Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gen 4 outback 2013. I installed a lift and got new tires and rims installed with new oem TPMS. So then I went to my local Subaru dealership so they could program my new oem TPMS. After waiting for about 30 min the tech comes back and says the TPMS sensors are programmed but we can not turn the TPMS light off bc the tires are to big. ???? I was confused and upset ! Any one encounter this ? What can I do to get the light off my dash?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a gen 4 outback 2013. I installed a lift and got new tires and rims installed with new oem TPMS. So then I went to my local Subaru dealership so they could program my new oem TPMS. After waiting for about 30 min the tech comes back and says the TPMS sensors are programmed but we can not turn the TPMS light off bc the tires are to big. ???? I was confused and upset ! Any one encounter this ? What can I do to get the light off my dash?!!

That's interesting. Thought they measure pressure not volume.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I didn’t want to make a big deal in front everyone but I was shocked. ! I told them this isn’t my 1st time changing tires on cars. He said they can’t do anything about it :(:(.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Have you tried driving it for a while the tire size being bigger makes no sense at all but some TPMS systems need to be driven a bit, also the sending units are designed to go into a sleeping mode when not being rotated after a while. Then there is a chance you have a bad one or the tech didn't do something right.

subaruambassador

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried driving it for a while the tire size being bigger makes no sense at all but some TPMS systems need to be driven a bit, also the sending units are designed to go into a sleeping mode when not being rotated after a while. Then there is a chance you have a bad one or the tech didn't do something right.

subaruambassador

Just started driving the car last week. Started driving like a hr after the TPMS programming. I’m doing a code search with my own OBD scanner. I wanna see the fault. I’ll post here ASAP

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My OBD scanner reads no fault on the TPMS Module. So I read live data and this is what I got. Did the dealership really program if my live data showing 0 psi on each tire ??

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Can you tell us exactly what TPMS sensors you obtained? The correct ones for your 2013 operate on 315 mhz. The latest few years of Subaru sensors operate at 433 mhz for the new Subi system. Where did you get them and what was the part number (like 28103XXXXX)? I wonder if you have the wrong sensors.

Did you provide the dealer with the Hex ID numbers on the 4 sensors to be uploaded thru the OBD port? Or did they ping each sensor, read & capture the ID and then upload it?

Do you have a tool for pinging and reading out each sensor at the wheel? Are they producing valid data? Size of tire makes absolutely no difference. These sensors read and report the air pressure (and sometimes air temperature).

Did you ever try your Foxwell scanner to read out TPMS before now? Did you get valid pressure date before? Can your Foxwell read out the Hex ID's stored in the TPMS computer, or only the pressure?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No I did not try before. Yea. I can’t believe the dealer told me that. ! I know he is bull shitting me !

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wow.. that's a great price for those.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you tell us exactly what TPMS sensors you obtained? The correct ones for your 2013 operate on 315 mhz. The latest few years of Subaru sensors operate at 433 mhz for the new Subi system. Where did you get them and what was the part number (like 28103XXXXX)? I wonder if you have the wrong sensors.

Did you provide the dealer with the Hex ID numbers on the 4 sensors to be uploaded thru the OBD port? Or did they ping each sensor, read & capture the ID and then upload it?

Do you have a tool for pinging and reading out each sensor at the wheel? Are they producing valid data? Size of tire makes absolutely no difference. These sensors read and report the air pressure (and sometimes air temperature).

Did you ever try your Foxwell scanner to read out TPMS before now? Did you get valid pressure date before? Can your Foxwell read out the Hex ID's stored in the TPMS computer, or only the pressure?

I do not have ping tool and i did not give him any info at all. All he said was he programmed the sensors but can’t turn light off

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It looks like those are the right sensors (315 mhz) for your year Outback.

You don't 'program the sensors'. The sensors are programmed at the factory, and you upload the codes to the TPMS computer on your car so that the sensor's broadcast is recognized by the car. If that is done right, and if the sensors report tire pressure within spec (greater than 30 psi or so), then the car turns off the TPMS dash light.

You need the codes of each sensor (which I cannot read from your ebay ad), or find a shop that can ping the sensors and capture the 4 codes, then upload those codes. It sounds like the dealer you went to had no idea what they were doing.

Find another shop, then ask the first one for your money back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did try other shops and they all pointed me to dealer bc they couldn’t get it to work.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
OK, you need to spend some time in one of those shops and go thru this process step by step and report the data so that we can see where the process is failing.

With a handheld tool, walk around the car and ping each sensor. Each wheel sensor should report back at minimum the unique ID code, the tire pressure and battery status (hopefully you get an OK). You probably won't get a temperature readout. The sensors should respond within 10 seconds or so. If they don't, try again. If they are really slow, you might have a bad sensor.

Photograph the tool screen or write the numbers down.

Try uploading those 4 codes thru the OBD port. Then try your reader tool and see if they are really retained.

If you've successfully uploaded 4 codes that match the wheel sensors, the process can start successfully. When you begin to drive, the 4 sensors will wake up and begin periodically transmitting data. Assuming they measure and report proper air pressure, the onboard system should indicate that all is good, and the dash light will go out. Under normal circumstances this will happen within 2 miles of driving at speeds above 30 mph.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did try other shops and they all pointed me to dealer bc they couldn’t get it to work.

OK, you need to spend some time in one of those shops and go thru this process step by step and report the data so that we can see where the process is failing.

With a handheld tool, walk around the car and ping each sensor. Each wheel sensor should report back at minimum the unique ID code, the tire pressure and battery status (hopefully you get an OK). You probably won't get a temperature readout. The sensors should respond within 10 seconds or so. If they don't, try again. If they are really slow, you might have a bad sensor.

Try uploading those 4 codes thru the OBD port. Then try your reader tool and see if they are really retained.

@Fibber2, you're very helpful and I hope @Twan can get this going and report back.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I try to be, Dad!

While I very strongly believe in the benefit of TPMS, the implementation really sucks. It requires skill, knowledge and tooling that few have. I've made the investment with 3 vehicles in the household (12 winter tires!), so I try and assist when possible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you again. I will stop by shop tomorrow afternoon. I work 12hrs tonight. Can’t really make any plans.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

If you've successfully uploaded 4 codes that match the wheel sensors, the process can start successfully. When you begin to drive, the 4 sensors will wake up and begin periodically transmitting data. Assuming they measure and report proper air pressure, the onboard system should indicate that all is good, and the dash light will go out. Under normal circumstances this will happen within 2 miles of driving at speeds above 30 mph.

Ok. So I went to shop today and they did exactly what you said had to be done. I worked with them very closely they were super chill and did not mind my input. They pinged the unique code and then uploaded it thru OBD port. There scan tool said everything was successful. They tried many times but still light on. Even after driving 30+ miles. They said my TPMS module might be bad. I’m trying to find one online that could Mayb replace.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So everything checks out. My TPMS sending out signal and module is reading it. Why do I still have light ??? You guys know where the location of module is ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts