Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I first want to say that this site has been a blessing. Found many ways to save money to fix my OBX on here. Thank you. My question is, I found someone selling wheels and winter tires and want to know if they will work. His wheels came off of a '06 Legacy size 205/55R16. I have a '07 OBX Basic with 225/60R16's. Any help will be great. Going tomorrow to pick them up.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The 205/55/16's are smaller in width and diameter. The main effect will be on the speedometer which will read higher; that is, when it reads 60 mph, you will be going more like 56 mph (provided the speedo read perfectly with the 225's). Also, because the diameter is about an inch smaller, the car might sit somewhat lower, although this might not be apparent. There shouldn't be a problem with fit inside the wheel wells (as with larger tires), and the wheels themselves should fit on the hub if they're on the Legacy. (Are they the original Subaru wheels from the 06 or an aftermarket product?)

See: Tire size calculator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plain OM. Thanks for the info. I just got them and put them on. Drove around the block with no problems. Took my GPS with me and you are correct about the speed, off about 4mph at 60. Now I'm ready for the snow!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Don't be too surprised if you get a sidewall bulge, crack, or blowout. 205/55R16s aren't designed for an Outback. You are exceeding the load intended from the factory. Not to mention this downgrade in size has an effect on your suspension geometry as well. If you get into an accident your insurance company may cite negligence on your part for having equipped improper equipment to your vehicle. There is a reason 99% of tire dealers wouldn't have touched that with a 10 foot pole. You can go up, but you can't go down. The car was designed to have at least a 97 load index and you have now put on either an 89 or a 91.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, I just wanted to do an update on my tires. After 2 winter I've put over 9000 miles on them. Per Mike's warnings, I kept a close eye on them. No problems except the change speedometer readings. After the winter we had here in WNY you just can't beat a Subie with snowtires!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right on re: Subaru with snow tires! In far northern CA. But here's my question. I'm having to junk my 1999 Outback and looking to buy 2006 or a little later. Can I take my 205/70-15 snowtires off old Subie and put on newer one?

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
No.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
AWDFTW
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing