Subaru Outback Forums banner

2061 - 2080 of 2128 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
It’s carbon tint. I think 35% and it comes real close to matching the back. Little harder to see at night though. Not sure I gained anything aside from unstrung weight (suspension related). As the pickup seems to be taxed a little. I think since the tire itself is 6 pounds heavier, the added weight at the outside (rotational mass) is more which negates the lighter rim? Also, the roof rack isn’t bad around town, get over 45 mph though and it’s like having a sail up there........

Wow, your setup looks great. Good to hear that you lost a few pounds of unsprung weight with your wheels while gaining some performance. What kind of window tint did you get?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
44 Posts
As promised, here's the new set up fresh from Discount Tire today -- Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires (245/65/17) on 17" Method MR 502 Bronze wheels.

Also have a 5th tire on the way that'll be rotated in and -- for now -- mounted on the cargo rack. If I ever have hopes of using a Wilco Hitchgate to carry my spare in the back, I'll first have to tear out the 1 1/4" factory hitch (which is going to cost like $500 to do), and then buy/install a 2" hitch...ughh.

I couldn't be happier with the look, and as others have said, 245's do not rub. Next up, 2" ADF lift kit, and more fun stuff.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited
7 Posts
Mattytreks, that looks great! I just got the same MR rims (in black) and put 235/65/17 Geolandars on my outback, and also love how the car now performs. It's seriously like a different car to me. Good to know I can go up to 245 tires without rubbing with the Falken Wildpeaks, cause I just wasn't sure with so many posts to sift through in this forum thread.

My question is if anyone knows if any of these Geolandars, KO2s, or the Wildpeaks tires will rub if I were to add the wheel arch mouldings. This would all be stock height, no lift.

As promised, here's the new set up fresh from Discount Tire today -- Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires (245/65/17) on 17" Method MR 502 Bronze wheels.

Also have a 5th tire on the way that'll be rotated in and -- for now -- mounted on the cargo rack. If I ever have hopes of using a Wilco Hitchgate to carry my spare in the back, I'll first have to tear out the 1 1/4" factory hitch (which is going to cost like $500 to do), and then buy/install a 2" hitch...ughh.

I couldn't be happier with the look, and as others have said, 245's do not rub. Next up, 2" ADF lift kit, and more fun stuff.

View attachment 474751

View attachment 474752

View attachment 474753

View attachment 474754

View attachment 474755

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,505 Posts
Please do not report someone for making a tire recommendation, two members were reported to me from this thread within the past 24 hours and frankly I don't care. I recommend Nokian tires myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please do not report someone for making a tire recommendation, two members were reported to me from this thread within the past 24 hours and frankly I don't care. I recommend Nokian tires myself.
Hi, as a new member I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of this thread was to share experiences and recommend tires and wheels to each other. Thank you Kevin for this cool forum.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,505 Posts
Hi, as a new member I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of this thread was to share experiences and recommend tires and wheels to each other. Thank you Kevin for this cool forum.
There were complaints reported that there were people advertising tires in this thread when in reality they were simply making personal recommendations. Thank you for inquiring further as I think it was beneficial for me to clarify further.

·
Registered
53 Posts
17x8 rims with a 45mm offset are golden. My Geolandar 235 65 17’s fit like a dream no rubbing. My guess is that a 245 would also fit but I’m not a fan of the tire sticking out the wheel well. These aren’t Wranglers : )

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
44 Posts
17x8 rims with a 45mm offset are golden. My Geolandar 235 65 17’s fit like a dream no rubbing. My guess is that a 245 would also fit but I’m not a fan of the tire sticking out the wheel well. These aren’t Wranglers : )
I am a huge fan of the more aggressive look.

But that’s the beauty of an Outback – you can make it look like a refined city-driver, or a very capable overlander.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Matt, mine looks aggressive. Lol. And mine stick out from the wheel wells maybe 1/2 inch or so. Just not a fan of 2 inches out as the paint gets destroyed unless you have crazy wide mud flaps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of an Outback with a lift and 235/65-17 tires? I am ordering wheels and tires now, but was considering a lift in the future. I was just hoping to see what a 235/65-17 would look like and if it still fills up the wheel well enough when you put the lift on compared to the 245/65-17s I typically see on lifted outbacks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI, I'm looking at a set of Falken Wildpeak on Amazon for $86 a tire!!! Anyone know if a 235/75/17 will fit? Looks like its roughly a 1/2" taller than a 245/65/17. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
44 Posts
HI, I'm looking at a set of Falken Wildpeak on Amazon for $86 a tire!!! Anyone know if a 235/75/17 will fit? Looks like its roughly a 1/2" taller than a 245/65/17. Thanks for your response.
I wouldn’t do it. The largest I’d ever recommend going is 245/65/17. I have to think there will be some serious rubbing, otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mattytreks, that looks great! I just got the same MR rims (in black) and put 235/65/17 Geolandars on my outback, and also love how the car now performs. It's seriously like a different car to me. Good to know I can go up to 245 tires without rubbing with the Falken Wildpeaks, cause I just wasn't sure with so many posts to sift through in this forum thread.

My question is if anyone knows if any of these Geolandars, KO2s, or the Wildpeaks tires will rub if I were to add the wheel arch mouldings. This would all be stock height, no lift.
Bumping this to see if any of you have insight with my question. I'm considering either the stock arch moldings or the JDM ones, but wanted to be sure adding these wouldn't cause tire rubbing from where they're attached with clips in the wheel hub. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
44 Posts
Bumping this to see if any of you have insight with my question. I'm considering either the stock arch moldings or the JDM ones, but wanted to be sure adding these wouldn't cause tire rubbing from where they're attached with clips in the wheel hub. Thanks in advance.
You should be A-OK with the arch moldings, even running on up to 245/65/17 tires.

Now mud flaps, however...that may be a different story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should be A-OK with the arch moldings, even running on up to 245/65/17 tires.

Now mud flaps, however...that may be a different story.
Thanks Matt, that's helpful to know. I do already currently have the stock splash guards (mud flaps) installed, but am on 235/65/17 Geolandar tires with no rubbing.

2061 - 2080 of 2128 Posts