Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of transferring all my crap between my old and new cars I misplaced my ancient dial tire gauge. I'm thinking digital, just beacuse I'm a gadget nut. Any reccomendations?

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I got a digital at Walmart. No idea what brand but it is great. I think it was $12 or so.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Dials are extremely accurate if you get a decent one, and will never need a battery:) Brian

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in Advance Auto the other day picking up some goodies when I finally remembered I needed a gauge. I picked up a nice solid brass dial gauge for about 7-8 bucks.

...I also realized I never voted in my own poll :rolleyes: so I guess dial gets my vote

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
hvlwnc said:
I'm thinking digital, just beacuse I'm a gadget nut. Any reccomendations? [/B]
Hei "gagdet man" get one of those talking digital gauges from Radio Shack! I have stick gauges myself, but, I like the dials.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I have a Michelin dial guage, works very well, holds the reading til you clear it, decided to get a decent one some years back when I discovered the handling problems I was having were due to my then stick guage being out hugely, showing 28 when really the pressure was 18...

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I have a standard dial gauge one from Strauss Discount Auto... Forget the brand name but it works.

Jay

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
I have a dial type gauge that is absolutely accurate. It is a Polyair gauge that I got when I had some Polyair air bags fitted to a previous vehicle. These air bags are US made so they should be easy to find so you can get the gauge if need be.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Digital for the past few years. Had a dial one before that and it broke from bouncing around in the truck. Figured digital will hold together, just never been sure of the accuracy.

Used those stick type most farther in the past, but like Jondalar suggests, you can't trust those much. Maybe real good one kept in a airtight storage tube might be okay, and handled carefully.
:p

My digital gauge is rather large and cumbersome, compared to what I've seen available now; another reason for not getting a new or better dial is I don't know of any with a light built-in. Wal-mart has them on a keychain, or a little larger with LED light added. Been thinking of getting a new one since the battery is going to fail in the old one any time now.

Just searched the 'net and see a lot of changes in tire gauges since last I looked. Unfortunately, good digitals can still be higher priced than dials.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
I've got a stick gauge that is virtually worthless, in large part because the red writing is completely worn off the white stick. I put various marks on it myself over the years, but most of the time I can't remember what the marks indicate (that and I never seem to have my glasses when I'm doing the tire thing).

Time to trade up, I guess.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus ES 330 (mine) & my wife own's a 2003 Subaru Forester XS PP1 (Platinum Silver - Monotone)
212 Posts
Bought a digital guage at Canadian Tire for $7.50....made by accutire....works fantastic to the .5 psi. :29:

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,594 Posts
My parents are weird. They buy me "car stuff" every year for xmas so I have all three. Usually I use the dial for my car though cuz I have no idea where I put the digital gauge. I use the stick for my bike because it's light, easy & cheap and it works better for higher pressures (since it's not very accurate, plus I think my dial only goes up to around 50psi & my bike tires are inflated to 80).

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT LTD 5EAT
1,262 Posts
More than you EVER wanted to know about tire pressure gauges, and their accuracy...

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/tiregauges1.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/tiregauges2.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/tiregauges3.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/tiregauges4.pdf

BIG Kudo's to MCN for doing this. If you are a motorcyclist, you BETTER have a subscription to the Mag. They are the "consumer reports" of motorcycing. No ads, no "fluff" reviews. Great writing and honest reporting.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I use a stethoscope type, dial on the end of a hose. It's nice because there is a button you can use to let air out and adjust as needed, it's also in 1 PSI-G increments.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,945 Posts
I had a buddy that owned a dirtbike race shop a few years back, and I was able to pick up a nice Snap-On dial gauge for about 20 bucks, it seems to be much more substantial than some of the dial guages I have seen at the autoparts store, and it seems to have a larger more finely detailed dial, you can get PSIs within about .25 PSI if you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts