Subaru Outback Forums banner

2241 - 2260 of 2282 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning - looking at buying new tires. oem is 225/60 R18. I wanted to go a bit bigger. Will the 235 or 245 fit without modifications?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
245/65R17

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
286 Posts
Good morning - looking at buying new tires. oem is 225/60 R18. I wanted to go a bit bigger. Will the 235 or 245 fit without modifications?
I have 255-55/r18 on factory wheels and no suspension mods. I spent a good amount of time comparing inflated diameter and width on discount tire, tire rack, and manufacturer websites.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I tried searching on this forum and was looking for a little more help. I saw the rim and tire spreadsheet for fitment but did not see 18x8.5 +55 offset. I own a ‘15 outback premium and was looking to put a set of 18x8.5 +55 stock sti wheels on my car and was wondering if it would fit or if there would be any issues or rubbing. Also if there are certain tire sizes that would fit. I was looking to install BFgoodrich advantage T/A sport LT tires. Thanks for reading and I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts
Have you looked in the wheels and tires proven to fit thread in the 5th gen forum? There’s quite a few guys running STI wheels

EDITED.. theyre all over this thread, have you looked?!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am struggling and need the masses of the interwebs to help decide.
Stock suspension ... Need for trails for hiking, camping and fishing. Ability to air down would be nice. Lift is down the line but not anytime soon. Mudflaps (rockblokz) may be down the road as well.

Wheels - Sparco Terra vs Method MR501. Sparcos are cheaper and lighter and I had them on my last vehicle. Methods are a little more poke and something new but more expensive and heavier.
vs

Tires - Falken Wildpeak A/T 235-65R17 vs 225-65R17. Would probably pair the 235 with sparcos since it would help offset the weight a bit and pair the 225s with methods as it'll be flush enough.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
Stock suspension ... Need for trails for hiking, camping and fishing. Ability to air down would be nice. Lift is down the line but not anytime soon. Mudflaps (rockblokz) may be down the road as well.

Wheels - Sparco Terra vs Method MR501. Sparcos are cheaper and lighter and I had them on my last vehicle. Methods are a little more poke and something new but more expensive and heavier.
View attachment 487404 vs View attachment 487403

Tires - Falken Wildpeak A/T 235-65R17 vs 225-65R17. Would probably pair the 235 with sparcos since it would help offset the weight a bit and pair the 225s with methods as it'll be flush enough.
View attachment 487405
You should give some information about what car you have, mostly year and what engine. If you have the 3.6 the weight and tire size increase wouldn't have as much effect, but with the 2.5 any increase in weight will be noticeable in both power and fuel mileage. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but it is something to be aware of.

·
Registered
140 Posts

View attachment 487404 vs View attachment 487403

View attachment 487405
One vote for the 225/501 combo! I put these on my 2019 3.6 and they are perfection. Quiet and responsive on pavement, even at speed. Grippy when wet, a 3 Peak Mud/Snow rating, and that 65-17 sidewall and an aggressive tread for off road adventures or evil city potholes. As you know, the 501 was purpose built for the Subaru USA Rally Team, nice and sturdy. As far as 225 vs 235, see Taconugget's posts and cool pics alongside mine in the 2020 Outback Aftermarket Wheel and Tire thread (Post 54ff) to help you choose.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
318 Posts
I love the look and$$ of the Sparco.

I made the mistake of showing my wife a picture of the methods and those are the ones she liked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should give some information about what car you have, mostly year and what engine. If you have the 3.6 the weight and tire size increase wouldn't have as much effect, but with the 2.5 any increase in weight will be noticeable in both power and fuel mileage. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but it is something to be aware of.
Yep missed that. 2020 xt.

Reducing unsprung weight is king in my book. I'd go with the Sparco over the Method. Whats the difference in offset/width?
Sparcos are +45mm and 7.5" rim and that flavor of Methods is +42mm at an 8" rim

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts
agreed. ive been looking at tires for awhile now trying to keep the weight of the OEM rim and tire to around OEM weight which the OE tire alone is 27lbs. so for those with a 2.5, id try to stay around 54-57lbs, combined weight of rim and tire.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
agreed. ive been looking at tires for awhile now trying to keep the weight of the OEM rim and tire to around OEM weight which the OE tire alone is 27lbs. so for those with a 2.5, id try to stay around 54-57lbs, combined weight of rim and tire.
I added about 4 pounds per corner with the Falken Wildpeaks stock 225/65R17 size and I kept the stock wheels and had them powdercoated. When I looked for wheels that were lighter I never found any that I liked the look of. In fact the only wheel I did like was the MR502 and if I remember right those were about as heavy as the stock wheels. The lighter wheels all seemed to have the skinny little spokes that just don't look right to me on the Outback. I don't like the look of being able to see so much of the rotor and caliper. Save that for the ricers.

I haven't tracked it for long enough to know exactly, but I'm guessing in my normal daily use I dropped between 1 and 2 mpg with the Wildpeaks. I can't say that I've noticed any hit to power/acceleration, but I drive pretty conservatively anyway so I wouldn't be that likely to notice. I don't like the mpg loss but it is an acceptable trade-off to me to be able to drive to places where the stock Duelers didn't do well. And the powder coated stock wheels aren't at the top of the list in looks but they look far better than they did silver and far cheaper than a set of new wheels. I'm happy with the setup.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts

I found this thread, all OEM subaru wheel specs. the earlier 5th gen 18s weighed around 24lbs according to this thread. so combined weight of the wheel and tire for OEM is 51lbs. great resource

2241 - 2260 of 2282 Posts