Subaru Outback Forums banner

Tires and wheels that are proven to fit

Gen 5 
3M views 3K replies 808 participants last post by  DefaultOBUser 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The purpose of this thread is to become a sticky for educational and ogling purposes only. Please respect the purpose of this thread as it will be beneficial not only now while the 2015 is in its infancy, but also in a decade when some lucky newcomer gets a ride.

Please post your specs of tire and wheel, followed by a picture.
Tire specs should include brand/model along with the measurement.
Wheel Specs need to include width and offset of wheel as well as size.

Thank you

Mod Edit:

Here is a PDF showing sizes and wheels. 1 = rub 0 = no rub.

Most of Rub can still work if you remove mud flaps.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...5d1529338116-tires-wheels-proven-fit-doc1.pdf

Full credit goes to @Ktiemann for creating this PDF.

Thanks!

See less See more
#58 ·
Now I've researched this a bit and there are many other vehicles like the outback with the same bolt pattern tire size just curious if the centre hub will fit

This is what I've researched so far that has the same bolt pattern and tire diameter

Acura rdx
Dodge journey
Dodge caravan 2010 and up
Toyota rav 4 2013 and up
Chevrolet equinox 2010 and up
Honda CRV 2011 and up
Mercedes glk 2012 and up
Suzuki grand vitara
Mazda cx5
Lexus rx350

#62 ·
BBS vs Enkei vs OEM Limited

I plan to keep the 18" OEM Limited wheels and put Continental PureContact or Michelin Premier A/S with it. I've read that PureContact is better for the snow and Premier A/S is more comfortable, anyone with experience with these 2 specific tires?

#63 ·
Would any 16" wheels fit the 2015 Outback? I'd love to get a set of Grabber AT 2's or BFGoodrich T/A KOs while keeping the stock tire height of 28.5 inches. That height is only offered for 16" wheels, though.

I've heard that only 17's and up will fit due to the larger 2015 brakes, but my GTI has the same-ish size disks (12.3" and 12.4") and I run 16" Sport Edition A7s in the winter. Then of course you have the calipers on top of that, but...

Do some wheels of a given size offer more clearance than others? I'd be very happy if any 16" wheel fit over the 2015's brakes. If they did, they'd presumably fit the 2014 Forester XT as well.

#65 ·
I'd still be very interested to find a 16" wheel that would fit 2015 Outbacks, but I may have found a 17" solution. What I really want is just an all-terrain tire that has more off road ability than the OEM Bridgestone Dueler tires, or even a little more ability than the Geolanders that come on the Forester and XV Crosstrek. Not many AT tires come in low(er) profile shapes as would be similar to the Outback's OEM size, but the Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 comes in a 29.1" diameter, which is only 0.6" taller than stock. It's a 235/65R17, so it also doesn't have an overly wide section width. I'd prefer thinner, but beggars can't be choosers! This would be markedly larger than the Forester's stock size and certainly the Crosstrek's stock size, but I think it might work well on the Outback without any accompanying modifications.

Of course, I don't actually have an Outback yet :D I'm thinking about one though (or possibly a fozzy), and these days I like to pick out tire choices before buying vehicles. Call me crazy, but I think picking out tires is fun.

#67 ·
New realizations keep coming, haha... The Yokohama Geolandars that come OEM on the Crosstrek and Forester (which are great for my Mom's Forester, but I deemed not aggressive enough for me) are "highway all-season" tires and NOT the Geolandar AT's that I thought they were. The Geolandar AT is a much more aggressive tire which comes in all the Crosstrek/Forester/Outback stock 17" sizes. Some people even squeeze these tires onto WRXs. Very cool!

That said, they don't look nearly as cool as the KO's :) I'll keep that dream alive, though the Geolandar AT's might be my way to go.

#74 ·
Got a quote today for winter tires and they were trying to get me to buy some wheels as well. I don't like to impulse without looking around first but I might actually get these:

Blizzak WS80's mounted/balanced/tax = $667 ($128/tire)

Blizzack's + Wheels (included lugnuts/TPMS/mount/balance/tax) = $1,227
- Original "price" was $1,450

They're also offering a $100 mail in rebate if I get the wheels. We'll see tomorrow if they'll come down a little more. Wasn't totally set on buying wheels for my Outback. I have the stock 17's, which aren't hideous, but also not great in the looks department. Maaaaaybe if they offer to buy my stock wheels for any amount I'd bite.

What do you guys think? I' might go with the charcoal wheels instead of the black. The black also has a red strip along the outer edge. Although I'm sure I could find another brand without the red stripe. I love BBS styling and quality, but not for the $$$. It's not a race car.

Brand is "Drag." Will be going on a white OB, FYI.

Some virtual pictures of wheels that look close to these from tire rack:

#75 ·
TSW Nurburgring *Forged

What do you guys think? I' might go with the charcoal wheels instead of the black. The black also has a red strip along the outer edge. Although I'm sure I could find another brand without the red stripe. I love BBS styling and quality, but not for the $$$. It's not a race car.
Hey Kayak83, the BBS SR is nice but your right about the $$$ mounted with Blizzak WS80 would be like $2000 for the whole package. If your going with the Drag wheels, I vote for charcoal.

Here's a another popular wheel TSW Nurburgring *Forged that a lot of WRX owners get aftermarket because of the light weight (17lb) compared to OEM weight (22lb). 3 colors Bronze, Mirror, and Black. Price is around $200-$250 per wheel contact your local Discount Tire for exact pricing:

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

They don't have 2015 Outback view yet so here's a 2014 in white:

#80 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but for those that quickly switch to aftermarket wheels, what do you do with the OEM wheels/tires? I'm guessing Craigslist is more or less the only option? I've never put aftermarket wheels on a car, but am considering it this time. What would be a realistic/ballpark expectation for what I could fetch for blemish free 18" limited wheels & tires with <2K miles?

#81 ·
Craigslist is pretty much it. Or ebay if they want to pay for huge shipping fees. You won't get a whole lot for all 4 wheels. I'd guess maybe 500 max. And that might be generous. See if the tire shop you get wheels from would buy them from you to entice you to get new ones through them maybe?

#82 ·
I'm waiting for someone to try these, they're available in the right sizes for the outback. And from what I can see significantly lighter than the BBS/sti wheels.

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Lightweight Wheel (this the only place I know that sells them. I've ordered 2 sets for previous vehicles and loved them)

Team Dynamic Racing has a long history in providing wheels for Rally and touring car championships.

#86 ·
Looking at replacing my Premium wheels and these are the leading candidates:

I really like the Sport Tuning wheels and they are a steel at $106 each. The BBS wheels are sharp but they are proud of them at $245 each. I think the Platinum Recluse look just as good as the BBS and at $115 per wheel are a great deal. My only concern about the two cheaper wheels is they are made in China. Anyone have any experience with these brands.

#92 ·
For those that have had new wheels installed, what needs to be done with the TPMS sensors? Moved to the new wheels? Buy new ones? If new were needed, do I need to get these from Subaru or are these a generic item the tire store can provide? Can the tire store initialize them or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Note from Tire Rack web site:
New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

Reactions: CVFD02