Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6 Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found that the dealers deliver new OB with too high a tire pressure?

When I picked up my new OB 3.6 limited the tire pressure was 40lbs on all four wheels. The car rode kind of hard and was jumpy on bumps. After 2 weeks, I finally checked about the correct pressure which is 35 in front and 33 in back. I reduced the tire pressure and the ride is much better. This happen to others?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Ours was delivered at 40 lbs in all tires as well. I haven't taken any air out of it, seems to ride fine at that range.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts
My dealer normally puts 35 psi on all 4 wheels. However the last oil service they inflated them to 45 psi. Perhaps someone misread the tire gauge. :) Took me two weeks of driving until I had the opportunity to notice something different. Anyway, I lowered the tire pressure to about 33 psi like I normally set them.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
This happen to others?
The factory normally inflates tires to ~40 psi for shipment. Dealers are supposed to set the proper pressures as part of their pre-delivery prep ... but many of them fail to do it. I just take my known-accurate gauge to the dealership and check/set the proper pressures myself.

My dealer normally puts 35 psi on all 4 wheels ... I lowered the tire pressure to about 33 psi like I normally set them.
The small front/rear pressure differential specified by Subaru is due to the F/R weight distribution, and it is significant if you want to minimize tire wear and stress on the multiplate transfer clutch in normal day-to-day driving.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,712 Posts
I seakritly went to TheGenErik1's house and inflated his tires to 40 psi. He thinks the dealer did it.

Tehehehehehe.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes, about 40 at the sale, and then even for the X mile/month services they don't set the pressure correctly -- doing what russellpat mentioned above, all tires pretty much the same at about 35 or 36.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
80 Posts
Since it's so common across (almost) all dealers and brands, I guess they just expect no customer will ever check/add air so they leave headroom for deflation, temperature drops, etc. Doesn't make it right though.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
FWIW I brought home a new Outback this week and all 4 tires were at 40psi (surprise!)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
62 Posts
My dealer specifically recommended the higher pressure, even going so far as crossing out the recommended PSI in the manual. Mine were set to 43 lbs, which is excessive. They explained it as 'it just works better'. I lowered to recommended PSI, based on another post on Gen-5 'wandering', though I didn't have a handling problem. Maybe it has something to do with trying to get better mileage (?).

Anyway, the lower pressure will aid on gravel roads, which is a factor for me.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Can't say I'd go back to that dealer.

·
Registered
'18 Outback 2.5i Touring. 1960 MGA 1600
26 Posts
In my experience, maintaining the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is critical for optimal ride, handling, mpg, and tire life.

Over inflated tires will wear prematurely.

Local dealer admitted to over inflating tires because, "customers don't check them."

They are hoping to prevent failures due to under inflated tires. The Ford Explorer rollovers resulted from failures of overheating under inflated tires.

D

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,852 Posts
Has anyone found that the dealers deliver new OB with too high a tire pressure?

When I picked up my new OB 3.6 limited the tire pressure was 40lbs on all four wheels. The car rode kind of hard and was jumpy on bumps. After 2 weeks, I finally checked about the correct pressure which is 35 in front and 33 in back. I reduced the tire pressure and the ride is much better. This happen to others?

Absolutely! As soon as you get home from the dealer with your now used car with 27 miles on the odometer, check all fluids, including air, oil, coolant, washer fluid, etc. It is easy to get intoxicated by the new car smell of dealerships and your recent purchase, but snap out of it! The dealership still resides on Earth where incompetence is the norm.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
Mine were set to 40 PSI all around upon delivery, lowered air to 35 all around and ride is much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts