Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback and Legacy 2.5i Premium w/ All Weather Package
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the sudden change in temperature, the cold weather caused my tire pressure to read low and trigger the tpms. Make sure to check your tires before the same happens to you.

Nick

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
Just be sure to put in cold air, or you could crack the tires or rims from the thermal shock.
My light came on as well (7 F), and they were all down 5psi.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
With the sudden change in temperature, the cold weather caused my tire pressure to read low and trigger the tpms. Make sure to check your tires before the same happens to you.

Nick
Just happened to me on Thursday night on the way to the turkey feast. Only one rear tire was a little low. The system must be pretty sensitive, I like this!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Just be sure to put in cold air, or you could crack the tires or rims from the thermal shock.
Now this is something I have never heard of.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Haha yea, don't put 300 degree air in a 7 degree tire. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
The newer vehicles come with tires filled with Nitrogen ... I think those will not have to suffer that much from temperature changes?
If you are concerned about air temperature, send me a note and I will ship you a bag of Canadian air .... could use a pail too, but I am worried they might spill during shipping.
Maybe make sure you don't use steam ... when steam condenses, it reduces its volume by 1,600 times, so you might create vacuum in your tires hahaha.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,615 Posts
...interesting thread...but should be common sense. Things expand when they get hot and contract when they get cold...no shock there. That is why when you drive on the freeway in the summer for a long period of time you tire presure goes up...tires get hot...air expands.

As for the nitrogen thing. IMHO...I think it is more a gimmick than anything. I can see why they use in airplane tires because the tires go from -20 to 30 in a matter of minutes as the planes take off and decend for landing. There are huge temperature swings there. Makes a difference there, but cars, unless yours flies, do not have huge temp swings in tire temps...over a short time period.

...and watch out for that tire shock...lol

...and I didn't know that there was money to made from shipping our air south...what an entrepreneurial venture. Thant's hillarious...:D

·
Registered
2011 OB cypress green 2.5 premium 6mt may 2011 build
177 Posts
Lots of folks ridicule the tire air pressure light, but a few months ago I was on some Forest Service roads in the Ozarks in Arkansas--mostly loose shale.

After about 10 miles back on the asphalt the light comes on and the pressure in one of the rears reads 15 psi. I make it to an air pump, put it back up to 32 or so, and within 15 miles the same thing happened, back down to 15. Obviously I knew I had a leak and was able to hobble into a WalMart to get it patched--piece of sharp rock had cut it.

But, if it wasn't for that light, I would most likely not have noticed much of anything until either the tire was ruined or worse.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,615 Posts
I'm not dissing the TPMS technology...that can be a life saver. I was just poking fun at everything else...no offence intened folks.

·
Registered
2011 OB cypress green 2.5 premium 6mt may 2011 build
177 Posts
I'm not dissing the TPMS technology...that can be a life saver. I was just poking fun at everything else...no offence intened folks.
None taken. I myself have basically thought of it as some useless gadget for folks who don't check their pressure regularly.

With my experience I just realized it has a whole other use as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts