Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glad the neew 05's have extra clearance and large wheels, but disappointed that the profile is so narrow (55 on the XT, 60 on the base wagon.) Being that one needs to deflate the tires off road I want to know can you fit 65 or 70 profile tires on the stock wheels and not have problems with rubbing the fenders.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm a little confused by you saying the profile is "narrow", I think you mean low.. You would be able to fit any 65 or 70 profile tire that gave the same overall circumference, however in doing so you'd end up with a much narrower width of tread and compromised handling on road if not off road as well. There's a link in another thread if you search that has a calculator for working out the equivalent sizes. Of course they may well not make a 70 series profile for a 17 inch rim. To get equivalent circumference to the stock 225/55 17 (US) in a 70 series the width would possibly go down to 175 or 180...

As for letting the tires down off road, I've only heard of doing this for driving on sand...

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
tires

Get a set of 15" rims and 60 or 70series a 215/75R15 offroad tires if want to go serious offroad like the rally cars. You'll get more travel out of your suspension and won't rub . You could also get a lift kit if your serious. I plan on doing all above.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: tires

scooby said:
Get a set of 15" rims
According to our importer/representative here in Sweden this can't be done. They emphatically state that 15" rims will interefere with the front wheel brake calipers. A '04 MY Legacy here ('05 US) come with somewhat smaller brake calipers and can be fitted with 15" rims, again according to our importer. Please proceed with caution. I myself would've liked to fit 15" rims with let's say 185 70 15" spiked tires for winter use, but will now have to resort to surfin' around on standard sized wheels instead. Something which is very far from ideal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 55 series tires will give better traction on the pavement, you must have meant the tire profile was low?

With a 60 or higher series, the tire will actually be narrow but the profile will be higher. You lose a little bit of road grip with these higher profile tires.

But the certain vehicles like trucks take advantage of them. Smaller wheel with lots of rubber on them, for their better traction with torque for towing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are a few wheel and rim web sites out there that explain the whole tire numbering thing. What the "P" stands for and so on. In fact, this web site has an information section.

Anyway, just to my two cents out there, the 225 stands for the max width in millimeters of tire, side wall to side wall. This equates very closely to the width of the tread contact patch give or take. Most sidewalls "buldge" slightly. The next number "/55" equates to the height of the sidewall itself from the rim to the start of the tread. However, instead of being 55mm, it is actually 55% of the tire width. For example, .55 x 225mm= 123.75mm (about 4.9 inches). Changing to a say a 175/70 tire that maintains the overall circumference, would give you very nearly the same sidewall height. (.70 x 175 = 122.5mm). This would do nothing but give you flimsy little tires on your XT.

If you want to keep the same overall circumference you will need to drop rim size. Dropping to a 16"x7" rim would help and it probably would not interfere with the calipers. The 2.5i comes with 16"x6.5" rims fitted with 225/60 tires. The 2.5i rim and tire package is almost exactly the same overall circumference as the XT with the 17" rims. Switching to the 2.5i package will give you 1/2 inch greater sidwall height, top and bottom. Also, the wheel wells may be able to handle a greater circumference wheel and tire combo. Going with a 225/65 on a 16" rim only increases the overall circumference by about 3/4 inch.

I hope some of this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
rwsub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing