Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium with Eyesight and Package #5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2015 OB, the TPMS icon is not lit up at the vehicle start self-checkup. Multiple fixes by a Subaru dealer did not last long. After replacing BIU and more, they now blame the interference from the third-party remote starter that I don't want to remove.

Since the signaling from working tire transducers is still coming, I am wondering if third party gadgets exist, so that I could have the tire pressure being monitored and alerts produced. I know that complete add-on TPMS solutions exist but are there 315 Mhz receivers capable of getting the OEM tire pressure information and channeling them to the add-on indicators? Is tire pressure messaging standardized across the industry?

How tricky would be to get the signal produced by the Outback receiver in case it is still functioning? And, finally, what would be a good positioning of the display unit in the driver's attention zone?

Thank you.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,257 Posts
Have you gotten a Regional Rep involved? Call SOA. If they maintain it is the remote starter, challenge them to pay for removal and re-installation if the problem is the same after removal?

there are valve stem cap-based units. I guess designed for retrofitting older cars. A coworker has a unit from ebay. cheap too.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium with Eyesight and Package #5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pursuing some diplomacy with the dealership but it would help to know a couple technical details:
  • Is tire pressure internal communication standardized across all the 315MHz TPMSs?
  • Is the receiver of the tire pressure communication integrated into BIU or it's a separate block?
To the moderator: would it be more productive to move this thread to the general 2015-19 discussion?

Have you gotten a Regional Rep involved? Call SOA. If they maintain it is the remote starter, challenge them to pay for removal and re-installation if the problem is the same after removal?

there are valve stem cap-based units. I guess designed for retrofitting older cars. A coworker has a unit from ebay. cheap too.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,700 Posts
The problem with a TPMS transmission is that there are manufacturer-specific protocols (sort of a Subaru 'call sign') followed by the hex ID of the sender, and then the data string (pressure, temperature, battery voltage). That's how your car's TPMS ECU differentiates the transmissions from your tires verses all the other cars nearby on the highway. So no, it's not really 'standard' in that respect.

I believe on my model the TPMS ECU is under the dash, and the antenna/receiver is in the roof? Separate units that communicate thru the CAN-Bus system to be able to send/receive data thru the OBD port.

Schrader does sell an aftermarket system with a dash unit and 4 OEM-looking sensors that you mount in the wheel. Is it a totally closed and unique system? Could you program it to 'hear' the transmission of your current Subaru sensors? Let's imagine in the future one of those sensors dies or gets damaged during a tire change. You get a new sensor. How would you upload the new data to amend the original 4?

It's an interesting question! Maybe a call to tech support at Schrader?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts