Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback that is in pristine condition. Only problem is it gets a little squirrelly occasionally in wet conditions, so I have been told new tires will help. It has some cheap skinny street tires on it right now, and I am looking for good all terrain tires for driving back roads in the hills of Tennessee.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
You may get better suggestions if you clarify: paved or dirt roads?

If you're staying on pavement, a good set of all-seasons is likely all you need. Lots of good choices for that.

If the car needs more help on dirt roads, trails and tracks, then you'd want to look into a real all-terrain tire. Those have a few trade-offs (weight, expense, significantly less retail availability, noise when on pavement) which may not be desirable, so think it over and maybe post a clarification of your needs.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
moved to the tire section.

and yes a AWD subaru will be all wheel spin if it has poor tires on it for the condition.

it is possible on a used legacy outback to find plain legacy or forester or impreza tires on it, as the wheels are the same / similar.

and big outbacks typically come with the biggest / widest tires of the subaru bunch, (before Tribeca/ Ascent were thought of anyway).

you might like something similar to a yokohama geolander.

Or if you drive on snow and mud alot: a year round snow like a toyo celcius or a Nokian WRG3. (designed not to melt in warm weather).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,719 Posts
a '99 could have other suspension and steering issues - wouldn't hurt to get an experienced eye on those - bushings, tie rods, anti roll bar endlinks et.

You might find a local Discount Tire and have a discussion with them about your intended driving conditions and your budget for tires. They may even have other Subaru driving customers that have found some tires they like.

If your tires are extremely worn - they may hydroplane much more easily now than when they were new.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
oh I forgot about alignments.

you can have a bad alignment on 4 wheels and the car will still track straight, = aided by the AWD.

however as it is not laying as much rubber on the road as it should any rain or snow will make it loose any grip it has.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
It has some cheap skinny street tires on it right now
that's probably the issue.

what's the 4 digit date stamp - are they a few years old? old cheap tires are asking to wreck.

get some decent tires - there's a billion "what tires for my outback" posts.

otherwise post the brand, model, size, and date stamp as well as driving conditions/exact symptoms/speeds - and maybe we can get a feel for the tires and where the issue lies between aggressive driving/challenging roads and tire/suspension issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts