Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 40,000 miles on my OB and am looking at the SECOND set of replacement tires for my OB. For whatever reason the stock Duelers are not getting me past 20k here. Rotated as scheduled, TPMS sensors never alert.

I did some initial searching and I don't see any obvious threads that have good recommendations for replacement tires. I'd like to get something that lasts a little bit longer or if we're going to have to do this every 20k then something which is noticeably cheaper!

I am open to making a change - stock is 225/60R18 and if there are suggestions on a better fitment I'll take it.

I will keep searching and hope that I get some good responses on here!

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
653 Posts
Do you want a tire that is more off road based, or street handling based? Seems like the majority love the Michelin LTX or the Premier A/S. Personally, since my car is lowered with some mods, I went the performance route and am VERY happy with my General GMAX AS-05s. Anything would be an improvement over the stock Bridgestones.

Reactions: jsargevt

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
... the stock Duelers are not getting me past 20k here.
Have you had the suspension alignment checked? Excessive toe (front and/or rear) will accelerate tire wear and hurt fuel economy.

FWIW, the OE tires on our 2016 Premium still have plenty of tread left after 24,000 miles of mixed city/highway driving.

Reactions: jsargevt

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking for a decent 4-season road tire. Looks like the Michelin LTX is a good alternative for the same cost. It also looks like people have a lot of love for the General AltiMAX rt43 and the Vredstein Quatracs as well.

I am unsure of the difference between the LTX and the AS tires - it looks more like a marketing difference than an actual difference!

I am positive that we have alignment issues here with this car. Our roads here in NH are pretty crappy, especially in winter and spring. I am almost positive that an alignment is needed after this past winter and the subsequent potholes. It doesn't help that my wife, who is the primary driver, just kind of bashes her way through pretty much everything.

That said, I read tales of people getting 60,000 - 100,000 out of tires and wonder where they live and how that is possible. Here in new england, I think that we're lucky to get anything past 40k up here!

After posting this, I did locate the "tires" sub-forum outside the model-specific forums. Apparently I was unintentionally limiting my searches. However, I still appreciate any other replies!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
following

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Tungsten Metallic, Black Rhino Boxers, BF Goodrich KO'2,Chrome tips, yellow lamin-x fog light film.
109 Posts
When I changed mine out about a year ago the discount tire rep thats on this forum really helped me out. I think he posted a special (like memorial day), so I got talking to him (pm).
I don't do anything crazy off road. Tow a small boat now and again. Got Yokohama YK740 GTX, they do fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am looking for a decent 4-season road tire. Looks like the Michelin LTX is a good alternative for the same cost. It also looks like people have a lot of love for the General AltiMAX rt43 and the Vredstein Quatracs as well.

I am unsure of the difference between the LTX and the AS tires - it looks more like a marketing difference than an actual difference!

I am positive that we have alignment issues here with this car. Our roads here in NH are pretty crappy, especially in winter and spring. I am almost positive that an alignment is needed after this past winter and the subsequent potholes. It doesn't help that my wife, who is the primary driver, just kind of bashes her way through pretty much everything.

That said, I read tales of people getting 60,000 - 100,000 out of tires and wonder where they live and how that is possible. Here in new england, I think that we're lucky to get anything past 40k up here!

After posting this, I did locate the "tires" sub-forum outside the model-specific forums. Apparently I was unintentionally limiting my searches. However, I still appreciate any other replies!
The LTX are a light Truck Tire and have a stronger sidewall than the A/S so if you're on Gravel Roads etc it's a better choice. Though they're the same dimensions the LTX is a heavier tire because of the sidewall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts