Subaru Outback Forums banner

781 - 800 of 2630 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,429 Posts
... so the wider wheel would push in more toward the car, not push out further.
If the offset remains constant, the wider wheel would "push" equally on both sides.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
If the offset remains constant, the wider wheel would "push" equally on both sides.
I got a little confused here: so for an example if the new wheel is 1" wider, but with same offset as original, the new wheel will push 1/2" more in either direction. Correct ? That means the backspace is increased by 1/2" ? Hope I got it right this time.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,429 Posts
... if the new wheel is 1" wider, but with same offset as original, the new wheel will push 1/2" more in either direction. Correct ?
Correct.

That means the backspace is increased by 1/2" ?
Correct.

·
Registered
White 2015 Premium ADF 2" lift. Previously, 2013 Pzev Ice metallic silver.
67 Posts
17x8 Method Race Wheels MR502s and 235/65-17 Maxxis Bravo 771 A/Ts. No rubbing, sharper steering than stock 18s on our Limited.

And no lift and no rubbing? How's the highway noise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 subaru outback 3.6r, 2011 Subaru ForesterXt
240 Posts
Thinking about changing out the OE 18 inch wheels to get a better tire and more clearance. Reading these threads can be confusing. I already have a two inch lift and now looking at 245/65/17 tires. The offset is what I am confused about because the dude at the tire store seems to think I need a 35mm offset wheel, yet on this board it seems like people are doing it with offsets in the 40s. I can get a decent looking wheel at 40-42mm offset. Does anyone know for sure if that size will work and still clear the strut?

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,446 Posts
Thinking about changing out the OE 18 inch wheels to get a better tire and more clearance. Reading these threads can be confusing. I already have a two inch lift and now looking at 245/65/17 tires. The offset is what I am confused about because the dude at the tire store seems to think I need a 35mm offset wheel, yet on this board it seems like people are doing it with offsets in the 40s. I can get a decent looking wheel at 40-42mm offset. Does anyone know for sure if that size will work and still clear the strut?
35 or 40 is fine.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R LTD EYESIGHT
59 Posts
Tire Rack had them in stock and shipped them out the same day I placed the order. The price included the lug nuts and hub centric rings. Costco mounted, balanced and overhauled the TPMS sensors for $72, a great deal. Remember, it didn’t happen without a photo. :wink2:

Here it is. And loving it. You were my inspiration lol. Thank you

funny thing is, my oem wheels had no tpms. isnt that weird? i'v driven for about 50km now with the new wheels and no signs of a lack of tpms.

·
Registered
2016 subaru outback 3.6r, 2011 Subaru ForesterXt
240 Posts
35 or 40 is fine.
Thanks Grant! I am about to order a 17.5 wheel at 35 and 245/65/17 tires. The guy at TireRack said it would never fit and would hit the fenders so I talked to someone else at Discount Tire and they seemed to think it would work. I will be ordering from Discount Tire.
This should give about another half inch of clearance.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thanks Grant! I am about to order a 17.5 wheel at 35 and 245/65/17 tires. The guy at TireRack said it would never fit and would hit the fenders so I talked to someone else at Discount Tire and they seemed to think it would work. I will be ordering from Discount Tire.
This should give about another half inch of clearance.
17.5?

I know they fit. Everyone knows they fit, Theres like 10 of us with that setup

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
Here it is. And loving it. You were my inspiration lol. Thank you

funny thing is, my oem wheels had no tpms. isnt that weird? i'v driven for about 50km now with the new wheels and no signs of a lack of tpms.
Looks good. Since you said you had driven 50km, I assume you're not in the US. If it was me, I'd check with your dealer on the TPMS. Maybe they are just a USA thing. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R LTD EYESIGHT
59 Posts
Lol thanks and yup it's a USA thing. We don't have it up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
41 Posts
Hey all. The good:

17x8 Method Racing 501 wheels (gunmetal)
Hankook Dynapro AT-M tires in 235/65 17

The not so good:

Has anyone had trouble balancing aftermarket wheels & tires that required hub adapters for the wheels? Like several of you, I put MR wheels on my new Outback soon after I bought it. They look amazing, but they're the first wheel in 16 years of Subaru ownership that I've needed to mount with adapters. Two roadforce balancing attempts still haven't gotten rid of the shakes. It disappears entirely once I put the OEMs back on the car. I even asked the dealership to look at the suspension to make sure nothing was wrong there.

If the adapters are unlikely to be causing the issues, I have to believe it's a defect with the wheels and/or tires. I'm just surprised that two separate techs and Hunter RF machines didn't pick up on them. Odd, right?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
The not so good:

Has anyone had trouble balancing aftermarket wheels & tires that required hub adapters for the wheels? Like several of you, I put MR wheels on my new Outback soon after I bought it. They look amazing, but they're the first wheel in 16 years of Subaru ownership that I've needed to mount with adapters. Two roadforce balancing attempts still haven't gotten rid of the shakes. It disappears entirely once I put the OEMs back on the car. I even asked the dealership to look at the suspension to make sure nothing was wrong there.

If the adapters are unlikely to be causing the issues, I have to believe it's a defect with the wheels and/or tires. I'm just surprised that two separate techs and Hunter RF machines didn't pick up on them. Odd, right?
I recently put the MR-502’s on my 2016 and there are zero balance issues or shakes. Since the purpose of the hub-centric rings is to ensure that the wheel is centered on the spindle and not allowed to “float” on the studs, I would suggest you very carefully examine your rings. The slightest machining error or damage from a careless tech during installation will mean that no matter how good the balance is on a balance machine, the wheel could be off-center. Maybe a quick call to Method (Phone#: 866-779-8604
Email:
[email protected]) with an explanation of the issue and a request for a new set of hub-centric rings as a first troubleshooting step, would be in order. Another troubleshooting step would be to replace the OEM wheels one at a time until the shakes go away. At least you would then know which wheel is the actual cause of the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
41 Posts
Thanks for the feedback; that helps! I'll do that. I've also contacted Tire Rack to see what they'd like to do. I've never received a single wheel or tire from them that wasn't perfect, but I realize it COULD happen.

And I figured this wasn't a widespread issue, else I'd have seen one of you comment on it after mounting wheels with hub adapters.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
everyone says this and that about hub rings

I run spacers, with no hubcentric rings. Never had an issue in 10 years.

The rings are there as an idiot proof way to center the wheel. If you to proper tq of the wheels, its not an issue

781 - 800 of 2630 Posts