Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback LTD w/ Nav & Eyesight 2.5l Venetian Red
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I know there are other threads about this subject but I'm looking for responses based on my question. It's time to replace the tires on my 16 Outback LTD. I've been somewhat happy with the factory tires which now have 36K on them and it if was summer, I'd ride it out for another 5k or so. So here is my criteria in order of importance:

Quietness
Handling
Durability
Cost

Living in the Eastern Pennsylvania, winter weather is not too severe, maybe a snowstorm every so often. I'd like tires that provide a quiet, smooth ride, with good handling. Any suggestions from fellow members as to what they purchased.

Thank you,

Neil

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
234 Posts
While I'm a huge cheerleader for the Yokohama Geolandar's, it seems you don't need an A/T tire. So if you're happy with OEM tires, why not just stick with them? The other option I can think of would be a Michelin tire, particularly one rated for all-season. Michelin tires are nice and quiet on the highway.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Haven't had a need for new summer tires on the OB yet, but will likely be getting Michelin Defenders when I do. Great quiet tire with good road wear, have been using them on other cars for a while.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts
..moved to the tire section.

where there are discussions of tires..

...even those with all the thoughts you already have, if you click in the search box up in the upper right of the screen,...from poeple just like you dumping the factory tires for the first time at 36,000 miles.

________

advice: this winter on just 2" of snow, all seasons with as many miles as you have now will give you "All wheel spin" and not "all wheel drive.

Michelin Premier is what I am going to buy next for my 3 season tires. and I have snows on their own rims to swap to, so I can keep those all seasons longer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you liked the stock tire ride quality but little more traction and slightly better ride go Michelin allseason. Wear life will be very similar. If your not happy with the wear life ie want more miles go Geolander or BFG Advantage you’ll get a few more miles of wear better durability little better snow performance ride quality will be very very slightly stiffer and you’ll see about 1mpg average lower due to the more agressive tread/ more draggy tire.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
444 Posts
I just changed out my OB LTD 2016 Tire’s and went with General Ultimax r43. These have been quiet, excellent traction in snow and rain and got a great deal at my local tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
Hello All, I know there are other threads about this subject but I'm looking for responses based on my question. It's time to replace the tires on my 16 Outback LTD. I've been somewhat happy with the factory tires which now have 36K on them and it if was summer, I'd ride it out for another 5k or so. So here is my criteria in order of importance:

Quietness
Handling
Durability
Cost

Living in the Eastern Pennsylvania, winter weather is not too severe, maybe a snowstorm every so often. I'd like tires that provide a quiet, smooth ride, with good handling. Any suggestions from fellow members as to what they purchased.

Thank you,

Neil
Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 235/55R18
1/2" smaller diameter (1mph error on the highway)
I haven't tried them, but I'd like to.

·
Registered
2017 Carbide Gray Metallic Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2014 Venetian Red Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited (sold), 2011 Ruby Red Pearl 3.6R Outback Limited (sold)
181 Posts
Michelin Premier LTX. Put them on my Outback a few weeks ago. Transforms the ride of the car. I used to put grand touring all season on an Outback but this generation Subaru put light truck/suv/crossovers on it. Thats why I went with the LTX. My 4th gens I had Pirelli Centurato.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 235/55R18
1/2" smaller diameter (1mph error on the highway)
I haven't tried them, but I'd like to.
Ive had them on a 1.8T Jetta which was a waste of money tires were way more capable than the car and wore out fast.

I put them on the hobby car SLK 350 which has wide rears and skinny fronts. Very heavy Iron block 3.5L 290hp v6. Its a fun car but terrible scary handling when at the limits if the tires which is easy to find in that car. You only get about 15,000 miles out of the tires which last time was about $1100.

All my buddies with Porsches run 1 set a year.
I would never run them on a tall awd quasi SUV.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight
350 Posts
Ive had them on a 1.8T Jetta which was a waste of money tires were way more capable than the car and wore out fast.

I put them on the hobby car SLK 350 which has wide rears and skinny fronts. Very heavy Iron block 3.5L 290hp v6. Its a fun car but terrible scary handling when at the limits if the tires which is easy to find in that car. You only get about 15,000 miles out of the tires which last time was about $1100.

All my buddies with Porsches run 1 set a year.
I would never run them on a tall awd quasi SUV.
Good info. Thx.

·
Registered
225 Posts
2015 OUTBACK LIMITED
2011 ODYSSEY EX-L

just recently put these continental PURE CONTACT all season
highly rated by consumer reports and tire rack
since i was getting two full sets got a great installed deal locally owned shop
(i've used tirerack before for pre mounted balanced snow tires for a jetta---very slick company came ready to install and walmart charged me 12 to put them on)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...15&autoModel=Outback&autoModClar=2.5i Limited

I AM VERY VERY PLEASED WITH THESE--MY WIFE SAID THEY ARE NOTICEABLY QUIETER THAN ORIGINAL ON BOTH VEHICLES

I RECOMMEND THESE TO ANYONE PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
General Altitrak RT43 IF they still are available.

I'm at 20K with my 2015 and no longer need to commute, so sticking, for now, with the Duelers.....also will be trading/selling when the Gen 6 arrives in 2019 as a 2020 model so swapping tires MAY NOT happen BUT if I have any concerns based on my limited need to be out in the weather, I'll get another set of the Generals......had them on my SG Forester and lived them, especially in rain and snow.....

Merry Christmas!

Steve

·
Registered
2017 OB Premium 2.5 CVT
136 Posts
I just replaced the Duelers on my 2017 with Altimax RT43s from Walmart for $100 each, plus taxes and installation. I had these on my 2013 and they were great.

They were on sale at Walmart.com. I ordered them online and had them delivered to my local Walmart for installation. The Walmart techs did a good job of balancing and mounting, as always.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts