Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2009 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking good Biesty! I like the OEM choice, according to Tirerack BBS SR is the only BBS wheel for the 2015 Outback Premium (Machined cost $980) BBS is the best being the supplier of 2015 STI. How much did you pay to remount the OEM Bridgestone tires and TPMS onto the new wheels?

When my Premium comes in next month, I might go with your wheels (BBS SR) matched with Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred ($600) for a total of $1,600. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 would of been my top choice for tires but they don't have size 225/65R17.
I went through Tire Rack and went to Big O after which was recommended installer or whatever it's called. The total install cost was $167.93.

That sounds like a great combo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone know if the 2015 WRX wheel will fit on a 2015 OUtback 2.5i base with steelies? and if they do what size tire should i step up to, wanting to get a slightly wider tire than stock and go with an all terrain tire. my stock tires are 225/65/17. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
tomtom74 - thank you for posting that link.

I am hoping to get new wheels for my 2015 base model when it comes. I was hoping to be able to just put the factory tires on so am looking for 17x7 wheels.

These are the ones I am hoping for - https://www.canadawheels.ca/Fast-Wheels-EUROPA-wheel-17-inch-Flat-Black-5X100-114.3-4878

They should fit right?

Thanks for any input :)

Glenn

Try this web site

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I used these specs,
OB - 17X7 55mm
STI - 17X8 53MM
Tire 225/65r17 on both wheels
it showed me, Suspension clearance:100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks TomTOm74.

The problem up here in Canada is the lack of options for wheels in a reasonable price range. I like the way these ones look. Maybe I can find some similar without dual pattern.

So how do I know what size hubcentric rings to get. Essentially they are filling in the gap between the factory and new wheel bore size? Is that right?

Thanks!

If you are only asking for fitment then yes, it will fit, but I would stay away from dual bolt pattern wheels. It's just my opinion. And I don't know anything about "Fast Wheels" so I can't say good or bad, but make sure you spend a few extra bucks and get HubCentric Rings, unless wheel come with same bore size, but not more then likely tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi TomTom74,

I really like those TSW black ones. If I can find those in Canada for a similar price I would be in to it for sure.

So are you saying that the stock 7 inch wide tires will fit just fine on 8 inch wide rims? I had no idea you could do that. Does it affect the performance of the wheels?

Thanks so much!

Glenn

If you like these style then what do you think about these?

Tremblant Alloy Wheels by TSW
or
Valencia Alloy Wheels by TSW

I'm not here to sell you anything, but just by looking at price on wheel you pick, TSW wheel might be a better choice for the money.

If you want to keep stock tire which are 225/65R17, then you can go up to 8" wide tire without stretched look. These TSW come with 17X8, 5-114.3 w/40mm offset and it will be just fine.

Hub-centric is much much better then Lug-centric. Hub-centric rings are set of 4 for under $15 USD.

I think stock Bore Size is 56.1 You might want to call Subaru and verify that information, I might be wrong on that.

I hope this holped.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
So ... the stock 7 inch wide tires will fit just fine on 8 inch wide rims? I had no idea you could do that. Does it affect the performance of the wheels?
You can use the tire technical specifications posted on a site like TireRack.com to determine acceptable rim widths for any given tire. The two specs to look for are "Measured Rim Width" and "Rim Width Range." "Measured Rim Width" is the "standard" (i.e. tire manufacturer recommended) rim width for that tire; all of the other tire specifications are based on a tire mounted on that width rim. "Rim Width Range" is the range of acceptable rim widths for which the tire can be expected to perform (and wear) normally. Expect degraded performance and shorter tire life (both due primarily to contact patch distortion) if you go outside of the published "Rim Width Range."

For example, for a typical 225/65R17 tire (as fitted to the 2015 Outback):

Measured Rim Width = 6.5 inches
Rim Width Range = 6.0 to 8.0 inches
2015 OEM Subaru Outback rim width = 7.0 inches

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I just got new wheels and thought I'd share. The other thread with wheel size was dead on with the new bolt pattern and these BBS SR Wheels 17x7.5 5x114.3 48mm offset 21.8lbs wheels fit with no problem.
So it looks like I was wrong with the BBS SR wheels specs. I bought them over the phone from Tire Rack before they loaded the wheels that fit the 15 Outback. Looks like they are 22.7lbs and have a 42mm offset. Either way the car drives easier and looks much better than the factory wheels. They seem to go right to the wheel arch which I like better than the factory wheels.

Here is a pic from my drive from Tahoe to Palm Desert. Got 33.5 mpg doing about 70 mph the whole way. Can't wait for it to break in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi TomTom74,

I really like those TSW black ones. If I can find those in Canada for a similar price I would be in to it for sure.

So are you saying that the stock 7 inch wide tires will fit just fine on 8 inch wide rims? I had no idea you could do that. Does it affect the performance of the wheels?

Thanks so much!

Glenn
You can take a look at 1010tires.com... i'm looking here for winter wheels and tires... Canadian website so you don't have to worry about duty or anything...and they have TSWs...

I haven't dealt with them yet but worth looking into...

Jason

·
Registered
138 Posts
Biesty wheels would of been my choice to replace the fugly 17" Premium wheels. 18x8 BBS SR Anthracite wheels paired with Limited OEM size 225/60/R18 Continental PureContact tires add taxes, TPMS, shipping the whole package would of cost around $2,000 on top of $28k that I'm paying for the Premium.

http://www.bbs-usa.com/road-wheels-detail.cfm?CLID=89&WF=4

Today I cancelled my VON on a 2015 2.5i Premium EyeSight ($28,000) and ordered 2015 2.5i Limited EyeSight ($31,500) instead. The difference is roughly $3,500 but I'll keep the 18" wheels, keyless start, Pin-code Access, memory seats, sunroof, navigation, and HK sound is probably worth it in the long run. I did not splurge for the 3.6R would of cost around $34k and I prefer the FA20 turbo engine from the Forester XT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
new TPMS is only if you're upgrading to 18" yeah? Saw on Tirerack these are listed either $215 or 245 depending on the finish. Would love to see these on the Blue, not sure how it would look , the safer choice would be the machined silver look. Either way, about a $1000 investment. I think worth it as the Premium's alloys are the most aesthetically unpleasing wheels I've seen in awhile.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wheel needs TPMS sensor if it's new. Or use the old stock wheel's, in which case you'll have to get a rebuild kit to transfer them over to the new wheel. Extra cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Performance or aesthetics?

Hi Everyone

Just got my first Outback, 2015 2.5 Premium. I wasn't sure if this was right to post in this string but I thought it could add value long term so I won't make a new string.

Are you changing the wheels for purely aesthetics or is there a performance component?

I read Beisty's post on the vehicle being "quicker" start and stop, even though he is just losing about 2lbs per wheel. Can I really expect improved performance with a lighter wheel? Anyone have any real world gas mileage yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know if the base model also has the TPMS? If you get new wheels this will need to be replaced or you can just leave it out?

Thanks!

Glenn

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is a reasonable price for a shop to take the stock tires off of the factory wheels and install them on a new set of wheels (ensuring that TPMS is still working)??

Glenn

21 - 40 of 2009 Posts
About this Discussion
2K Replies
561 Participants
adresjohndel
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing