wildpeaks. In order to save some cash I was just going to replace the 4 tires for now and keep the spare with the stock tire and replace that later.

Comparing the 235/60 r18 vs 225/60 r18 sizes. Does the 235 (6ply) offer that much extra protection than the 4ply 225 tire? If I stick with the stock size then I don't really have to worry about the spare being the stock tire. If I install the 235 tires and run into a scenario where I need the spare then will that ruin the drivetrain?

Considering I have only ever used the stock tires I am kind of thinking the 225 4ply would be fine. I have done a lot of noob off-roading using the stock tires and not really thinking about it until recently. Like I said I don't have any experience with off-road/AT tires.

Also wondering if the 235 on the spare still fits in the spare tire compartment. If only while aired down that is ok because I have an air pump.

Thanks!
Personally, I would recommend getting another set of rims for the off-road tires. Steel Rims. Before/after off-roading, switch the tires. This way you don't wear down the tread on the off-road tires as much. If you are going off-roading, I would also recommend upgrading other components on the car, not just the tires. Tirerack.com is very knowledge about tires and rims, they will be able to help you with picking out the right tire and rim package or just off-road tires on stock rims.

I doubt the spare tire compartment will fit a 235 that is a very wide tire. I have a 225 in my spare tire compartment and I had to let out all of the air out of the tire and have it up side down for it to fit. Of-course the car had been rear-ended, so the body shop might have not put the tolerance back to the manufacturer specifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I would recommend getting another set of rims for the off-road tires. Steel Rims. Before/after off-roading, switch the tires. This way you don't wear down the tread on the off-road tires as much. If you are going off-roading, I would also recommend upgrading other components on the car, not just the tires. Tirerack.com is very knowledge about tires and rims, they will be able to help you with picking out the right tire and rim package or just off-road tires on stock rims.

I doubt the spare tire compartment will fit a 235 that is a very wide tire. I have a 225 in my spare tire compartment and I had to let out all of the air out of the tire and have it up side down for it to fit. Of-course the car had been rear-ended, so the body shop might have not put the tolerance back to the manufacturer specifications.
Financially it doesn't make sense for me to have a separate set of off-road tires/rims. The main reason I am unsure between the 235 and 225 size is the ply rating. Is the 4 ply 225 tire good enough to off-road with or does it make more sense to go with 6 ply for the extra protection.

If the 4 ply 225 tire is good enough then I don't need to worry about the spare because its the same tire size.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,611 Posts
Look in your spare compartment and judge for yourself, but I’m pretty sure the 235 will fit. You might also consider the tire weight, as I suspect the 6 ply will be heavier and negatively affect overall performance.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
61 Posts
I just went from 235/60r18 Geolandars to 235/65r18 Wildpeak A/T Trails. I honestly LOVE the Geolandar and only put 9000 miles on them, but wanted a bigger tire. Unfortunately my precious Geolandars don't come in the size I need, and I like the stock black rims, so didn't want to get new ones. I have the Primitive Racing lift so fit wasn't an issue, but after reading so much about both tires, I wanted to find out for myself. Didn't k ow about the 6 ply thing, so thanks for that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts