Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
outback 2010
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking delivery of a 2015 outback limited which means 18 inch tires (size 225/60/R18 H100). Apparently, the stock tires are Bridgestone Duehler HP A/S (sport). I am not a fan of Bridgestone, and in searching the internet, found that these tires are poorly rated (even on Bridgestone's own corporate site, they score a 2.5!)

So, I am considering replacing them immediately upon delivery. There are only three choices available in that size: (1) Michelin Premier AS, (2) Continental Pure Contact (not ProContact) and (3) Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (not the Comfortred Touring).

I would appreciate your opinions as to which tire to use.

My priorities are:
(1) minimum road noise
(2) good traction in rain and light snow
(3) good ride, i.e. I really don't want to feel every bump, rock, etc.

Thank you !!
craig

·
Registered
19 Posts
Best advise I can give you is to go to tire rack, plug in your size and see what's available. All the tires are rated and its done me good, throughout the years.

I also just purchased a 15 Outback limited and also was a little dejected about the tires. But I found them to be a little thin for the car. I'm hoping that when I wear these out, I can get a different size.... with a little more meat.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
924 Posts
I had the comfortreds on a previous car (Pontiac G6). That's about all I can help you with.

They hit your #1 and #3 dead on. They are almost totally silent, quietest tire I've ever owned. They also absorb bumps extremely well. Good riding tire if you want to keep the baby asleep! As for #2, they did very well in light snow. And we got 80k miles on them, well, 70k and traded the car, but there was a good 10k left.

As for the negatives. Your #3 is a trade-off for handling. There is no road feel. It feels like there's marshmallows between your tires and the road, because, really, there is. There's a soft pad within the tread. The sidewalls are also on the soft side.

The other is that I was somewhat dissapointed in wet traction. They weren't really hydroplane prone (though they started doing that a little after about 60k miles). But from a standstill they'd spin on wet tarmack very easily. That was in a FWD, I'd assume a Subie will temper that to a great degree.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Put 5-10k on them then sell them given brand new and used value your loosing some value. But swapping out for different treds by winter is probably a good idea.

I have the 17in bfg advantage grand touring on our 2010. I think I have 20k on them. Far superior to the oem conti crap. They wont be a great snow tire but all other aspects they have been good big improvement over the originals.

Michelin tires in general tend to be pricy but rarely have much to complain about I see them as the safe choice but $$$. Ive never liked Continentials even back in the 80's my Peugot had them and they were nothing to write home about. Tire rack reviews on the stock 15 bridgestone are not horrid.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
There are only three choices available in that size [225/60/R18 H100]
TireRack.com shows a dozen all-season passenger tires in that size
with "100" load rating and 'H' or better speed ratings -- and another
dozen with "99" load ratings (i.e., 55 lbs less load capacity per tire).

BTW, that's a wider selection than the 2015 Premium's 225/65R17
size. OTOH, most of the 225/65R17s have a "102" load rating.

...jus sayin',

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
TireRack.com shows a dozen all-season passenger tires in that size
with "100" load rating and 'H' or better speed ratings -- and another
dozen with "99" load ratings (55 lbs less load capacity per tire).

BTW, that's a wider selection than the 2015 Premium's 225/65R17
size. OTOH, most of the 225/65R17s have a "102" load rating.

...jus sayin',

Looby
My last off road trip we aired the truck to 19lbs. The downer to larger wheel thinner rubber is having nerly zero air down option on the OB. However 99.99% of ob owners will probably ever leave the pavement.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
The downer to larger wheel thinner rubber is having
nearly zero air down option on the OB.
I'm no fan of Gen5 Ltd's jump to 18" -- but to be fair,
they have exactly the same sidewall height as Gen4's
225/60R17. Gen5's 17" gained 7/16" sidewall height,
but the 18" didn't lose any.

IMO, hardly anyone will notice a difference in comfort
or performance between the 17" and 18" Gen5 wheels.
My main complaint is that the 18" wheels are FUGLY!

...everyone is entitled to my opinion,

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm no fan of Gen5 Ltd's jump to 18" -- but to be fair,
they have exactly the same sidewall height as Gen4's
225/60R17. Gen5's 17" gained 7/16" sidewall height,
but the 18" didn't lose any.

Looby
I started a discussion with a few of the guys on our dads 4x4 trip. Three of them owned subarus but all of us were in trucks that trip. All of us pretty much agreed a 16in wheel would probably given a Subaru just enough air down option to possibly do the trail we did, however fear of fender damage would need to be shelved given no doubt fenders would have been dragged a number of times.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Looby
I agree the wheels aren't that great looking but I'm not about to go out and get a new set of rims. Just want it to look like it has some balls.

I've been racing with SCCA for the past 15yrs and I notice a lot....like when the gas tank is getting empty.... sometimes it's annoying.
First thing I noticed were the tires. But yes, your right, most people won't notice.

·
Registered
2005 OB 2.5 5MT, 2015 OB 2.5 Limited
31 Posts
I am taking delivery of a 2015 outback limited which means 18 inch tires (size 225/60/R18 H100). Apparently, the stock tires are Bridgestone Duehler HP A/S (sport). I am not a fan of Bridgestone, and in searching the internet, found that these tires are poorly rated (even on Bridgestone's own corporate site, they score a 2.5!)

So, I am considering replacing them immediately upon delivery. There are only three choices available in that size: (1) Michelin Premier AS, (2) Continental Pure Contact (not ProContact) and (3) Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (not the Comfortred Touring).

My priorities are:
(1) minimum road noise

Thank you !!
craig
I had the same thought. Just picked up my 2015 2.5 Limited. The stock Bridgestones are rated incredibly poorly for snow especially. I've read/heard good things about the Conti PureContact (not ProContact) and plan on going with them. I'll likely switch to a 235/55/18 tire for slightly better handling performance. I'll post pics and a review if I go that route.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Convenience
334 Posts
235 width may be fine for summer, but for winter - if you get any significant amount of snow - narrow and tall 17" dedicated snows may be a better idea

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been looking at tires for the wife's equinox. General Altimax RT43 are getting pretty good ratings. This is the T rated that has the ratings, the H and V speed rated one's don't have enough reviews yet, but they come in the right size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29

Testing on snow and ice
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)

Full test results - they killed on the wet stopping
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=178

I buy tires every year for my current vehicle so I'm always shopping and looking at tire racks reviews and I'm anal about doing my research each time. The five reviews from Subaru drivers are(out of 10) 9.91, 8.83, 8.45, 8.4, and 7.4.

The Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology tires mentioned are also rated very highly, but you'll be spending about $23 more per tire, and they don't have any winter test results up yet for them.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 ltd
6 Posts
I'm also expecting a delivery of 2015 Outback with 18" Wheels, they look alright but I usually like to run a set of separately mounted winters...I was thinking of running 17" like wheels on my 2010 Outback Ltd but after checking the specs listed on www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels it appears the 18" have a 114.3 PCD & inset of 55 (???). will a 5x100 w/ offset 48 bolt up ??? I ran a set of 16x6.5 Subaru wheels with 225/65/16 and those seemed fine on the 2010...

·
Registered
6 Posts
michelin latitude tour HP

best tires I have ever had. Very good in snow, rain. quiet and improved handling. will putting these on my 2015 outback 3.6. trading in 2012 outback.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited (option 23, popular #5)
9 Posts
I ordered my 16 and will be asking the dealer if they can swap tires upon arrival.

BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/P SPORT AS (Stock Tires)
Wet: 6.9
Ice: 2.9
Treadwear: 6.6
Noise: 7.2
Warranty: 40,000

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S
Wet: 9.5
Ice: 8.1
Treadwear: 9.3
Noise: 8.7
Warranty: 60,000

CONTINENTAL PURECONTACT WITH ECOPLUS TECHNOLOGY
Wet: 9.2
Ice: 7.6
Treadwear: 8.7
Noise: 8.3
Warranty: 70,000

GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
Wet: 8.5
Ice: 7.3
Treadwear: 8.7
Noise: 8.1
Warranty: 75,000

I'll going with the Continentals if the dealer gives me a good deal, otherwise I will get the Michelin's at Costco.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
4 Posts

My priorities are:
(1) minimum road noise

Thank you !!
craig
I have the Michelin Premier A/S on my Gen3 Outback XT and really like them. In my opinion they hit all of your priorities very well. I drive up to the mountains weekly in the winter and they are quiet, do well in the snow, and very smooth. I would recommend them and when the our Forester XT needs tires I will install the Premiers on it as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts