Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im all through with my Contis, worn and just barely legal now.

I'm looking for input on a good replacement tire as a starting point for doing some homework. I'm not looking for a super high performance tire... if anything a low noise type tire interests me. I plan to also buy winter tires so snow handling is not important either...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I installed Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's on mine. Good tire and rated pretty high at tire rack

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Being you mentioned snow tires, have you considered the NOKIAN WR G2. They are an all season tire biased toward winter. This would give you the winter performance without the need for seasonal tire changes plus it eliminates the TPMS issue. Lots of very favorable posts on these tires. Also a lot of tire discussion on the forum you can find with a search. Here is a interesting recent thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-procontact-ecoplus-vs-michelin-defender.html

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I have an 07 OBXT that I purchased with in January that came with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. These are by far the quietest tires I've ever had. Discounttire.com has a customer review of 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. These are in the "high performance, luxury" category.

The only con: I am a spirited driver with my XT, so I have noticed sidewall flex. But then again, I'm used to the 18" max performance z-rated tires on the Lexus GS. The sidewall flex is on severe cornering, at speeds some would probably deem unsafe. At regular freeway speeds, these tires are sure-footed, even through the canyons of MT. In reality, this is not really a con, because if you drove hard, you would be looking for tires that can perform.

I bought the car in Seattle in the middle of the snow storm (in February.) I easily navigated the roads with multiple inches of snow (And in the neighborhood I was in, there was a foot). When it all turned to slush, I was one of the only cars that could get around. No joke, I towed a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with snow tires that was stuck IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET with my Subie. I bought the car about 30 minutes before that.

So here's the kicker - even with the streamlined, quiet design, you get enough tread and shoulder blocks to dig in the snow. You also get deep center ribs to channel out the water.

All in all, I give these a 4.8 out of 5. I've recommended these tires to plenty of other Subaru enthusiasts, who have in turn thanked me. Look no further!

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
The only con: I am a spirited driver with my XT, so I have noticed sidewall flex. But then again, I'm used to the 18" max performance z-rated tires on the Lexus GS. The sidewall flex is on severe cornering, at speeds some would probably deem unsafe. At regular freeway speeds, these tires are sure-footed, even through the canyons of MT. In reality, this is not really a con, because if you drove hard, you would be looking for tires that can perform.
Another con is they don't come in the Outback size.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
Another con is they don't come in the Outback size.
:gasp:
Son of a....! Discounttire must be sold out...Anyway, I did a quick search for 225/60R17 MXV4's and found other websites that sell them in that size, as well as other sizes. But I would view Discounttire for the reviews.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
For me, I will be sticking with OEM Contis or Conti Ecoplus. I like low noise levels.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
:gasp:
Son of a....! Discounttire must be sold out...Anyway, I did a quick search for 225/60R17 MXV4's and found other websites that sell them in that size, as well as other sizes. But I would view Discounttire for the reviews.
Where exactly are you finding these? Michelin claims they don't make Primacy in that size.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Being you mentioned snow tires, have you considered the NOKIAN WR G2. They are an all season tire biased toward winter. This would give you the winter performance without the need for seasonal tire changes plus it eliminates the TPMS issue. Lots of very favorable posts on these tires. Also a lot of tire discussion on the forum you can find with a search. Here is a interesting recent thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-procontact-ecoplus-vs-michelin-defender.html
+1...I have these and they are outstanding. they are a true all-season tire. they do not give a soft compliant ride like the contis, but they are better in everyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mpnret - Wow, I am such a boner. I apologize, apparently those 4 cups of coffee didn't help.

I have 225/55/17's on my car. Search for this: "225/55r17 Michelin Primacy MXV4" in google and you'll have your answer.

Sidenote: *As for stepping down from a 60-series to a 55-series in tire height, this will make a negligible difference, if any, in ride quality. Even though it's not the stock size, this is still a safe tire to run. There will be no safety issues. When you go lo-pro (such as 45-series down to 35-series, road noise becomes an issue. On a 55-series, this is not considered lo-pro).*

Apologies! Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
Be sure to consider the General Altimax. The Altimax HP is more performance-oriented; the Altimax RT is more comfort & wear oriented. I had the Altimax HP on another car and thought they were great; much better than the Conti's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts