Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback White 2.5 with 133,000 miles and still going.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but have not found a definite answer. I'm looking at the BF Goodrich All terrains KO2 only. Which tire size would be the best without rubbing? 225/65r17 or 235/60r17? I just gave my Mom my 2014 Outback and I need to get new tires. With the snow, rain, and the dirt/rocky road that gets washed away she needs a good all terrain tire which is why I want the BFG. I have a 2014 2.5i Outback

·
Registered
192 Posts
Someone who knows for sure will probably chime in, but was thinking on 14 and older the 235s don't fit as well and require some trimming, whereas 15 and newer 235s will not rub.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
I've searched but have not found a definite answer. I'm looking at the BF Goodrich All terrains KO2 only. Which tire size would be the best without rubbing? 225/65r17 or 235/60r17? I just gave my Mom my 2014 Outback and I need to get new tires. With the snow, rain, and the dirt/rocky road that gets washed away she needs a good all terrain tire which is why I want the BFG. I have a 2014 2.5i Outback
The KO2s are not at all a good idea for this application. They are very heavy, so acceleration, braking. and mpg are all affected, need to be run at higher pressures, which makes the car feel like an old truck if empty, need to be aired down for even the smoothest dirt road, need to be aired down seriously for any trail use, and are a sub-par snow tire to boot. Some Subaru dealers will raise the hue and cry if they see 225 65 17 on a Gen IV. The only advantage of 225 65 17 in that application would be superb comfort, but with a P-metric AT, not the KO2. Something like Geolander G015.

The KO2s are great for a lifted Subaru that runs 4x4 trails with regularity. That's about it.

Get your mom Conti Terrain Contact AT. They have superb dirt road traction, behave like a street tire on road, are engineered for rain, and are available in the stock size. I had a set for about 5,000 miles. Should have been the OEM tire choice. They are much more likely to puncture than a KO2, but cannot have it all.

Or Cooper AT3 in 235 60 17.

Someone who knows for sure will probably chime in, but was thinking on 14 and older the 235s don't fit as well and require some trimming, whereas 15 and newer 235s will not rub.
I am pretty sure that even tire shops offer 235 60 17 as an option on their websites. The only AT in that size is the Cooper AT3.

·
Registered
2009 OBW 3.0R Limited (5EAT) w/ lift & other mods
222 Posts
The KO2s are not at all a good idea for this application. They are very heavy, so acceleration, braking. and mpg are all affected, need to be run at higher pressures, which makes the car feel like an old truck if empty, need to be aired down for even the smoothest dirt road, need to be aired down seriously for any trail use, and are a sub-par snow tire to boot. Some Subaru dealers will raise the hue and cry if they see 225 65 17 on a Gen IV. The only advantage of 225 65 17 in that application would be superb comfort, but with a P-metric AT, not the KO2. Something like Geolander G015.

The KO2s are great for a lifted Subaru that runs 4x4 trails with regularity. That's about it.

Get your mom Conti Terrain Contact AT. They have superb dirt road traction, behave like a street tire on road, are engineered for rain, and are available in the stock size. I had a set for about 5,000 miles. Should have been the OEM tire choice. They are much more likely to puncture than a KO2, but cannot have it all.
This is all really great info, thanks! I am looking for the smallest A/T's I can find to fit my Gen 3 (with 1" lift) and pretty much the Geolandar G015 (215/60R17) and these Conti's (in 225/60R17) are the only models available that have a diameter smaller than 28", at least as far as tires with a good reputation for being not too noisy, low tread wear, and good traction off-road & in wet conditions. The G015's are back-ordered everywhere until at least mid-April (my local tire shop says Yokohama is "relaunching" the line on April 1st...I'm thinking that's not the best date to choose but that's just me >:)). I'm glad to now have a fallback option. The Tire Rack reviews are really encouraging, and I may end up just going for it with these Conti's.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
This is all really great info, thanks! I am looking for the smallest A/T's I can find to fit my Gen 3 (with 1" lift) and pretty much the Geolandar G015 (215/60R17) and these Conti's (in 225/60R17) are the only models available that have a diameter smaller than 28", at least as far as tires with a good reputation for being not too noisy, low tread wear, and good traction off-road & in wet conditions. The G015's are back-ordered everywhere until at least mid-April (my local tire shop says Yokohama is "relaunching" the line on April 1st...I'm thinking that's not the best date to choose but that's just me >:)). I'm glad to now have a fallback option. The Tire Rack reviews are really encouraging, and I may end up just going for it with these Conti's.
I heard all good news about the G015 until someone mentioned they did not quite like the cornering performance. Then I went "here we go again."

The Conti AT are essentially a street tire that also has excellent grip on dirt. I would not take them into sharp rocks but they are just a great match for an OB: rain, sand, dirt, the two just complement each other.

Reactions: unsub1

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,685 Posts
Tests say for snow best are ra ko2 and wrangler duratrac. Both with snowflake symbol. They go best on snow as all terrain tire.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
29 Posts
I heard all good news about the G015 until someone mentioned they did not quite like the cornering performance. Then I went "here we go again."

The Conti AT are essentially a street tire that also has excellent grip on dirt. I would not take them into sharp rocks but they are just a great match for an OB: rain, sand, dirt, the two just complement each other.
Currently in the market for something similar for my '15 Limited. Having trouble finding a nice AT tire that fits the stock rim. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Currently in the market for something similar for my '15 Limited. Having trouble finding a nice AT tire that fits the stock rim. Any suggestions?
If the stock rim is the 18", I can't say much about those. It depends a lot on how large of a tire the wheel wells can accommodate and whether you have it lifted or not (guessing no). I've been looking at 17" tires that are basically no larger than 27" dia., which means there are exactly two options. With the larger rim, unless the wells on the 2015 are significantly larger than my '05, you'll probably be just about as limited as me for AT tires. The reality is AT's are meant for trucks or SUV's, not Subarus and that drastically limits your options for a stock OBW.

Looking that the tire, that doesn't surprise me at all. It's pretty obviously designed for off-road performance that has specific improvements to allow street use without a ton of noise or poor mileage and handling, and the reviews I've read seem to back that up. Personally I'd rather have the durability and traction improvements and sacrifice a bit of cornering. My only concern in that respect would be how it takes corners on wet pavement. It's wet a lot here in Portland and losing traction on a turn in city traffic is alarming, to say the least.

That fits the look of the tire, but I worry, based on what you're saying, that they aren't going to be really durable for off-road use. It is marketed as an A/T tire, so I'd hope they would be able to handle most everything like forest service roads or the kind of back-country stuff that a Subaru can reasonably handle anyway. I don't plan on doing crazy stuff but would like to avoid getting a puncture or sidewall tear miles out in the bush because it's more of a street tire than an A/T and I overestimated its durability. That's always a risk no matter what, I guess.

In any case, the 215/60R17 size of the G015 is back-ordered for at least 4 weeks, nationwide, and even then there's no guarantee they will be available in my area. The next size up is simply too large to fit on my car, so the Conti's may be the only option for an A/T that will fit an older OBW without waiting for weeks or months.

·
Registered
222 Posts
To bring this back around to your question, based on what I've seen (I've been immersed in tire specs for the last three days) and what @MiddleAgeSubie says, I think the Conti TerrainContact would be a really good choice for your situation. It has good reviews, at least on tirerack.com. The 225/60R17 is 27.6" dia. with a 9" width @ 27 lbs. I think you would have no trouble fitting this tire on a stock '14 OBW. The next size up in that model jumps to 29.5" diameter, which I'm guessing would be too large.

You could also do the Geolandar G015 in a 225/65R17, which comes in at 28.5" with 8.9" w. @ 30 lbs., or the Geolandar A/T S at 225/60R17, 27.6" dia. with 9.1" w. @ 28 lbs. I know both of those models in those sizes are in stock around the country.

Every other A/T tire I looked at in 17", even in the smallest available sizes (which in most cases are still pretty big), ends up at least 29" in dia. That might work on your car but it doesn't sound like you need something that beefy for your situation.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
You guys can always PM @discountTire instead of me:grin2: Anyway, yes, I have become a fan of tire knowledge myself :)

V gen is much, much better off when it comes to AT tires, assuming you have 17" wheels.

If you want to go 245 65 17, you could get the Wildepeak AT3W (and its Sumitomo twin, the Encounter AT?), which seem to be the strongest P-metric ATs. They have sidewalls made so as to mimic 4 actual plies (not a 4 ply rating for LTs, but two plies weaved as to make like a 4 ply sidewall). Their shoulder protectors are jut as strong as those on any E-load LT tire. The AT3W gets rave reviews for on road performance as well, and also features the snowflake. It might develop a bit of a hum over time, but nothing like an MT.

If you want to stay close to stock, 235 65 17 offers a variety of options; I don't have them on top of my mind. I think the COnti AT are available in that size, but I am not sure. I would stay away from the older designs, even the Toyo AT II, which I really liked on the B9 Tribeca, because those have been surpassed.

If you want to stay with 225 65 17, I don't think you have anything beyond the Ko2s, the G015, the Scorpion ATR, and the Maxxis 771. The latter are very rare so if you need an urgent replacement, it will be hard to get it. The Scorpion design is pretty old but should be quite good for general purpose off-roading/lots of road use. I never got to try that tire.

To bring this back around to your question, based on what I've seen (I've been immersed in tire specs for the last three days) and what @MiddleAgeSubie says, I think the Conti TerrainContact would be a really good choice for your situation. It has good reviews, at least on tirerack.com. The 225/60R17 is 27.6" dia. with a 9" width @ 27 lbs. I think you would have no trouble fitting this tire on a stock '14 OBW. The next size up in that model jumps to 29.5" diameter, which I'm guessing would be too large.

You could also do the Geolandar G015 in a 225/65R17, which comes in at 28.5" with 8.9" w. @ 30 lbs., or the Geolandar A/T S at 225/60R17, 27.6" dia. with 9.1" w. @ 28 lbs. I know both of those models in those sizes are in stock around the country.

Every other A/T tire I looked at in 17", even in the smallest available sizes (which in most cases are still pretty big), ends up at least 29" in dia. That might work on your car but it doesn't sound like you need something that beefy for your situation.
225 60 17 is stock on 2010-14 OBs.

I would run far away from Geolander AT-S. It never let me down off-road, but it never excelled either, and its cornering and braking are sub-par, to put it mildly.

When it comes to punctures, I have had in-town punctures of both AT-s and Conti AT. I never had a puncture offroad with the ATS and the Contis only saw about 100 miles of easy dirt roads. Both the AT-S and the KO2s, and especially the latter, survived some serious rock in AZ and UT.

So I don't know what to say about puncture resistance. P-metric ATs, other than the Wildpeaks, will all be more in danger of sidewall cuts than LT metric ATs, but that really is an issue for lifted Subarus or those who drive lots of sand with hidden treasures in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pirelli has actually released a new AT called the Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I saw it in person at Sam’s and went online to read about it. It’s not on the Pirelli site. All you find on a search is the same press release on a bunch of generic sites. If I hadn’t seen the tire in person, I’d think it was some kind of hoax since it’s not on the manufacturer’s site.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/726109/pirelli-shows-off-scorpion-all-terrain-plus-tire

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/prod22100452.ip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Pirelli has actually released a new AT called the Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I saw it in person at Sam’s and went online to read about it. It’s not on the Pirelli site. All you find on a search is the same press release on a bunch of generic sites. If I hadn’t seen the tire in person, I’d think it was some kind of hoax since it’s not on the manufacturer’s site.

Pirelli Shows Off Scorpion All Terrain Plus Tire - Suppliers - Modern Tire Dealer

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/prod22100452.ip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good find! That could be a winner. Looks more rugged than the Conti AT, that's for sure.

Reactions: Kevin McKelvy

·
Registered
2014 Outback White 2.5 with 133,000 miles and still going.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just installed 225/65R17 BF Goodrich All Terrians KO2 and they fit without a problem. No rubbing at all. I’ve not noticed any problem with acceleration or stopping. I’ll post some photos ASAP.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
I've been on Geolandar AT/S for 6 years on my 2012 OB and they have been stellar in all conditions. Wife's new OB has KO2s and I'm really curious to see how they compare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts