Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the verdict on this one? I've been doing some research about this one and it seems to go both ways depending on what you are reading. I have a 08 Outback and it's ski season here in the Northwest and I'd like to venture up to the local mountains including Whistler B.C. Some posts will say refer to the owners manual which states tire chains can not be used on the vehicle due to lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body. Though it also states if road conditions require, to chain only the front wheels drive at speeds below 19 mph (30 km/h) and some posts state to chain all four tires. Others say chaining only the front two can cause damage to the AWD system if the unchained wheels slip. What's a Subaru owner to do:confused:

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
First off, when weather is bad and they have warning lights on for "must have chains", (like on HWy to Whistler, or coquhailla) if you have snow rated tires "with the snow flake in the mountain symbol" and 4wd, your are only required to "carry" chains. With good snow tires your subie won't need them.

But if you choose,make sure you get the cable chains and they are fitted well. If they are at all sloppy they can do some damage to the body/wheel well. I would personally do all four wheels if I felt I had to do it at all.

Lived most of my life in BC, but now stuck an Albertan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts