Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2034 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i
1,119 Posts
The purpose of this thread is to become a sticky for educational and ogling purposes only. Please respect the purpose of this thread as it will be beneficial not only now while the 2015 is in its infancy, but also in a decade when some lucky newcomer gets a ride.

Please post your specs of tire and wheel, followed by a picture.
Tire specs should include brand/model along with the measurement.
Wheel Specs need to include width and offset of wheel as well as size.

Thank you

Mod Edit:

Here is a PDF showing sizes and wheels. 1 = rub 0 = no rub.

Most of Rub can still work if you remove mud flaps.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-2019/431585d1529338116-tires-wheels-proven-fit-doc1.pdf

Full credit goes to @Ktiemann for creating this PDF.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited
23 Posts
How is the firment on those 225/70r17's? Wondering if I could squeeze some 235's under the fenders. Ill be purchasing differnt wheels with +45 offset

·
Registered
3.6 2015
29 Posts
Firestone Destination AT - 235/65/17

No rubbing or other contact. Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3.6 2015
29 Posts
You may need some minor wheel well modification (heat gun to shrink the liner, etc) if you are thinking about 235/70/17. Creso's 225/70/17 are maxing it out. There is one spot where they just barely touch at full lock and articulation. Minor enough to be fine for that size, but one size up would likely be problematic. But hey, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

How is the firment on those 225/70r17's? Wondering if I could squeeze some 235's under the fenders. Ill be purchasing differnt wheels with +45 offset

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
On 2012 - 2014 Subaru Outbacks with 17" OEM wheels, you can safely upgrade from 225/60/17 to 235/60/17 tires. Some people have trimmed 1/16" off the inner portion of the mudflap (to prevent slight rubbing when sharply turning on steep inclines) and others report making no minor modification.

235mm size has a 1.7% taller rolling circumference difference (speedometer reads 1.7% lower) and the ride height difference is only .24" taller.

You can play around with the numbers on the Tire Size Calculator (below):

http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium (On order)
22 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some nice wheels here. I'm picking up a white Premium Outback this weekend and the only thing I don't like about it so far are the stock wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
376 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some nice wheels here. I'm picking up a white Premium Outback this weekend and the only thing I don't like about it so far are the stock wheels.
I wasn't a fan of the wheels that come on the Premium but they have grown on my (partly because they match the ice metallic silver). However, I do see new wheels sometime in the future. Find someone with a base 2.5i and they would probably be happy with your cast-offs if the price is right.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
You may need some minor wheel well modification (heat gun to shrink the liner, etc) if you are thinking about 235/70/17. Creso's 225/70/17 are maxing it out. There is one spot where they just barely touch at full lock and articulation. Minor enough to be fine for that size, but one size up would likely be problematic. But hey, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, plus you do not want to waste wheel travel either. I have 0.5" Primitive spacers, which preserve the original, quite remarkable for a car, wheel travel. But when I had the spacers and stock size tires, it was something else--very un-car like, tremendous upwards travel for a car.

Having 29.5" tires on a car is amazing enough, honestly.

The size chosen by ThrottleDave, 235-65-17, which is 29", is fantastic due to 1/choice in that size and 2/price due to said competition.

If I could reasonably run that size, I would. But I am trying to stay as close to stock as possible, doing only what I absolutely need in order to get where I want to go. I have no interest in "off-road looks," I only want to actually go places!:) Those of you with the 15s are lucky on the tire side of things.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Black
24 Posts
So I just got new wheels and thought I'd share. The other thread with wheel size was dead on with the new bolt pattern and these BBS SR Wheels 17x7.5 5x114.3 48mm offset 21.8lbs wheels fit with no problem. I was thinking about getting 18" wheels but the ones in my price range were all so heavy compared to the 17's and I thought it might be best to keep them as close to the original specs as possible of 17x7 5x114.3 55mm offset 24 lbs. I also didn't want to get new tires at this point. The BBS SR Wheels are about 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the factory wheels and it feels like it accelerates just a little bit easier. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far but I love how they drive. These are my first after market wheels ever bought and so far I'm glad I did. I almost bought the Sport Tuning T8 wheels because they are cheaper but I just wasn't sure about the long term reliability.

Here is how it use to look

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
597 Posts
So, with new rims + tires, new tpms sensors are needed. I read somewhere that these have to be "calibrated" to the car. Is this something that can be done through the dashboard menu system or does it have to be dealer programmed.

I was thinking about going with 17" 2015 WRX stock rims (black alloy).

Thanks..

·
Registered
'15 Outback Prem
73 Posts
So I just got new wheels and thought I'd share. The other thread with wheel size was dead on with the new bolt pattern and these BBS SR Wheels 17x7.5 5x114.3 48mm offset 21.8lbs wheels fit with no problem. I was thinking about getting 18" wheels but the ones in my price range were all so heavy compared to the 17's and I thought it might be best to keep them as close to the original specs as possible of 17x7 5x114.3 55mm offset 24 lbs. I also didn't want to get new tires at this point. The BBS SR Wheels are about 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the factory wheels and it feels like it accelerates just a little bit easier. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far but I love how they drive. These are my first after market wheels ever bought and so far I'm glad I did. I almost bought the Sport Tuning T8 wheels because they are cheaper but I just wasn't sure about the long term reliability.

Here is how it use to look

those are the exact rims i checked out on Tirerack as replacement for the OB. I'm glad to see it in pictures before committing to them and they look awesome!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i 2007 Lexus GS450h
138 Posts
Looking good Biesty! I like the OEM choice, according to Tirerack BBS SR is the only BBS wheel for the 2015 Outback Premium (Machined cost $980) BBS is the best being the supplier of 2015 STI. How much did you pay to remount the OEM Bridgestone tires and TPMS onto the new wheels?

When my Premium comes in next month, I might go with your wheels (BBS SR) matched with Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred ($600) for a total of $1,600. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 would of been my top choice for tires but they don't have size 225/65R17.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to know how the 2005-2007 STi wheels fit...

I'll have an answer in a couple weeks ;)

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wider wheel, and 53 offset is my concern. I'm worried about the inner clearance.

I'll edit my post when I have them on I guess.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i 2007 Lexus GS450h
138 Posts
Try this web site

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I used these specs,
OB - 17X7 55mm
STI - 17X8 53MM
Tire 225/65r17 on both wheels
it showed me, Suspension clearance:100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Thanks for the helpful link TomTom! Alright so I'm planning to get the 18x8 BBS SR Anthracite Bolt Pattern: 5-114 Offset: 50mm

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=SR023SG&wheelMake=BBS&wheelModel=SR&wheelFinish=Anthracite+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Outback&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=2.5i+Premium&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=BBS&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Matched with Michelin Premier A/S 225/60R18 (OEM size for 18' Limited wheels) TireRack cost is going to set me back $1,800 plus tax and shipping. Or maybe I should just PastiDip the OEM Premium 17' wheels and save some dough.

1 - 20 of 2034 Posts