Subaru Outback Forums banner

2121 - 2138 of 2138 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R, 2004 STi
80 Posts
Your car looks excellent. The dark gray wheels match nicely with your paint.
I recently found a set of these forged STi limited wheels in excellent condition and can't wait to get the tires mounted soon. I am going with 235/55 Continental Purecontact LS.
Well the tire shop just called and said this wheel and tire combination does rub against the strut when the wheels are turned all the way to one side. Dang.
So I’ll be running the PureContact 235/55/18 on the stock outback limited wheels. Dang again but happy to have new tires. Anyone want to buy a set of 18x8.5 STi limited forged wheels?

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
213 Posts
Your car looks excellent. The dark gray wheels match nicely with your paint.
I recently found a set of these forged STi limited wheels in excellent condition and can't wait to get the tires mounted soon. I am going with 235/55 Continental Purecontact LS.
I have Continental extreme contact 255 55 18 on my stock wheels and no suspension mods with no rub ever even at 38 psi. Just a thought

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have Continental extreme contact 255 55 18 on my stock wheels and no suspension mods with no rub ever even at 38 psi. Just a thought

Interesting. There must be a lot of tire hanging outside the rim with 255 on a 7" wide wheel. The 235 tire on the stock 7" wheel width bulges outside the rim more that I am used to seeing.
I think it has to do with the STi wheel being 1.5" wider than stock with the inboard edge of the rim 0.75" closer to the strut since both have the same 55 offset. I'm really bummed I wasn't able to drive home with my sweet STi wheels on the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pictures 255 55 18 on stock 7" wide wheels (18x7 with 55 offset)

If I do 8" wide wheels will be 40 offset or lower

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
183 Posts
Interesting. There must be a lot of tire hanging outside the rim with 255 on a 7" wide wheel. The 235 tire on the stock 7" wheel width bulges outside the rim more that I am used to seeing.
I think it has to do with the STi wheel being 1.5" wider than stock with the inboard edge of the rim 0.75" closer to the strut since both have the same 55 offset. I'm really bummed I wasn't able to drive home with my sweet STi wheels on the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Disclaimer, discount tire crew thought they would rub and close. I can't get my index finger between tire and strut tower but never a rub even in fenders without mod

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
581 Posts
Disclaimer, discount tire crew thought they would rub and close. I can't get my index finger between tire and strut tower but never a rub even in fenders without mod

That makes more sense - the wheel and strut move together so steering should not affect clearance to the strut.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That makes more sense - the wheel and strut move together so steering should not affect clearance to the strut.
I agree and had the same thought when they told me it only rubbed when they turned the wheel. I believe they meant steering wheel but they may have meant tire. I agree the strut turns with the steering wheel.
I really should have drove over to the shop but it wasn’t a good time for me to leave work and double check what they were saying was true. It’s bugging the crap out of me because I still have a sweet set of STi wheels just sitting in a box.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are some posts and instruction on trimming/heating bending the inner fender well to address rubbing. I would take a PTO from work to baby sit the tire install.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
I agree and had the same thought when they told me it only rubbed when they turned the wheel. I believe they meant steering wheel but they may have meant tire. I agree the strut turns with the steering wheel.
I really should have drove over to the shop but it wasn’t a good time for me to leave work and double check what they were saying was true. It’s bugging the crap out of me because I still have a sweet set of STi wheels just sitting in a box.
I think you need to get more information and consider your options before selling off the wheels. You could run a spacer to increase clearance on the inboard side. Check out outbakkr's car since he's running a similar setup. I have 18x8.5 STI wheels with 25mm spacers and 245 tires. No issues before or after spacers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I had them listed on eBay and it was an agonizing couple of days since I really like these wheels. I just ended the listing after 100 views and one follower. I’ll investigate spacers. 25mm seems like a lot. I wonder how much that will impact bearing life? I’d want to run as small of a soccer as possible but at some point that involves longer studs.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Yeah I had them listed on eBay and it was an agonizing couple of days since I really like these wheels. I just ended the listing after 100 views and one follower. I’ll investigate spacers. 25mm seems like a lot. I wonder how much that will impact bearing life? I’d want to run as small of a soccer as possible but at some point that involves longer studs.
I'm used to running spacers and lower offsets so I'm not concerned. As long as you know what you're getting into maintenance should be understood. The smallest spacer you can get that's bolted to the hub is 15mm I think. If you want something smaller you'll have to go with extended studs as you mentioned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm used to running spacers and lower offsets so I'm not concerned. As long as you know what you're getting into maintenance should be understood. The smallest spacer you can get that's bolted to the hub is 15mm I think. If you want something smaller you'll have to go with extended studs as you mentioned.
Which spacer brand do you recommend?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Which spacer brand do you recommend?
There are a ton out there. I've used H&R but mostly on European cars. Perrin is probably one of the more well known for Subaru. I bought some spacers off eBay and quality was good. As long as material and machining are good then I have no problem with eBay. I would say this is primarily of concern if you're going with the bolted version (e.g. spacer bolts to hub using stock studs and wheels bolt to spacer studs). For bolt through applications (literally a fancy washer) there are less concerns.

eBay spacers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Order some 17" axis excite wheels with 235/70r17 geolander at tires. Should be here monday pics to follow. Factory limited wheels and tires sold to "Brucey" a member on here
Those are the same tires I'm looking to get.
235/70R17 17x7.5" axis excite with a 45 offset. Slight rub on high speed cul-de-sac 180's other than that good to go. That basically equates to a 30" tire
These are the same tires I'm looking to get. Are you running any kind of lift. How necessary is the 45 offset? Do you think they'd fit on the factory 17" wheel?

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
183 Posts
Those are the same tires I'm looking to get.

These are the same tires I'm looking to get. Are you running any kind of lift. How necessary is the 45 offset? Do you think they'd fit on the factory 17" wheel?
See Matt? This is why I suggested this thread, the one with 107 pages of comments and thus a much larger audience. You're Welcome.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
108 Posts
It's the extra ten pounds of unsprung weight they add at each corner of the car. Same reason one should steer clear of KO2s.

Really appreciate this thread....it's changed my thinking about which way to go on a tire/wheel swap, especially the unsprung weight issue. I've been working for a week on solutions, and so far have 5 different options that are less weight than the 52-pound combined tire/wheel OE setup, and two options that are 4 pounds less per corner than OE. My question is: Other than likely improved gas mileage, is there any other upside to less unsprung weight, or would I be better off aiming for as close to the 52 pounds, without going over? 🤔

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Really appreciate this thread....it's changed my thinking about which way to go on a tire/wheel swap, especially the unsprung weight issue. I've been working for a week on solutions, and so far have 5 different options that are less weight than the 52-pound combined tire/wheel OE setup, and two options that are 4 pounds less per corner than OE. My question is: Other than likely improved gas mileage, is there any other upside to less unsprung weight, or would I be better off aiming for as close to the 52 pounds, without going over? 🤔
Reducing unsprung weight would only help, in more areas than just mpg. Braking, accelerating, handling, etc...

2121 - 2138 of 2138 Posts