Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Agree - it looks like this time the codes were successfully uploaded (previously they were not....). And yet your system is not cancelling the failure light. Let me see if I have any other tricks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Agree - it looks like this time the codes were successfully uploaded (previously they were not....). And yet your system is not cancelling the failure light. Let me see if I have any other tricks.

Ok. Thanks. What TPMS tool do you use ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Currently, I'm using an Autel TS508 to work with sensors. I've yet to use this tool to upload sensor ID's to the onboard module thru the OBD port. That will happen next month when I take the winter tires off the 3 vehicles. Last November I was still using an Autel TS408 for sensors and a ATEQ Quickset and a laptop computer to upload (and download verification) codes. My goal with the TS508 is to make a multi-tool process into a single tool procedure.

Now I assume that your system worked properly with your OEM wheels and factory TPMS before you began your modifications? Would it be possible for you to remount those wheels and find someone who could re-upload those original codes for you? This will help us determine whether this is an on-board module issue that coincidentally kicked in with your mods, or something mysteriously wrong with those sensors you bought. All indications are that you have successfully uploaded those new sensors, and they are reporting tire pressures correctly, but the devil is always in the fine details.....

This morning I took a look at the 2013 FSM (Chassis section, TPMS subsection). There are DTC (diagnostic error codes) and pages of step-by-step procedures and wiring diagrams should you have logged a code. The problem is you need SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) to communicate with the TPMS Control Unit to retrieve stored codes. So maybe your next step is to research the free laptop version of SSM (FreeSSM) to see if the authors expanded it to support TPMS. I personally have never looked into it.

Some light reading: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Currently, I'm using an Autel TS508 to work with sensors. I've yet to use this tool to upload sensor ID's to the onboard module thru the OBD port. That will happen next month when I take the winter tires off the 3 vehicles. Last November I was still using an Autel TS408 for sensors and a ATEQ Quickset and a laptop computer to upload (and download verification) codes. My goal with the TS508 is to make a multi-tool process into a single tool procedure.

Now I assume that your system worked properly with your OEM wheels and factory TPMS before you began your modifications? Would it be possible for you to remount those wheels and find someone who could re-upload those original codes for you? This will help us determine whether this is an on-board module issue that coincidentally kicked in with your mods, or something mysteriously wrong with those sensors you bought. All indications are that you have successfully uploaded those new sensors, and they are reporting tire pressures correctly, but the devil is always in the fine details.....

This morning I took a look at the 2013 FSM (Chassis section, TPMS subsection). There are DTC (diagnostic error codes) and pages of step-by-step procedures and wiring diagrams should you have logged a code. The problem is you need SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) to communicate with the TPMS Control Unit to retrieve stored codes. So maybe your next step is to research the free laptop version of SSM (FreeSSM) to see if the authors expanded it to support TPMS. I personally have never looked into it.

Some light reading: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Great post! I just purchased the cable i needed for the freeSSM it was 12 bucks on amazon. Should be here Sunday. I’ll keep you guys posted on what I find. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If all goes well, the student will surpass the teacher. By the end of next week you'll be teaching me and the community how to get to the next level of diagnostics!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If all goes well, the student will surpass the teacher. By the end of next week you'll be teaching me and the community how to get to the next level of diagnostics!

I do appreciate your help !
Check this link out that I found. It does state that I need SSM tool and transmitter Registration tool. Do you know you what that registration tool it’s takings about ? If so lmk!

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312585/tpms-subaru-legacy-and-outback-2005-2013

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Modern Tire: I recognized the wording right away. It's the 2013 FSM drivel that I slogged thru during morning coffee! The Transmitter Registration Tool is Subaru's version of the Autel TS-508. They use it to 'ping' each sensor (a low power, low frequency wake-up call), and the tool captures the output transmission. After you do this to all 4 wheels, the sensor ID data is then uploaded to the onboard TPMS CU.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Interesting tidbit: In another running thread on TPMS issues member Joe19403 wrote: Had the similar problem on my 016 forester. One tire was low and inflated to correct psi and light did not go off. The fix that worked was to let air out to about 20 psi and fill to correct psi. Light went out and the car was only a year old.

Now why this worked, I have no idea. But it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Interesting tidbit: In another running thread on TPMS issues member Joe19403 wrote: Had the similar problem on my 016 forester. One tire was low and inflated to correct psi and light did not go off. The fix that worked was to let air out to about 20 psi and fill to correct psi. Light went out and the car was only a year old.

Now why this worked, I have no idea. But it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Ok will try that tomorrow afternoon after I get off tonight.

·
Registered
177 Posts

You should have no issues uploading sensor IDs to the on-board module with the TS508. I did this on our 17 OB last month satisfactorily with the TS508.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good to hear your experience with the ts508. One question however. Is it bi-directional? With the ateq quickset I can download stored codes. That's great for diagnostics.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good to hear your experience with the ts508. One question however. Is it bi-directional? With the ateq quickset I can download stored codes. That's great for diagnostics.
I am not sure whether it is bi-directional; have not had a need to try this aspect as yet. I was able to upload the Schrader sensor ID's, as well as reset the lamp, i.e. did not even have to drive for a while etc.

Totally separate issue - I tried to reset the TPMS on my daughter's Suzuki SX4 with the TS-508, but it was a no-go. I did not play around with it much, but the procedure to put the SX4 in learning mode appears to be different vs. what the TS-508 states. Will tackle this later.

·
Registered
118 Posts

It can read sensors, upload and download them, and program Autel sensors (not Schraeders).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It can read sensors, upload and download them, and program Autel sensors (not Schraeders).
Good to know that it can download data too. Thanks. As I mentioned, that's a help in system fault diagnostics that I have used my ATEQ Quickset for in the past.

True on the "not Schhrader" issue (or any other programmable, for that matter). Autel is a walled garden, and part of the key to them making tools for less than half the price of the competition. I recently purchased a set of Autel MX 1 sensors for 'cloning'. I'm sure they are decent, but I would have preferred to have purchased Schrader EZ 35000 sensors.

What could be so totally different about the programming mode that they won't work across platform? I wonder how long before someone decodes this and offers Jailbreak code for these units??

21 - 34 of 34 Posts