Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
09 outback, 2.51 special edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some help with tire sizing and want to know if a different tire size will fit my outback. I got a 09 outback special edition- P255 55 R17, I want to put a P225 65 R17. Will there be enough room so the larger tire won't rub? Has anyone out there tried this without any mods? Any advise will be great! I am looking at getting a more aggressive tread pattern that I can not find in the stock oe tire.:29:

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
The radius on the replacement tire is an inch more. (See:Tire size calculator) If you look at your car's front tires in relation to the mudflaps, there's not much space when the wheels are straight ahead, and even less when the wheels are turned and the corners of the tire treads come nearer to the flaps. Allowing for some movement of the wheel when driving, there might be a risk of rubbing, especially if the new tires have more aggressive, square-cornered, treads.

Might also want to have a look at the rears. On my 07, the front edges of the tire treads are barely an inch, if that, from the small flaps that hang down at the front of the wheel well.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
225/65/17 won't fit.

You may be able to get by with a 225/60/17, but it will likely rub at full lock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts