Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering with an idea that you could attach some sort of rough brush to a rig inside the fender, the idea is that the brush rubs against the tire clearing it of debris, particularly snow, creating a clean tire to bite back into the snow, and to prevent the collection of snow in the wheel well.

Also, it can be removable/folded back into the wheel well for onroad driving.

Anyone else have a similar idea?

:29:

EDIT: Came up with the idea that pins would lock the brush in place, and when the pins are removed, it folds down, and then you fold it along the underside of the vehicle just behind the wheel well, it would lock into the fold position using pins as well.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Heated wheels work great and doesn't involve some type of mechanical device damaging vehicle parts. Come up with the heated wheel idea and you'll be Rich! Or not

Reminds me of that old saying in the Boating world. How do you make 1 million building boats? You start with 2 million and stop when you have 1 million left

·
Registered
514 Posts
It is a very good idea, however, in Vermont, with such cold temperatures, if you are driving at 25 degrees (F) and the roads are slushy, then the temperature drops to about zero (F), whatever ice and slush in the inner wheel wells will turn fairly-quickly into solid ice. I'm afraid the brush would be well-frozen in place, and I don't think you would move it unless you could somehow deal with the ice.

It gets pretty nasty here in winter!:17:

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Heated wheels work great and doesn't involve some type of mechanical device damaging vehicle parts. Come up with the heated wheel idea and you'll be Rich! Or not

Reminds me of that old saying in the Boating world. How do you make 1 million building boats? You start with 2 million and stop when you have 1 million left
With aluminum rims this would actually be really easy, I mean almost stupid easy. But, I think you get better traction on snow with cold tires.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A brush that constantly rubs against your tires likely is not going to be useful for long. Most likely, the tire would wear down the brush until it is no longer useable. At worse, it could wear down the tire!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Right idea here, wrong execution really. One of the design elements of good mud and snow tires is supposed to be that the tread naturally sheds the mud and snow as it flexes from the transition in and out of contact with the surface. I've seen snow tires that will leave the shed snow in really nice impressions of the tread grooves. If your tires are not mud and snow rated, this is probably why you'd have an issue with shedding the junk. Even if they are, if you've got them inflated enough that there's little or no flex from the contact transition, you'll lose that design benefit. Guess that might make another reason to air down a bit when going into the mud.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I also came up with the idea that the part holding the brush would be flexible, so that way if there wasn't snow buildup, it wouldn't wear into the tire.

Heated tires? I like 'em cold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A snow tire is actually designed so that the tread fills with snow. Reason being that snow sticks better to snow than it does to rubber.

The packed snow in the tread will better adhere to the packed snow in the road (assuming you can drive with a light foot to prevent wheelspin, and not just mash the throttle), thus giving you better grip. That's why snow tires are desined with all the little tread voids and grooves, more places for the snow to get into and stick.

In deep, unplowed snow this doesn't help, but if the snow you're talking aobut is on the roadway, let the tires pack, they'll do their job better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts