Subaru Outback Forums banner

2081 - 2097 of 2097 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a little late sorting this out and we're in our second snow storm as I write.
I was considering running 225/65R17 's on 17x7 Imprezza wheels Offset is 55mm and the tire size would maintain my stock 28.5 inch diameter like the Bridgestones I currently have. My question of course is this doable without rubbing or worse binding? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,413 Posts
I was considering ... Imprezza wheels Offset is 55mm and the tire size would maintain my stock 28.5 inch diameter ...
Check the Impreza bolt circle. Is it 5x114.3 or 5x100?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
37 Posts
Been running the 245/65/17 Wildpeaks for about five days now. My initial thoughts:

• I absolutely love the look of the Wildpeaks. They really fill up the wheel well and look every bit as rugged as the KO2’s
• The ride is just as quiet as my Michelin’s were on the freeway or city streets
• Cornering and handling is fantastic
• I am now noticing tire-rubbing in the wheel well when either 1.) reversing while turning at a severe angle, or 2.) cornering at moderate speeds when turning the wheel to a severe angle (i.e. making a quick U-turn)

As it pertains to the tire-rubbing, my 2” ADF lift kit won’t be installed until next Saturday, so I imagine that will alleviate most if not all rubbing issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the Impreza bolt circle. Is it 5x114.3 or 5x100?
Actually the wheel vendor identifies them as a Subaru Legacy wheel but the bolt circle is correct 5 on 114.3. My biggest concern initially was clearing the calipers but I see lots of people running 17" wheels and I spotted an Outback at the Maverick with steel wheels so I chatted up the owner and he sent me the same website i was shopping, There seem to be a lot of Outbacks here in NW Nevada, it says a lot about the brand and model.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been running the 245/65/17 Wildpeaks for about five days now. My initial thoughts:

• I absolutely love the look of the Wildpeaks. They really fill up the wheel well and look every bit as rigged as the KO2’s
• The ride is just as quiet as my Michelin’s were on the freeway or city streets
• I am now noticing tire-rubbing in the wheel well when either 1.) reversing while turning at a severe angle, or 2.) turning a corner moderate speeds when turning the wheel to a severe angle (i.e. making a quick U-turn)

As it pertains to the tire-rubbing, my 2” ADF lift kit won’t be installed until next Saturday, so I imagine that will alleviate most if not all rubbing issues.
I was dithering between the GT Ice Pro and the Falken Eurowinter and finally decided to go with the Falken. They'll all show up about the same time thus ending any chance of snow in the immediate area.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts

• I absolutely love the look of the Wildpeaks. They really fill up the wheel well and look every bit as rigged as the KO2’s
• I am now noticing tire-rubbing in the wheel well when either 1.) reversing while turning at a severe angle, or 2.) turning a corner moderate speeds when turning the wheel to a severe angle (i.e. making a quick U-turn)

This tire/wheel combo looks great!

It is useful to know that the 245/65/17 Wildpeaks do rub a bit. Looks like in general going to a 245/65/17 on the 5th Gen Outback is getting into dicey territory. I just ordered a set of Wildpeak A/T Trails at 235/65/17 on Method MR503s and will report back with my findings. I have considered a lift down the road but am concerned about the cost, ride quality, and installation issues. Gonna try this setup and see what happens later on down the road. Hope to hear more about your lift adventures with this tire/wheel setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First upgrade was the tires. Stock wasn't sticky enough and I didn't like the tread design. These are the same height as stock and wider. They fit the stock wheel nicely and no rubbing.
Toyo Tires EXTENSA HP II All-Season Radial Tire - 245/55/18
1205191033a.jpg
1205191033.jpg
1205191033_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I thought I had everything lined up and then the tire vendor called and informed me that they were out of the tire I ordered and would I like to buy a set that was twice as expensive and less aggressive.
I opted out and canceled the order. I contacted the guy with the Obie that I met in Yerington and he put me on to his friend in Wellington who works for a tire warehouse. He suggested using the Firestones he runs in 235/70r17 .
They're a bit more but not exorbitant. I'll report back once they're mounted on the car.

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
561 Posts
You should be A-OK with the arch moldings, even running on up to 245/65/17 tires.

Now mud flaps, however...that may be a different story.
Mud flaps can take up space the tire uses to steer. I made my own, since I saw the factory splash guards as inadequate and the rally boyz stuff as excessive, so I split the difference. Stock front wheels/tires rub a little at almost full lock, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
... I saw the factory splash guards as inadequate ...
"Inadequate" depends highly on the driving environment. In my personal experience, the Subaru accessory splash guards are remarkably effective in normal street and highway use, without incurring a significant cost in aerodynamic drag and related noise.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
6 Posts
Regarding OEM part # 28111AL04A
steel rims for a 2015-2019 Legacy 5 lug -114.3 mm 17"x7" Offset 55 mm CenterBore 56.1 mm
Will that part number fit my 2017 3.6R Touring for winter snow tires?
I found some for less than $80 each / free shipping.
If not, does anyone have the correct part number for steel rims that will fit?
Best regards

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
561 Posts

"Inadequate" depends highly on the driving environment. In my personal experience, the Subaru accessory splash guards are remarkably effective in normal street and highway use, without incurring a significant cost in aerodynamic drag and related noise.
What I made kept a great splat of what might be white road paint off the body, just a little on the black plastic rocker trim. (found after a road trip)

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Will that part number fit my 2017 3.6R Touring for winter snow tires?
For Gen 5 Outbacks, steel wheels were original equipment in Base trim only. The Gen 5 Limited/Touring 3.6R was never offered with the steel wheels, just the 18-inch alloys.

Those steel wheels should fit, but there may be insifficient clearance at the front brake calipers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For Gen 5 Outbacks, steel wheels were original equipment in Base trim only. The Gen 5 Limited/Touring 3.6R was never offered with the steel wheels, just the 18-inch alloys.

Those steel wheels should fit, but there may be insifficient clearance at the front brake calipers.
The wheels WILL fit. Brakes and calipers are the same across the board between Outbacks and Legacys.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
6 Posts
Appreciate that information.
I went down a size on our 2012 Limited Outback and was hoping to do the same in our 2017
For dedicated Winter Tires

2081 - 2097 of 2097 Posts