Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L Wagon
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would agree about avoiding Sears.

First of all, the guy who gave me pricing was an ass which didn't make me happy. Secondly, they also try to charge "shipping/handling" even though the tires are sitting 50 ft away from them. I'll never shop at their tire store I was just using it for price comparison.

Heck, I avoid buying tools there for the most part now as they crapified them a lot since the good 'ol days.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean, H6 / 2003 VDC sedan H6
40 Posts
Just picked up a set of " Firestone WeatherGrip Touring, all weather.
for my 03 LL Bean....

Haven't tried them in the snow yet, they use what they call " snow traction claw tm technology"
are 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake certified .

Would be interested what others found using them in the snow.
So far, very quiet ride, good handling in wet weather..

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,196 Posts
does Pirelli offer anything competitive with your list?

mentioning because the Cinturatos on our Outback have been stellar so far. Likely not aggressive enough for Wisconsin winters though - ?

I buy my tires from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
239 Posts
Just picked up a set of " Firestone WeatherGrip Touring, all weather.
for my 03 LL Bean....

Haven't tried them in the snow yet, they use what they call " snow traction claw tm technology"
are 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake certified .

Would be interested what others found using them in the snow.
So far, very quiet ride, good handling in wet weather..
I'm looking at these too. BTW @windwalker there is a rebate on Firestone tires :https://www.firestonerewards.com/ My other choice is Michelin CrossClimate SUV Bit of a price bump for the CrossClimate though. Michelins seem to be good and this is also 3 peak mountain Snowflake certified.

My problem and why I'm looking is due to a screw in a tire. :( Not sure if a new one will be within the 1/4 inch spec.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
377 Posts
You list the General Altimax HP, their performance tire, but their real all season, also available T, S, and H, speed ratings would be the Altimax RT43. - Also CR number one rated tire, and best buy. I installed them on my '12 3.6R going on 3 years now, and they're a very good all around tire. Good impact absorption, not real loud on the highway, excellent snow traction and hydroplane resistance, and appear to be wearing very well. (So much better than the stock Continentals it came with in every way).

Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
I’m at the point of needing tires on my 2001 OBW 2.5L Auto.

Currently it has Goodyear Comfortred’s on it and I have never really liked them from the first day I had them. Nothing that I hated about them, they just never stood out as good. Dry grip was lower than I expected and winter performance isn’t what I expected either. They seem very harsh over expansion joints and road cracks. The only good thing I have to say is that they are quiet on the road.

I live in Wisconsin so winter performance is high on the list. I am not willing to spend the money on dedicated winter tires and I recognize that the All Season tires are all compromise. Safety being the #1 concern, braking and ultimate grip are the highest of priorities. Tires are important to me as they are the only thing between me and the road.

Some contenders I have dialed in on so far:
Goodyear TripleTred
Bridgestone G019
General Altimax HP
Michelin MXV4

I’ve never used any of the following but here are my thoughts on each:

Goodyear TripleTred
Lot’s of people on the forum here seem to like this tire. My reservations with it are 1) heavier than other tires leading to decreased mileage (which is already pathetic) 2) Doesn’t perform as well as others in dry conditions relative to cornering and grip (based on other peoples posts). These are an 80K tire. Are they a really hard compound to accomplish that? I don’t want to sacrifice grip for that extra 30K warranty. I’m fine with a 50K tire.

Bridgestone G019
I have these on my wife’s 2002 Accord. I like them. They are predictable in corners, and seem to do ok in the winter. My reservations with this are based on the problems I had with my previous G009’s. My G009’s feathered very badly and got so loud I couldn’t handle the amount of noise at 30K miles. They were consistently rotated at 6K miles. Tires plus gave me credit for the remaining tread and replaced them with G019’s. I’ve only got about 1K on the new ones so I can’t be sure they are any better. I’m skeptical about buying another set of problems.

General Altimax HP
No thoughts really. I have never used a General tire and don’t know much about them. I like the lower price as compared to the other tires in the running here. Are they a “cheaper” tire? There’s a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Michelin MXV4
I haven’t read much about these yet. They seem to be more of a summer tire just based on their tighter smaller tread blocks.

Any thoughts or direction? In reading many forum posts and comments it seems like everybody’s got their opinion but nothing seems to narrow in on a single one being the leader for an all season. Looking for suggestions.

A sales person at Tire Rack recommended the TripleTred and G019. The TripleTred offering better winter performance and the G019 offering better handling/dry performance since it's essentially a higher performance tire.

Thanks.

FYI: I am currently researching tires to replace my BF Goodrich Advantage TA tires which are way too noisy at 40mph or higher. I am considering Michelin Defender T+H which is the #2 All Season tire recommended by Consumer Reports, especially for snow traction and noise. They are kind of expensive at $173 each but may be worth it. Stopped at the local Subaru dealer this morning to ask what brand tire they recommended and the parts man said that their customers have been happy with Yokohama Avid Assend tires but recently Yokohama has released an upgraded version called the Avid Assend LX which has an 85,000 mile tread warranty and costs $133 each. He says that customers have been very happy with the newer tire also. I may still go with the Michelin tires but if not I will try the Assend LX as the Yokohama write up looks really interesting. For me a quiet ride is my top priority

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
394 Posts
Here is a great video on tire testing including the Michelin's CrossClimate which came out shining.
That is an amazing test facility they have, removes virtually all variable for tire testing

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
394 Posts
You list the General Altimax HP, their performance tire, but their real all season, also available T, S, and H, speed ratings would be the Altimax RT43. - Also CR number one rated tire, and best buy. I installed them on my '12 3.6R going on 3 years now, and they're a very good all around tire. Good impact absorption, not real loud on the highway, excellent snow traction and hydroplane resistance, and appear to be wearing very well. (So much better than the stock Continentals it came with in every way).

Might be worth a look.
Those are excellent tires for their price. Primary negative is that their stopping distance gets far worse with tread wear. As you can see below, so far it appears that only Michelin has managed to create a tire that stops well when more than half the treat is gone. Amazingly the two Michelins stop better with 4/32 tread than all the rest new!!! Their water channels actually stay same or increase with wear. Way to go Michelin!
Living here in WA that is a key factor for me.
This very interesting article is from Consumer Reports:

Wet Braking: New Tires vs. Worn Tires

21 - 29 of 29 Posts